Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed21st Century Schizoid Band. Hear me out.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 21st Century Schizoid Band. Hear me out.
    Posted: April 08 2007 at 01:54
Why were they rejected?  We've got original lineup members, some of which wrote the bulk of early KC, especially In The Court.  We've got covers of old songs, as well as new material by said songwriters.  Sounds an awful lot like Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe to me, but they're present on the archives.

Can we get -past- this hypocritical policy of not adding bands that happen to do covers?  Phish do more covers than originals, and they're here.  ABWH's concert disc is primarily Yes covers with a few originals thrown in, just like 21CSB's Live In Japan release.  It's not like they're The Musical Box (who are rather good), with no real ties...  this is -the- band that King Crimson almost became when Fripp offered to leave the band so it could continue.

Why the exclusionism?  21CSB is an important part of the prog scene, and by not including them, we are doing a disservice to our readers by not giving them any information or a forum for reviewing.  Oh, and their original material kicks ass and is -quite- prog.

Edited by Man Overboard - April 08 2007 at 03:39
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 06:42
1. For additional information (not on the band in question, but on the discussion on its in-(ex-)clusion see the following thread: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23109&PN=1;

2. Personally, I believe that they are worth to be included.

Eugene
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 07:50
At this point, I think the matter should be taken up by the Admin team. I'll post something later in the Admin Zone to see if the others agree to their addition, and where they should be put - the Crimson Jazz Trio are in Prog-Related, but off the top of my head I wouldn't be able to say where the Schizoid band belong (PR? Art Rock? Symphonic? Various Artists?Confused)
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 08:56
We recently ran across something that was added to symphonic, but was two musicians on piano playing Genesis music. We are having them moved. In my opinion, tribute bands do not belong alongside the artists they emulate. However, there is something to be said for their contribution. One suggestion was a tribute section. That idea appeals to me, but we have to set some parameters. Do we add every type of cover recording ever done? That would include muzak. Should it be just progressive artists? Or should we restrict it to artists who dedicate themselves to a particular band?

Edited by bhikkhu - April 08 2007 at 08:57
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 11:09
Who said they were rejected?
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 13:50
I don't see how they can be mentioned in the same breath as "tribute bands"; they are the majority of the original lineup, performing old material as well as new original material.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 19:42
Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

I don't see how they can be mentioned in the same breath as "tribute bands"; they are the majority of the original lineup, performing old material as well as new original material.

The question is, have they recorded any original material?

Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 19:57
Well, I'm not sure...

But look at this http://www.artist-shop.com/21stcsb/index.htm, please. The relevant parts are those related to the group in question.

The words in the paragraph speaking on Live In Italy CD may be interpreted (understood?) as a proof that there are recording you're asking about.

Eugene

Edited by Fassbinder - April 08 2007 at 19:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 00:27
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

The original material appears on the live releases, it was not omitted, so yes, it was recorded.  Or are you saying it has to be studio for it to count? Wink
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 09:44

The original material appears on the live releases, it was not omitted, so yes, it was recorded.  Or are you saying it has to be studio for it to count? Wink

This is such an odd case. It's like an almost band. It really mystifies me that in all this time they haven't done an original studio album. The truth is I don't know what to think about these guys . For now I would say to put them with the rest of the tributes. Once they have released a proper album of original music, then we can put them in a regular genre. So far all I see is a few singles.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 10:45

This is such an odd case. It's like an almost band. It really mystifies me that in all this time they haven't done an original studio album. The truth is I don't know what to think about these guys . For now I would say to put them with the rest of the tributes. Once they have released a proper album of original music, then we can put them in a regular genre. So far all I see is a few singles.

There's an extreme parallel with ABWH.  ABWH is 4 ex-Yes members with a new musician, Schizoid Band is 4 ex-Crims with a new musician.  ABWH's live shows were predominantly Yes tracks with a few originals, Schizoid Band's live shows are predominantly KC tracks with a few originals.

Once again, why are they not here yet?  Ouch  Do it in the memory of Ian Wallace...
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 18:04

There's an extreme parallel with ABWH.  ABWH is 4 ex-Yes members with a new musician, Schizoid Band is 4 ex-Crims with a new musician.  ABWH's live shows were predominantly Yes tracks with a few originals, Schizoid Band's live shows are predominantly KC tracks with a few originals.Once again, why are they not here yet?  Ouch  Do it in the memory of Ian Wallace...

ABWH recorded an entirely new album.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 18:33
So a studio release is necessary to be added to the archives, even if all the other criteria is spot-on?
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 19:33

So a studio release is necessary to be added to the archives, even if all the other criteria is spot-on?

I think an album containing a majority of original material (live or studio) would help. And I think if they had an album's worth of originals, they probably would get into the studio.

Edited by bhikkhu - April 09 2007 at 19:35
 Post Reply Post Reply