FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInterview with Roine Stolt of TFK, April 2007

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interview with Roine Stolt of TFK, April 2007
    Posted: April 21 2007 at 13:18
Here is a brand-new interview with Roine Stolt, mastermind behind The Flower Kings, conducted recently, with questions from the readers of ProgArchives Smile

Aaron:  First off, I'd like to say thank you very much for taking time from your busy schedule to answer these questions for your fans :)

1) Rob Bennett, from Bel Air, Maryland, USA asks: The 20th Anniversary of The Lonely Heartbeat is approaching, will we see any songs from that album return to the setlist? I'd love to hear a TFK rendition of "Crawl Like An Animal"..

Roine:  Oh ,you reminded me of an album that I almost forgot , but yes there are a few good tracks on it .
However I doubt that we will play any of these live at the moment ,there are too much material laying around ,waiting to be played.

2) Matias Schlotfeldt, from Santiago, Chile asks: How do you do to compose all the great music you've composed? I mean, It's just too much for just one person!

I really can't say ,why and how it comes into realization. I guess I just work hard and I happen to be a creative person with a strong imagination and a good sense of musical poetry .
Besides this is what I do for a living so I've worked out some sort of formula and I've learnt the tricks and trades and I've been around for a while ,almost 30 years in the biz.

3) Carl Swallow, from Liverpool, England inquires: Roine, where do you get your inspiration from, after all these years? In other words, what is your motivation?

My motivation is to create ,to see how far I can take it ,to see what new ideas can be created and developed
within the framworks of Flowerkings.
Other than that see question/answer 2 .

4) Rai Hamilton, from Arlington, Massachusetts, USA asks: How did you like playing The Regent Theater in Arlington last year? Would you consider coming back?

Definitely ,it was a nice theater and I liked Arlington
audience .
Hopefully we'll be back next USA tour .

5) John Mattern, from Omaha, Nebraska, USA asks: Does you ever get frustrated or down on your craft when you sees others making big money from music who have a tiny fraction of your talent?

No , well maybe sometimes but rarely these days.
I've come to realise that nothing is fair in the music biz .
There is seldom a relation between talent and success/ money.
I'm fairly happy with just having the chance to do what I do ,besides no one is going to be remembered for the money they earned,everyone is going to be judged by their creativity and the quality of their output.
Here I feel I've already made a few statements that will live on .

6) Evandro De Martini, from Rio De Janeiro, Brazil asks: What would you say to people who say prog-rock is dead?

I'd say : Open up your eyes!
Progrock lives and florish today ,but maybe not as "mega" as it was in the 70's .
On the other hand I believe there are more records released today in the genre than ever .

7) J. Gatten, from London, Ontario, Canada inquires: What is your opinion of file-sharing and the downloading of music on the internet?

It does exist and we can't help prevent that , so we think we will join in and in time let people download some of our concerts for a minimum fee .
I'm shure it's gonna be OK.

8) Alberto, from Monterrey, Mexico, asks: What is your opinion on Scarsick, the newest album from former bandmate Daniel Gildenlow?

I have not heard it yet , well I heard a few bars , it sounds fine to me,Daniel is very talented and very
creative,I just wish the audience would see more of the complete Daniel ,meaning also his humoristic side ,as Daniel is a very funny guy to be around with a good sense of humor.
I really enjoyed having Daniel in the band ,it's sad he can't tour with us anymore,but I respect his political standpoint .

9) Matt R., from Flanders, New Jersey, USA asks: Do you ever visit ProgArchives? And how do you think the classic prog compares to the progressive rock being made today?

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to visit sites.
As for modern v/s old prog .
I think there are good and bad things about both .
However I feel some of the 70's bands do have more to offer in terms of originality and melody .
Some of the new bands like Porcupine Tree,DT or even Spocks are all great players and the production is stellar but they sometimes lack in melody ,invention and the magic that I found in Yes,Pink Floyd,Genesis or Crimson.

10) And finally, I myself would like to ask: Could you tell us about some of the solo projects that are coming?

I wish I could but ,I don't know .
Well I know that Tomas Bodin is working on one album he calls : "You Are" ,pretty much a follow up to "I Am"
Jonas Reingold's project KARMAKANIC has also a album almost ready called "Who Is The Boss In The Factory".
I'm working on a few things ,one being a more orchestrated and acoustic thing and also a more straight art rock/pop/ blues record that display more of my guitarwork .

But first the new Flowerkings compilation CD "The Road Back Home" .Plus in september TFK release a new Studio CD ,working on it as I speak.
So stay tuned .

Again, thank you very much for your time, and I hope to see you and the rest of the Kings on the road!
chessman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 17:01
Excellent interview! Thanks for asking my question. Smile
How did you find Roine? Was he relaxed and happy to answer the questions?
I get the impression he is a very down to earth, matter of fact chap, no big ego in sight!

Carl
Fight Club View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 19:58
Very NICE! Big%20smile Clap Thumbs%20Up
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 20:08
hey! you didnt ask him wazap?

"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2007 at 19:20
Hohoo, september it is then

/me drools all over the place!
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2007 at 07:20
Really nice interciew.
I think, that in the case of TFK compilation albums don't make much sense(well, in prog they usually don't), 2-4 of their best tracks covers almost a whole CD, especially if it's released in the same year with the new studio album.
proglil49 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2007 at 08:31
Great work!!!
I want to be an astronaut
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2007 at 15:42
Yeah, nice interview.  Really looking forward to all the albums he mentioned, except of course the compilation since I already have everything on it.  Might serve as a good intro for some people though I suppose, or perhaps judging from the tracklist something of a crossover for turning people on to prog who are not familiar with it.  Personally though, I hate compilations.
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 16:33
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Yeah, nice interview.  Really looking forward to all the albums he mentioned, except of course the compilation since I already have everything on it.  Might serve as a good intro for some people though I suppose, or perhaps judging from the tracklist something of a crossover for turning people on to prog who are not familiar with it.  Personally though, I hate compilations.

You must not know much about this compilation Wink  Roine Stolt isn't the kind of man who'd just throw a bunch of songs together and call it a day...  every single song on the 2-disc best of has been reworked.  Not just remastered, but alternate vocal parts, solos, melodies, etc, giving each of them a whole new feeling, similarly to seeing them live, but with Roine's expert production.

I've already heard two tracks from it (My Cosmic Lover and Stardust Part III), and those -alone- have me drooling for it, I can't wait to see what he does with the rest of the songs Big%20smile
Real Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 14:16
Actually I like Flower Kings and Stolt's expertise in terms of production they seem very original doing it,But I must agree there's some ups and downs in the album.
What is This?
It is what keeps us going...
 Post Reply Post Reply