Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMushroom (USA)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mushroom (USA)
    Posted: April 24 2007 at 05:30

Mushroom : Glazed Popems (Black Beauty 2006)

I found this one in the prog-section of a record shop and was kind of intrigued by the cover-art. It looked a little bit  too 60's to be real! I didn't knew neither the band nor the label, but it was quite cheap so I bought it.

'Mushroom' (there was  a 70's German band with the same name) is a Californian band centered around the leader Pat Thomas and 'Glazed Popems' is  their 10th release. As you might have guessed from the cover the band is deep into Psychdelic. In fact they reproduce some Prog currents like Psychedelic, Space , Krautrock and Prog Folk on vintage instruments and based on collective improvisation. So long, so good. 'Glazed Popems is a double CD and has 2 distinct moods on each CD : the first one is called 'London' -yes, you got the picture- and is influenced  by early Pink Floyd, Amon Düul with some Foilk influences (one track is called 'Hats Of To Bert Jansch'). The overall concept and sound is quite attractive, but  lacks interesting compositions  and all tracks start of with promissing athomspheres that go kind of nowhere.

The second CD is called 'Oakland'  and presents a combination of Soul, Electric Miles Davis and Soft Jazz rock with some Psy elements and heavy use of the mighty Fender Rhodes. IMO the Oakland CD is more interesting, the melodic and rhythmic material is more challenging and the  dynamics are better.

If you want a trip back in time you should give them a listen!

PS favourite song title: ' Just Because Nobody Understands You, That  Doesn't Mean That You Are An Artist'

PS 2 you have some trashy 60's psy-nude-pics on the CD's and the booklett, that fit the 'Oakland' CD atmo quite well  

Edited by Alucard - April 24 2007 at 08:44
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Witchwoodhermit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 17:30
This album also had me stumped at first. I heard there was an Irish band from the 60's/70's with the same name. I didn't know what I had, but was very impressed with the music. Excellent "retro" sound quality. Many of the times Mushroom doesn't even sound like a modern band. Amazing.
Mushroom have several albums, but I haven't heard any of the others. If they are as good as Glazed Popems, definately worth looking into.Clap
Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.
 Post Reply Post Reply