Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ry Wilson regrets being with Genesis,too
    Posted: April 26 2007 at 20:09
I just thought this might interest some of you:
http://living.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=602912007

Heptade View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2007 at 20:19
Hmmmm....well, he shouldn't really have taken the gig then, should he? Still, he does seem to have been frozen out (perhaps Hackett can relate a bit?).

A Tim Finn reference is quite welcome to me, by the way...I'm a frenz of the Enz.
The world keeps spinning, people keep sinning
And all the rest is just bullsh*t
-Steve Kilbey
lighthouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2007 at 23:06
Never step into a successful band and replace the singer  seems to mostly cause problems  , most bands are better off calling themselves another name and starting again Smile
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2007 at 23:58
Originally posted by lighthouse lighthouse wrote:

Never step into a successful band and replace the singer  seems to mostly cause problems  , most bands are better off calling themselves another name and starting again Smile

I think that would have been a good idea when Hackett left or by Abacab at the latest.

iguana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2007 at 03:30
it just didn't match personally, as RW stated.
generations and classes cannot always be bridged successfully.
musically it was OK, albeit a bit generic. but i love the guy's
voice and i thought he blended well with genesis. they really
should have done that second album!
progressive rock and rural tranquility don't match. true or false?
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2007 at 04:05
I got CAS again recently and it is indeed a much better album than I remember it being. Some top notch material on it- the title track, Shipwrecked, Uncertain Weather, The Dividing Line and especially There Must Be Some Other Way. The problem with it was that the brand Genesis was obviously used for its 'ready made' appeal, and the publicity for the album I distinctly remember hinted that this would be a return to slightly proggier fare when there are still some Collins/Mike and the Mechanics-like tunes there.

I would agree Ray didn't really get the best deal out of it. The album did fairly well in the UK- Number 2, I think- and Europe but it did not really register in America and that was the all-important market, I guess. But perhaps they expected too much, few older artists were doing well at that point- even The Stones and McCartney's newer albums sell a lot less than their back catalogue does- so I think they should have stuck with Ray and made another album, something Tony and Mike admitted in an interview I have. Incidentally, on YouTube there is a complete concert from this tour- and a fairly mixed bag it is too. Ray handles the Gabriel songs pretty well but the Phil ones are often poorly arranged, imho.

Edited by salmacis - April 27 2007 at 04:06
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2007 at 04:08
Originally posted by Cheesecakemouse Cheesecakemouse wrote:

I think that would have been a good idea when Hackett left or by Abacab at the latest.

Rutherford sacked Banks and Collins and changed the name to Mike and the Mechanics

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
Frasse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2007 at 05:05
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

Originally posted by Cheesecakemouse Cheesecakemouse wrote:

Rutherford sacked Banks and Collins and changed the name to Mike and the Mechanics

Wasn't it Collins who sacked Rutherford and Banks but still used them as studio musicians on some of his solo albumsWink

Edited by Frasse - April 27 2007 at 05:06
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2007 at 06:25
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

I got CAS again recently and it is indeed a much better album than I remember it being. Some top notch material on it- the title track, Shipwrecked, Uncertain Weather, The Dividing Line and especially There Must Be Some Other Way. The problem with it was that the brand Genesis was obviously used for its 'ready made' appeal, and the publicity for the album I distinctly remember hinted that this would be a return to slightly proggier fare when there are still some Collins/Mike and the Mechanics-like tunes there.

I would agree Ray didn't really get the best deal out of it. The album did fairly well in the UK- Number 2, I think- and Europe but it did not really register in America and that was the all-important market, I guess. But perhaps they expected too much, few older artists were doing well at that point- even The Stones and McCartney's newer albums sell a lot less than their back catalogue does- so I think they should have stuck with Ray and made another album, something Tony and Mike admitted in an interview I have. Incidentally, on YouTube there is a complete concert from this tour- and a fairly mixed bag it is too. Ray handles the Gabriel songs pretty well but the Phil ones are often poorly arranged, imho.

I agree completely!
Ray Wilson has a beautiful voice, even if it is completely different from Peter and Phil's, and it merged suitably with the music.
Maybe he did not get along well with Tony and Mike...

A second album would have been welcome by me!

About the handling of Peter's songs: I really like the "unplugged" version of Lover's Leap on one of the "Shipwrecked" single CDs!
A flower?

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2007 at 08:04

'IT was like being asked to be director of the Royal Bank of Scotland," Ray Wilson replies frankly when asked how it felt to be invited to front legendary rock group Genesis.

"It was too corporate and I never felt comfortable because of the class difference. But when something like that comes along, it's hard to say no. I'm often asked if I regret working with them. And I do."

Speaking as an employee of RBS, Ray Wilson would probably make a good director!

But if he regrets working with them, why is he still touring advertising himself as ex-Genesis and playing Genesis songs?

Edited by chopper - April 27 2007 at 08:05
 Post Reply Post Reply