FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSonolumina

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sonolumina
    Posted: April 27 2007 at 04:23
Sonolumina is in its infancy... but I thought I had good enough song samples up for you to get the idea, and this way people can see as it progresses.

Members: Me (Jamie K.) - all instruments at the moment,  and Melissa I. - vocals... but we actually don't have a good recording of her yet.

Sub-Genre: Combination of symphonic prog, neo-prog, and metal.  Hmm, perhaps we are neo-symph-prog-metal?  Actually, there is at least one point at which we cross into folk prog, too.   Does this mean we are Art Rock?  I think I might need help to define this.

Bio:  Technically, this band started about two years ago, when Melissa and I both realized we were determined to be involved in music (in more than just a listening capacity).  She was inspired by Nightwish, while I was inspired by bands like Yes and Opeth.  I already had a large backlog of songs I'd written down, so I started diverting more energy to it.  I found an outlet briefly with two other people, in a band that lasted about a year called The J.A.M. Experiment.  But, since they weren't prog-rockers, it didn't work very well.  A few months ago, we came up with the name Sonolumina, and are sticking with it, and I started recording song-outlines (which are what's on the myspace page this post links to).  About 2/3 of the songs are inspired by events, people or things I've seen in my life, and the rest are based on fiction (mostly sci-fi or fantasy) or fictional characters.

Songs:
http://www.myspace.com/sonolumina

Note that the samples on that page are just outlines/rough recordings.  Right now, this is pretty much a one-person show, and I haven't worked in much in the way of solos or even overlaid more than one instrument in multi-track.  But I would like to know what you think of the overall structure of the songs, and if you have any tips on mixing I'd be very grateful.  You can scroll down in the standalone player on that page to play a 5th song clip (which is the ending to a song inspired by Calculating God by Robert Sawyer).

(You can also go to http://www.myspace.com/thejamexperimentband to hear more of the songs I wrote - those recordings are generally low quality, but 'Wings of Ash' is the most finished song sample I have available, and is very much prog metal.  Since that band is dead, we're going to re-record those songs eventually under the Sonolumina name).

Edited by StarsongAgeless - May 17 2007 at 12:54
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2007 at 22:13
Nice post, Jamie. Thanks! Thumbs%20Up

Edited by Atkingani - April 29 2007 at 00:10
Guigo

~~~~~~
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 00:14
I liked what I've heard... Smile

Melissa's voice has an amazing timbre that should be better exploited. More training and the benefit will be great.

'Dawn, version 3' impressed me the most. Nice tune and a certain new-symphonic trend may be perceived.

Just expecting to hear new stuff from SONOLUMINA adolescence! Wink
Guigo

~~~~~~
StarsongAgeless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 16:24
Thanks Smile

Melissa is actually taking voice lessons to improve her already amazing voice - but that's actually me on the recordings.  Melissa doesn't have the resources or knowledge to record herself yet, and she lives about 6 hours away from me right now.  In a few months when I move, I'll be close enough to actually work with her on recordings.

'Dawn' is also my favorite at the moment... the version 3 recording in particular turned out very pretty (I thought).  In my previous band, the other band members shortened the song to about 3 minutes, which really didn't work in my opinion, so I think I spent a lot of energy making this recording so I would like the song again. :)

At the moment I'm actually sitting here mixing new harmonies into another song, which I'll probably put up soon!
Check out the Unsigned Bands section!
"Like the time I ran away, and turned around and you were standing close to me." Yes' Awaken
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 17:29
Well, no new comments for a few days, but I thought I'd post to tell anyone who comes here, there is a new song on the site (http://www.myspace.com/sonolumina).

The new song is a version of 'Wings of Ash' with some backing vocals put in.  The recording of the drums/keyboard is over a year old at this point, and there are a lot of mistakes in it since it was recorded live and it was only about the 3rd time we'd played the song.  Drums were played by the drummer from The J.A.M. Experiment (there's a link to that page on the 1st post).  'Wings of Ash' is definately a heavy prog-metal song, the thing is there are no guitars or bass recorded for it yet.  To hear much better musicianship for the same song, you can go to The J.A.M. Experiment page.
Atomic_Rooster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 15:57
wow!  good stuff, I'll have to check back periodically to see when the lead vocals are added.

I think I'd actually buy an album if it were available
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 16:02
Sounds good.
Atomic_Rooster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 16:08
your guitar playing is very reminiscent of Roy Albrighton of Nektar without his signature wahh riffing (definitely a good thing)
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 18:03
Originally posted by Atomic_Rooster Atomic_Rooster wrote:

wow!  good stuff, I'll have to check back periodically to see when the lead vocals are added.

