Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew DT single download

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 17:45
wtf are you lunatics talking about....that song is AWESOME..it only sounds like metallica at one part . the guitar and keyboard solo were amazingSmile

Edited by cyberiancygnus - April 28 2007 at 17:45

proglil49 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 20:18
I hope the rest of the album is better, otherwise I won't buy it.
I want to be an astronaut
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 20:53
Originally posted by cyberiancygnus cyberiancygnus wrote:

wtf are you lunatics talking about....that song is AWESOME..it only sounds like metallica at one part . the guitar and keyboard solo were amazingSmile

In their own right, yeah the solos are amazing, but that Petrucci solo could have come off Suspended Animation and I wouldn't have known it was the same. Petrucci is stagnating. Rudess's solo was completely obnoxious and made the song worse. Great playing, but not memorable or really even enjoyable, IMO.
lighthouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 20:54

Go easy on the word "lunatic" ever since they let me out of the asylum I've been a bit sensitive about that word   Wink
tardis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 21:19
I always find being called a lunatic is a compliment Smile
MajesterX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 21:31

How are the solos amazing? Please explain.
cyberiancygnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 02:58
Originally posted by MajesterX MajesterX wrote:

How are the solos amazing? Please explain.

ok , i personaly thought the solos were very well played and complimented the song perfectly..did you not think so ? Smile

cyberiancygnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 02:59
Originally posted by lighthouse lighthouse wrote:

Go easy on the word "lunatic" ever since they let me out of the asylum I've been a bit sensitive about that word   Wink

i think we all must have a little lunatic in us to listen to prog Tongue

Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 09:09
Both solos are very strong and DO compliment the entire song... John and Jordan did an awesome job, otherwise that song wouldn't be much worth...

Can't wait for the new album!
Aspiring hope View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 12:46

I thought they could only get better after something like Octavarium (the album) - The Score fueled my expectations -, but it turns out they can still surprise me, after all these years. Ok, so there isn't much of a problem about the lyrics, since this is probably the Glass Prison saga song we've heard and Mike'd obviously write it, but when you're announcing an alleged great album, people will misinterpret it to think it won't be a rip off from another band on the first few minutes and a rip off from their own repertoir with riffs of never ending repetition (ok, ok, so it's just this one and Root of All Evil), as well as an instrumental section out of nowehere that could've just easily replaced the rest of the song, for all it's worth, regardless of whether it's original from them or not. A very good instrumental section, aside from soloing (in exception of Myung's contribution), but that's not enough to make a quality song, doesn't even sound like a Single, but I'm not the onecalling the shots on that department, so it might just be. Let's just see if Petrucci can amount to more on the rest of the album...

Edited by Aspiring hope - April 29 2007 at 13:00

This is why you should let Robin save the day...
karakatoa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 12:58
i didnt like it coming from DT Confused,this sounds too metal nearly Metallica LOL
the only part i like is from minute 4 to 5,the true and only progressive part Big%20smile
id wish the other songs sounds different
Atomic_Rooster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 20:58
I don't mean to be a wet blanket or anything, but you should really change the name of this thread to New Shaunkil Stevens (and John Barth) single download

Just a heads up
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2007 at 03:09
^ I bet you even think you're cool.Disapprove
tardis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2007 at 20:42
I didn't get that Confused
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2007 at 21:55
that song gets a big fat "meh..." from me. Ermm
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
tardis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2007 at 22:00
I'm a pretty big DT fan and I wasn't all that impressed either, but I'm going to give the rest of the album a listen when it comes out, then make my verdict. Big%20smile
Morbix View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2007 at 22:03
I definitely agree with an earlier poster, I can see a radio hit out of this, but also agreeing with an earlier poster, the shorter, heavier songs aren't DT at their best.  I can only hope that when my Special Edition gets shipped to me I can take some solace in Portnoy's AA saga continuing. I honestly don't care if people believe that it's a bit corny, Portnoy's putting a difficult personal time in his life on the market as a release. That's art.  A few highlights and....lowlights?

- Definitely a Metallica influence, I wouldn't necessarily say a cop-off, but then again I didn't like their MoP cover. LaBrie's voice doesn't fit with Metallica's style.
- Did anyone else happen to notice the small, almost rap-like segement of LaBrie's?  That weirded me out.
- As always, John Petrucci's fingers give God orgasms. The solo was beast.
- Why the HELL hasn't Portnoy sung more?!?!?
- The lyrics weren't as great as I thought they would be (almost simplistic, like Myung's "Learning To Live") but LaBrie's voice is, as usual, tight and well-vocalized.
- Rudess' solo was good to a point, but when it starts to sound like mashing keys, it degenerates and brings the song down with it.

Edited by Morbix - May 01 2007 at 06:47
Take everything in moderation, including moderation.
giantenemycrab View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 12:01
Originally posted by tardis tardis wrote:

I'm a pretty big DT fan and I wasn't all that impressed either, but I'm going to give the rest of the album a listen when it comes out, then make my verdict. Big%20smile

I really agree with this guy here.  I like DT,  I have liked all their cds so far(yes, including Octavarium). So, I have been really looking forward to this cd.. and I really wanted to like this song, I have tried so hard!   But in the end, yeah, Metallica flavor runs strong through the entire song.   If we wanted just regular heavy metal, we would listen to Metallica!  Confused

What they seem to be doing is focusing on the Metal and less on the prog.. Maybe they needed to have a radio hit with Roadrunner, or they would lose them as a label. Maybe this CD will suck(thus appealing to the mainstream LOL) and a new, proggier one will shortly follow.

Of course, that is mere speculation.   What I do know is this: I don't like the song.  Hopefully Constant Motion is the Never Enough of Systematic Chaos.  Please let it be..

In the end, I am still looking forward to this album, but as of right now, not as much as I was before I heard that song..

Cry
tardis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 14:12
Well said! Clap
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 14:25
Originally posted by Morbix Morbix wrote:

I definitely agree with an earlier poster, I can see a radio hit out of this, but also agreeing with an earlier poster, the shorter, heavier songs aren't DT at their best.  I can only hope that when my Special Edition gets shipped to me I can take some solace in Portnoy's AA saga continuing. I honestly don't care if people believe that it's a bit corny, Portnoy's putting a difficult personal time in his life on the market as a release. That's art.  A few highlights and....lowlights?

- Definitely a Metallica influence, I wouldn't necessarily say a cop-off, but then again I didn't like their MoP cover. LaBrie's voice doesn't fit with Metallica's style.
- Did anyone else happen to notice the small, almost rap-like segement of LaBrie's?  That weirded me out.
- As always, John Petrucci's fingers give God orgasms. The solo was beast.
- Why the HELL hasn't Portnoy sung more?!?!?
- The lyrics weren't as great as I thought they would be (almost simplistic, like Myung's "Learning To Live") but LaBrie's voice is, as usual, tight and well-vocalized.
- Rudess' solo was good to a point, but when it starts to sound like mashing keys, it degenerates and brings the song down with it.

because his voice isn't all that good??Shocked

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>