Topic ClosedNew DT single download

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 15:12
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

because his voice isn't all that good??Shocked

Personally, I really liked his vocals. He should definitely sing backup more often, is what I'm trying to say.
Take everything in moderation, including moderation.
MajesterX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 19:25
Originally posted by cyberiancygnus cyberiancygnus wrote:

ok , i personaly thought the solos were very well played and complimented the song perfectly..did you not think so ? Smile

No, I do not think so.

Of COURSE the solos were played well- It's Dream Theater, they can play almost anything.

How were these solos different from solos they've done in the past? They're not.

John Petrucci played with his awful guitar tone that sounds like your typical solo lead guitar sound with too much bass IMO, and then you have JR's over-used guitar sound.

He's not a guitarist, he shouldn't be trying to sound like one! The solos were just big presentations of how much DT can play- but we know they can play! There is no point to blistering guitar and keyboard trade-off solos that they have worked TO DEATH in the past.

They're not evolving- The song is a combination of Train of Thought and Octavarium.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 19:37
Originally posted by Morbix Morbix wrote:

I definitely agree with an earlier poster, I can see a radio hit out of this, but also agreeing with an earlier poster, the shorter, heavier songs aren't DT at their best.  I can only hope that when my Special Edition gets shipped to me I can take some solace in Portnoy's AA saga continuing. I honestly don't care if people believe that it's a bit corny, Portnoy's putting a difficult personal time in his life on the market as a release. That's art.  A few highlights and....lowlights?

- Definitely a Metallica influence, I wouldn't necessarily say a cop-off, but then again I didn't like their MoP cover. LaBrie's voice doesn't fit with Metallica's style.
- Did anyone else happen to notice the small, almost rap-like segement of LaBrie's?  That weirded me out.
- As always, John Petrucci's fingers give God orgasms. The solo was beast.
- Why the HELL hasn't Portnoy sung more?!?!?
- The lyrics weren't as great as I thought they would be (almost simplistic, like Myung's "Learning To Live") but LaBrie's voice is, as usual, tight and well-vocalized.
- Rudess' solo was good to a point, but when it starts to sound like mashing keys, it degenerates and brings the song down with it.

simplistic? Those are some of the best lyrics DT's ever had, its a shame they don't let Myung write anymore.

Bupie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 04:36
Originally posted by giantenemycrab giantenemycrab wrote:

Of course, that is mere speculation.   What I do know is this: I don't like the song.  Hopefully Constant Motion is the Never Enough of Systematic Chaos.  Please let it be..

In the end, I am still looking forward to this album, but as of right now, not as much as I

It seems that DT's fate is to divide, even their fans : Never Enough is by far my favorite song on Octavarium ...
Morbix View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 20:33
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

Originally posted by Morbix Morbix wrote:

I definitely agree with an earlier poster, I can see a radio hit out of this, but also agreeing with an earlier poster, the shorter, heavier songs aren't DT at their best.  I can only hope that when my Special Edition gets shipped to me I can take some solace in Portnoy's AA saga continuing. I honestly don't care if people believe that it's a bit corny, Portnoy's putting a difficult personal time in his life on the market as a release. That's art.  A few highlights and....lowlights?

- Definitely a Metallica influence, I wouldn't necessarily say a cop-off, but then again I didn't like their MoP cover. LaBrie's voice doesn't fit with Metallica's style.
- Did anyone else happen to notice the small, almost rap-like segement of LaBrie's?  That weirded me out.
- As always, John Petrucci's fingers give God orgasms. The solo was beast.
- Why the HELL hasn't Portnoy sung more?!?!?
- The lyrics weren't as great as I thought they would be (almost simplistic, like Myung's "Learning To Live") but LaBrie's voice is, as usual, tight and well-vocalized.
- Rudess' solo was good to a point, but when it starts to sound like mashing keys, it degenerates and brings the song down with it.

simplistic? Those are some of the best lyrics DT's ever had, its a shame they don't let Myung write anymore.

I heard Learning to Live after hearing Metropolis, I guess my hopes were up from hearing Fatal Tragedy.  I'll give it another chance, I'm just judgemental.  And what do you mean they don't let Myung write!?!? Fatal Tragedy was great! What's wrong with them?
Take everything in moderation, including moderation.
Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2007 at 09:55
Myung is an incredible lyricist. HE should definitely write more.
Aspiring hope View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2007 at 11:52
Myung writes some pretty good and refreshing lyrics (at least in contrast to the more prominent contributions from Portnoy and Petrucci), but there's hardly anything incredible about any of his works with DT. Don't really know how they don't let Myung write anything, but if that's tru and he's really not just a lazyass when it comes to the pen, then it's a great disappointment.

Edited by Aspiring hope - May 03 2007 at 11:54

This is why you should let Robin save the day...
cyberiancygnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2007 at 18:07
Originally posted by MajesterX MajesterX wrote:

They're not evolving- The song is a combination of Train of Thought and Octavarium.

well they wrote and recorded TOT and Oct......maybe they like them and think other people do to.....

Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 20:35
While filling with my info, they ask for my "mobile", what's that?? My celphone?? Confused
Aspiring hope View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 10:16
Yup.

This is why you should let Robin save the day...
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 10:29
Originally posted by Bupie Bupie wrote:

Originally posted by giantenemycrab giantenemycrab wrote:

Of course, that is mere speculation.   What I do know is this: I don't like the song.  Hopefully Constant Motion is the Never Enough of Systematic Chaos.  Please let it be..

In the end, I am still looking forward to this album, but as of right now, not as much as I

It seems that DT's fate is to divide, even their fans : Never Enough is by far my favorite song on Octavarium ...

They have said that this will be a heavy album.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 11:41
Didn't mind Constant Motion, it's fine imho- BTW it's also included on Classic Rock's free CD that's a sampler of Roadrunner's new albums.

I'm playing Train Of Thought now and I can say I definitely prefer this to Octavarium. Honor Thy Father (which I strongly dislike) and to a lesser extent, Endless Sacrifice aside, TOT is excellent and I wouldn't mind if they went back to that style for the new album.

Edited by salmacis - May 11 2007 at 16:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234