I think I'd actually buy an album if it were available

Thanks!  Smile  That's a huge compliment!

Originally posted by Atomic_Rooster Atomic_Rooster wrote:

your guitar playing is very reminiscent of Roy Albrighton of Nektar without his signature wahh riffing (definitely a good thing)

Hehe yeah I'm not crazy about wah-sounds, either.  An interesting comparison, now that I think about it I see what you mean.  I'm going to have to listen to Nektar again... I enjoy some of their longer songs in particular.
"Like the time I ran away, and turned around and you were standing close to me." Yes' Awaken
asimplemistake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 19:13
Uh oh, I just noticed that I never posted a comment after the first time I listened to your songsConfused.   So, this is now after hearing the songs multiple times.

I really enjoy "Dawn Version 3", the guitars are all very nice and of course so is the singing.  It reminds me of the singing from Nightwish because of that timbre and tone.  Very cool.  I feel as though this song could maybe use some drums, but thats just my opinion.  It's still a good song, I just personally enjoy having something that can help express tempo and rhythm, but it isn't necessary.

I really love the piano in "Blinded".  The singing here fits perfectly, and I love the feel of this song.  Very nice.

Summer has a cool intro, a little bit of static (during the clean guitar sections) but it doesn't bother me much.  Again nice singing, I really like it.  The only critique I would have about it is that it can be hard to understand what's being said sometimes. 

The last one, "Wings of Ash" may just be my favorite.  It's a very dramatic song, and has the inclusion of percussion.  Could be mixed a little bit better, but the music still is amazing here. 

Very good stuff here, I like it a lot
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 01:12
Originally posted by asimplemistake asimplemistake wrote:

I really enjoy "Dawn Version 3", the guitars are all very nice and of course so is the singing.  It reminds me of the singing from Nightwish because of that timbre and tone.  Very cool.  I feel as though this song could maybe use some drums, but thats just my opinion.  It's still a good song, I just personally enjoy having something that can help express tempo and rhythm, but it isn't necessary.

I really love the piano in "Blinded".  The singing here fits perfectly, and I love the feel of this song.  Very nice.

Summer has a cool intro, a little bit of static (during the clean guitar sections) but it doesn't bother me much.  Again nice singing, I really like it.  The only critique I would have about it is that it can be hard to understand what's being said sometimes. 

The last one, "Wings of Ash" may just be my favorite.  It's a very dramatic song, and has the inclusion of percussion.  Could be mixed a little bit better, but the music still is amazing here. 

Very good stuff here, I like it a lot

Tongue  I do the same thing all the time, asimplemistake.

I agree with you on 'Dawn' - it needs drums, badly! The stuff I have up now is more meant to attract potential band members than be finished work.  Right now it's only me on the recordings, and I hope that sometime soon there will be more people involved than that.  I actually worked with a drummer during the past year on 'Dawn' and 'Wings of Ash', but he moved to CA.  I also enjoy the additional emphasis drums can give, and I wish I had some of that on this recording!

By the way, if any of you out there are drummers, feel free to try putting a drum part to this, or any of the songs I have up here, I'd love to hear it!  Especially if you live somewhere near Middleboro, MA, where I'll be moving shortly. Smile  But don't let that stop you...

'Blinded' is the newest recording so far - glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks for letting me know about how it's hard to understand the lyrics in 'Summer', that's definitely something that needs to be addressed.  I can put up lyrics on the site, and in addition I plan on making a new recording soon.  The static is basically a result of me not knowing what I'm doing when it comes to recording and mixing, but I'm learning...slowly! Big%20smile

A  more percussive version of 'Wings of Ash' is actually available at http://www.myspace.com/thejamexperimentband , which is the band name under which I worked with a drummer and another singer/guitar player/etc.   You might want to listen to that, although a lot of the singing notes are a little off... in her defense, though, it was almost the first time she ever sang the song.   I love this song, myself... it actually comes from a dream I had, I woke up with this tune in my head and rushed to my keyboard to pound it out.

I actually know very little about mixing, which is a huge part of why some things don't turn out the way I want them to... all of these recordings were done either live or in my home where I just have a computer and a $10.00 microphone.  If anyone has any tips on mixing I would be very grateful... even if you had any tips on good places to go to record your music near Middleboro or Boston, MA, it would help a lot!

Thank you so much for your comments.  It helps so much, and it is great to know that someone is listening!

Actually, I decided I'll post some lyrics here so you can read them right away.  First I'll do 'Summer' since you said that one was hard to understand:

'Summer' ~ Sonolumina

Got a full popcorn belly
We get to play at being free
Splash, splash and say we're telling
We're all here, one two three

If I'd known the rest of our lives 'til now
I'd have kept you here
In the day
In the backyard
In the clear cool water

We doused each other
With water guns, hoses and balloons
Clothes on the line
Snap in the wind above
Nothing tasted so sweet
As it did in those days

Days... I miss you there
Every time I see the sun now
And when it hides,
I miss you even more
And I don't run
From anything but remembering
And regret.

