1 [100.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Larval (Bill Brovold)
    Posted: May 03 2007 at 22:56
I realise this poll will attract as much attention as my previous Episome Vs. Soft Mountain poll, but I'll do it anyway.
Bill Brovold started LARVAL in 1995 after his work with Rhys Chatham.
Larval introduced a Post-Rock flare into the general Avant sound (Obedience and to an extent Surviving Death / Alive Why?) or just went for a crazy sax/guitar mode (Predator or Prey).
Here's their bio I wrote for PA:
If you wondered what sound would have a band merging the post rock sound with an avant-garde approach, then Larval is what you were looking for.

The Detroit based band Larval was formed by Bill Brovold (Rhys Chatham) and Erik Gustafson (Blue Dog) in 1995. Their musical interchange was fruitful and included various ideas ranging from free-form jazz to country music as is stated in their myspace. They were soon joined by Beth Wilusz (guitar), Dean Western (bass) and Wil Osler (drums). This lineup however did not make it through and in 1998 they disbanded and Brovold created the second incarnation with Toby Summerfield (guitar), Josh Tillingast (bass), Colin Stetson (saxes), Marko Smith (drums) and Mike Smith (violin). This however was not a stable lineup and was subject to many changes (Zeena Parkins for instance) and the current lineup is:
Kurt Zimmerman (violin, guitar), Gregg Courtney (guitar), Scott (drums), DJ (bass), Bill Brovold (guitar and other stuff) and then there are guests on saxes and other instruments.

As for music, they have been comparisons made with “Glenn Branca, Godspeed You Black Emperor! King Crimson” and yet, while those ingredients can be traced in the music, the result is all Larval’s/Brovold’s original creation that can be heard and experienced. They have so far 5 albums to their record. The third, Predator or Prey is more avant-prog, noisy and experimental in nature while the fourth, Obedience (their first release through Cuneiform) has more moments reminiscent of post-rock sound and mood and yet also holds the adventurous approach. The use of tormented sounding strings is one major defining characteristic of their sound along with crunchy, noisy guitars and wacky saxophones that create this mass of loud sound and together you get a synergistic musical effect with an intensity and raw energy in some tracks and mesmerizing (post-rockish) and haunting spirals of sound in others that culminates in a total mess of instruments pouring out their sound. There is a variety of moods and sounds portrayed within each release and therefore you will not dose off or be bored. From quiet, ponderous moments to raw and aggressive parts, from slower and somber moments to faster and insane pieces; those albums are a guaranteed roller-coaster ride.

2006 sees their release of a double CD Surviving Death/Alive Why? CD I is their 5th studio release and the 2nd cd is a compilation of 7 years of live shows in which the many members and guests of the band appear in.

When John Zorn says about a band: “Bill Brovold’s music blows me away… Larval is the sh*t” you know this band is doing something really good (or really bad, depends on how you perceive this kind of music).

You can listen to them here - http://www.myspace.com/billbrovold

The poll is just an excuse to discuss the albums or simply give your impressions of their music.

I have only heard the last 3 and of those Predator Or Prey and Obedience are the two I like most and Predator Or Prey is my current favourite for its free spirit and great freakout moments.

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2007 at 23:49
If other people are reading this, this band should spark more interest than the hand full who already know them. Anyone interested in new forms of progressive rock should at least check out 'Obedience', quite easy to get into.

I have only heard 'Obedience'; as stated above, it fluently procures a blend of light avant-prog and post-rock. One personal quam, I don't think they utilised Dan Bennett [saxes] to what it could have been. I enjoy the subtle complexcity which a lot of the Amercian bands seem to have dilemmas executing. Towards the latter half, there are some interesting experiment improvisations [in the first half of the last song, which hold my attention tighter], which is where I personally would love to see the band heading [hmmm... I think I have been listening to too much early Kammerflimmer Kollektief of late].

It has been some time since I have listened to 'Larval', so I don't have too many concise/interesting thoughts.     
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 00:16
Originally posted by Black Velvet Black Velvet wrote:

I have only heard 'Obedience'; as stated above, it fluently procures a blend of light avant-prog and post-rock. One personal quam, I don't think they utilised Dan Bennett [saxes] to what it could have been. I enjoy the subtle complexcity which a lot of the Amercian bands seem to have dilemmas executing. Towards the latter half, there are some interesting experiment improvisations [in the first half of the last song, which hold my attention tighter], which is where I personally would love to see the band heading  

I think you might enjoy Predator Or Prey more, or at least with the same level.

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 03:48
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

I think you might enjoy Predator Or Prey more, or at least with the same level.

I will give it a shot [need to listen to Obedience more still, I don't think the subtlity has quite sunk in yet], read a review on babyblue [well attempted to].

Die Scheibe legt mit "One Last Flight" komplex-frickelig los, einem avantgardistischen Rocker, dominiert von den Gitarren und dem Sax.

seems the sax take a little more dominat role on some of the album.

Any one been to 'Knitting Factory' [their label for this album], I think they have a bar, performance area and studio somewhere in NYC.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 16:24
I only have  Predator or Prey so I wont vote, but it's a great album. I like the mix of the quirkyness of Avant-prog and pseudo post-rock sound they have. They remind me of Alamaailman Vasarat in many cases.

Is  "Surviving death/ Alive Why?"  a good album to check out? I may be looking for it in the near future.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 16:31
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

I only have  Predator or Prey so I wont vote, but it's a great album. I like the mix of the quirkyness of Avant-prog and pseudo post-rock sound they have. They remind me of Alamaailman Vasarat in many cases.

Is  "Surviving death/ Alive Why?"  a good album to check out? I may be looking for it in the near future.

I say try Obedience first.
Surviving Death reminds me more of Predator or Prey. Quite good (3-3.5 stars).
The live shows in that second cd are also good (since you'll find many of those two albums in there) but not something I would have bought seperately.

chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 16:39
OK. Cool. I'll check Obedience first then.

Post Reply Post Reply