Topic ClosedTwo opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two opinions
    Posted: March 19 2004 at 10:40

In my opinion there are always 2 opinions a man must have

A subjective one and an objective one...

When its about music i think you MUST have two opinions...

Its not a matter of taste always....

Any opinions on that??

Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 11:35
Sure, It's like "the Best" and "My Favorite." We could agree on that.   
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 11:35

I guess you're right, but there's nothing harder than an objective opinion!(especially about music)

Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 11:36
So... what defines 'good music'?
diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 12:00
Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

So... what defines 'good music'?

Subjective:
You have to like it
I don't think you really LIKE bad music...

Objective:
Don't know  ...wait...now:
You have to like it
I don't think you really LIKE bad music...

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 12:26

You see? That's what I mean!

So: IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN DEFINE GOOD MUSIC?

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 13:19

i know this is a tough one....

corbet View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 13:20

Easy!  If it is subjectively liked by me, then it is objectively good!  and other people are simply right or wrong depending on whether they agree with me or not.  Isn't that the way it works around here??

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 13:28

huh???????????

i disagree....

I mean...

There are many songs that i like and i say ....This song sucks!!!!How on earth i like it??????????

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 13:49

EXAMPLE: James Labrie.

He's a strong singer with control, tone, power, but I can't stand to hear him sing.

corbet View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 13:54
Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

He's a strong singer with control, tone, power, but I can't stand to hear him sing.

Apparently you have to be that way, for people with modern taste to like you .  I have a few friends heavy into DT and other nu-prog.. they checked out Yes and came back saying, "The music's pretty cool, but I can't stand the singer..."

diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 13:58
Originally posted by corbet corbet wrote:

Apparently you have to be that way, for people with modern taste to like you .  I have a few friends heavy into DT and other nu-prog.. they checked out Yes and came back saying, "The music's pretty cool, but I can't stand the singer..."

That's the first thing I thought  But now I like Yes, AND the singer
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 14:06

The point is, everyone has their own opinion on what they like, but at the same time, the respect for the person or bands abilities. Some stuff you "grow" to love and some..........NOT.

To each his own.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 15:50
You can only be objective about things like whether a musician can play his intstrument to a reasonable technical level.ie Jordan Rudess can play to a very high standard but what he actually does with that ability is not to everyone's taste. When it comes to style or whether you prefer more keyboards or more guitar in the music is entirely a subjective thing.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 16:47

Unfortunately, No. Just look at some of the drivel posted by some PROFESSIONAL REVIEWERS. Not all know there stuff and no two really agree on anything but high water marks. Even then it's an arguement over Moraz, Wakeman, Emerson and whoever........

Make up your OWN mind. Keep the good stuff, discard the rest.  

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 20:46

I think Richardh comes closest to a good approximation of the difference between subjective and objective taste.  I would say that, simplistically, the difference is one between "respecting" something and "liking" it.  I may "respect" a particular musician or singer for their talent - i.e., from a "technical" point of view I may realize and know that they are talented, proficient, etc. - but I may not like what that talent produces; i.e., the music they play or sing.  A good example (from my own point of view): I know that Barbra Steisand has one of the most remarkable sets of "pipes" in the business, and I have extreme respect her talent and abilities.  However, I do not like anything she sings.

In prog, one could say, for example, that they respect a particular guitarist's abilities, but don't like listening to him play - because what he plays does not interest them or, indeed, turns them off.  There is no contradiction here.

Thus, it is not an oxymoron to have "honest respect" for something without actually liking it.  The "respect" is objective - i.e., anyone who knows about music would agree that a particular musician/singer has talent, chops, etc. - while the "liking" of what they do with that talent is subjective.

Peace.

corbet View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2004 at 04:21

Inexplicably, even the objective appraisal of a musician's technical ability can be difficult to establish among varying listeners.  For example, I've played Holdsworth for a few acquaintances whom I knew had an interest in guitar, and some of the responses bewildered me.  Setting aside the issue of whether anyone actually enjoyed the music, on a "respect for ability" level, I've witnessed reactions such as "He's not that fast."  Even if you don't care for what fans would ascribe as Holdsworth's finer attributes (emotion, lyricism, harmonic genius, etc.), I always assumed it was an "objective" reality that the guy can play damned fast!  Anyway, food for thought.

And swmyg0d0fmusic, regarding my previous post on this topic -- I was kidding!  I guess it wasn't as obvious as I thought it was.  I need to start using those smiley things...

Corbet

Tauhd Zaļa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2004 at 05:00

No ways for me !

Music is not a cartesian science but speaks to our feelings, memory, and subjective taste...

I'm sure that a lot of people could like a record today and not the next days

Mood changes....

The State Of Grace Is Achieved
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2004 at 15:25

Unfortunately, No. Just look at some of the drivel posted by some PROFESSIONAL REVIEWERS. Not all know there stuff and no two really agree on anything but high water marks. Even then it's an arguement over Moraz, Wakeman, Emerson and whoever........

Make up your OWN mind. Keep the good stuff, discard the rest.  

Ermm Danbo, I feel moved to reply to that. With the possible exception of the "Special Collaborators," none of us (to my knowledge) are "professional" writers or reviewers. The only "payment" we receive for our reviews is in the form of downloads of (very limited numbers of) the CDs listed, so that we might review them. I myself simply stumbled upon this site, and offered my services. I guess that the site's owners liked my writing enough to give me a "job" here, but this is just a hobby for people like Maani, Corbet and I.

Re the "drivel posted by some" of the site's reviewers, I would appreciate more detail. If you mean that sometimes you strongly disagree with a reviewer's opinion, that's to be expected, as one's reaction to art is a personal thing.

If, however, you are referring to the, shall we say, uneven quality of the writing done by the Archives' reviewers, I think that such remarks could be truly valuable if they were more specific in nature (i.e., whose writing, which review, and what section?), and offered in the form of constructive criticism. I for one am open to suggestions re how to improve my writing, and I know from experience that Max and Ron welcome input as to ways to improve the Archives.

Re our seeming inability to "agree on anything but high water marks," why should we, as independent music fans (who have never even met each other) be expected to agree on a piece of music any more than anyone else? I still think that it can be informative and interesting to hear more than one opinion on a disc/band, but agree that in the end you simply have to decide for yourself. We merely try to help you decide, and provoke interest in the albums we review. 

Sincerely and respectfully,Smile

Peter

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2004 at 22:24

By the way, re Joren's question, I believe that "good" music is a highly personal/subjective notion, but is in any case that which moves you to repeat the listening experience.

We could debate/argue about an individual songwriter's training/background/technical ability all night long, but if Abba's "Dancing Queen" moves you (and MILLIONS of others) to smile, and get up and dance around the room, then the music, insofar as it achieves its goal, is "good" music.

I don't like the music of Shania Twain, but millions do. Is she (and hubby Mutt!) "good" at what she does? Certainly. Should I waste my breath trying to convince a Shania fan that his or her favorite music is commercial garbage? No. I can indicate that I really don't care for such music, but continuing to tear down Shania may just anger that person, and lose me a potential friend, who may well have been otherwise compatible with me.

Asking what is "good" in the (strictly speaking) non-utilitarian, artistic field is an exercise in futility. All answers will hinge upon the individual's taste, which is  formed during the course of a unique life. 

What is "good" food? A nutritionist will tell you one thing, a French chef another!

Therefore, the simplest answer to your question, Joren, is "You tell me." What revs your engine?

My humble opinion....

PS: Maani, CorbetDanbo, Tauhd & others, you said it very well too!

Edited by Peter Rideout
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>