And if I'd somehow known
The rest of our lives 'til now
I'd have kept you here
In the day
In the backyard
In the clear cool water

Ice cream eyes
Friendly as can be
She's just a baby
He's just a boy
Hanging over his knee
Dirty floor
Let's leave the house some more
Summertime
I try to save a dime

And I think of all the times
I looked into those eyes
And didn't see
The evil lying there in wait
For other children
Just like me

Shufflefoot
Never lied to me
Like a baby
Some say crazy
Dirty, dirty, dirty
Let's be happy, happy, happy
There's hot chocolate
And it's mine, mine, mine

And I think of all the times
looked into those eyes
And didn't see
For other children
Just like me

What's a meat drum, momma?
What's a meat drum?
Why  won't you tell me, momma?
What's a meat drum?
I never saw nobody
Play no meat drum
I never saw nobody
Play no meat drum

I think of all the times
I looked into those eyes
And didn't see
For other children
Just like me

Other people just like me
Please forgive me, please
I didn't see

Edited by StarsongAgeless - May 06 2007 at 01:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 10:19
Whoops, I never thanked you for your comment, king of siam.  Thank-you. :)

At the moment I am working on an epic-length song inspired by a book by Robert Sawyer called Calculating God.  I've worked out most of it, although it's not a literal telling of the entire story, just focusing on some sections and one character.  I had a short sample of the song's ending up previously, although it's not on the site right now.  I'm currently sifting through about 40 minutes worth of music, cutting things and placing them in the order that I'm most happy with.  Once that's done I'll put it up, along with lyrics on this thread.

EDIT:  By the way, does anyone know if I need Robert Sawyer's permission to do this?  I know there is a lot of Tokein-based music, but... well... he's dead, and Robert Sawyer is very much alive and writing.  I can't get sued, can I?  Is this protected under the fair use clause?

Edited by StarsongAgeless - May 08 2007 at 10:20
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 10:38
Err...yes. It's tricky. There was a thread around, about two months ago, with the same legal issue. Ivan_Melgar_M provided a couple of good answers (he's a lawyer), sorry, I really don't remember the thread's name. Try to browse a little bit.

And by the way...lovely music. Nice playing (I like tastefully dosed instruments and melodies), and Melissa's voice is enchanting! (especially on overdubbed vocal harmonies). Intelligent, mature and lovely duo you are. Keep up the good work. It's worth it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 18:05
Thanks, clarke2001!  I'm glad you enjoyed the music.  Just to let you know, that's actually my voice in there, not Melissa's yet.  People keep telling me my voice is nice, but hers is actually much much better... her range is unbelievable, and her tone is more clear and can get much more powerful.  I'll still be doing some backing vocals, though.

Thanks for letting me know about that thread - I searched for it but haven't found it yet, I'm wondering if maybe it is gone.  I don't know how often this site cleans up threads that haven't been posted in for a while.
zFrogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 01:31
Hi Jamie, How you doing?

I really love your tunes and I need to say thanks for your comments about my songs. Melissa's voice is very beautiful. Sorry about the delay for comment here. Hey, if you need my collaboration just tell me ok!? Amazing, amazing tunes. Congratulations for both you and Melissa and I really like to know more about J.A.M. Experiment. My doubt is your voice or Melissa?
Peace.

Eri
https://www.instagram.com/erifrog/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 01:17
Hi Eri :)  I'm doing well, very busy since I am moving in just a few days.  I'm actually sitting on the floor at my computer right now because all my furniture is gone except for the bed!  And yourself?

I'm glad you enjoy the music - I really liked what I heard on your site.  I'd be very happy to collaborate with you.  Sorry I didn't see your message before, I haven't been on the site in a while because I've been so busy, or I would have responded earlier.  I'll send a PM!  Right now that is actually my voice on the Sonolumina website.  I have worked on several of the songs with Melissa but she needs some equipment to record with on her own.  Two of the songs on the J.A.M. Experiment site are actually Amy singing, who is now living in California and is not interested in pursuing this music further.

I actually just finished a very rough mix of a song called 'Faith' and came here to let you all know it is up.  The keyboard/drums were recorded over a year ago, the first time I played the song with drummer Mike W. from the J.A.M. Experiment (so there are lots and lots of mistakes etc.).  But I figured at least it's a version of the song that I was able to put up, for something new.  Enjoy!

Post Reply Post Reply