Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What prog DVD are you watching tonight?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 31>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 13:44
Sunday watched this classic metal one.....

The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2010 at 08:31
Henry Cow - Vevey 1976

(This was the biggest cover scan I could find).

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2010 at 19:16
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Not quite Prog, but I still think many would enjoy this title.  An interesting look at the three discussing their influences and formative years, rounded out by some informal jamming. 

Worth it to see Jimmy playing Ramble On by himself, a balance of bite and beauty.

http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/imgs/media/091217/TrueTV.DVD.ItMightGetLoud.jpg

This is actually a very important see for anyone that appreciates music ... and it will be refreshing to see a couple of things in here that are important ... and one of the best ones is The Edge showing us a song without all the effects and stuff ... to give you an idea why some music is NOT progressive at all.

There are some really good things here, inclusing Jimmy's explanation of Achiles Last Stand and other bits ... and his history ... an dmake sure you check out the name at the start of it ... Gomelsky was his name! ... and we know that he is the father of a lot of progressive music, and based on what he did, he helped Jimmy "do his thing". And that thing, along with the other Jimi ended up being some of the most important guitar work that helped develop "progressive" music ... and yes, LZ deserves the mention. Jack would be more of the expressionist persuation, and blues oriented ... whereas The Edge I would consider a true rock pioneer with his band, but certainly not progressive at all ... very well defined and designed is a more apt description of his band's work!

And please add to your lists, if you can find it, that DVD about TOM DOWD ... you will never see another story that tells you more about the history of American music than that one ... and to think that he is responsible for one of rock's most memorable moments in rock music! It takes a man with an ear for folks playing it and when you find it, you gotta nail it! And he did!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2010 at 19:28
Originally posted by deafmoon deafmoon wrote:

Just picked up Emerson. Lake and Palmer Beyond The Beginning. Wow ! Lot's a great stuff including Pirates with full orchestra done in Montreal in 1977. Awesome!!!!

I have the original concert VHS of this somewhere. Will have to transfer it to DVD someday.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2010 at 19:30
Been playing this recently.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2010 at 19:33
Hi,

Some other things ...

200 Motels:
Out anytime on DVD ... FINALLY! And this is probably the beginning of prog ... as we would never want to know it. Sorry all you orchestra fanatics, but this one is the best!

Tangerine Dream: Phaedra 25th Anniversary
Finally got that DVD and what a treat it is ... nto sure that all of us can sit through almost two hours of the history of Tangerine Dream, but it tells you that these folks KNOW their synthesizers and can make the music as good, if not perfect, as it was before.

Klaus Schulze and Lisa Garrard: Rheingold
Acquired taste. Mostly because many folks here think that Klaus is just a turned on Sequencer and does nothing else but superimpose these. In case you decide that this is not for you, do check out the 2 extras on the DVD, one being a nice run through one of the engineers in the cutting room, and the other is Steven Wilson interviewing yours trully ... and if you don't think Steven does not know the history of "progressive" music and "krautrock" ... you will probably gain a massive appreciation for his intelligence and you can see why he is in such a high demand as a producer and mastering engineer.  The DVD itself is all ad-lib and it is nice to see one person just flow with the sound, and another simply be able to add/subtract/change ... and still sound so good. And check out the audience reaction when he mentions doing a sequencer piece ... in case you don't think these people don't knwo the difference!

Caravan
That concert in the Nearfest? (have to check again!). Yeah, it was pretty nice and enjoyable. I still want to see the DVD of the concert that produced The New Sinfonia ... because the remaster of that concert is even better than the original album. And yes, the story did go that the orchestra would not do an encore since they would not get paid, until Pye said ... screw you, we're going out without you ... and when the orchestra members heard the roar, it appears they changed their minds and came in! It's not every day that appreciation for what just happened is ... a once in a lifetime opportunity, and you want to be a part of that!

Still want to get and see:

Egberto Gismonti ... but I am not sure that we can see him with Jan Garbarek, Charlie Haden and another Magico evening! I would be ok with Academia de Dancas! Or even nana Vasconcellos.

Terje Rypdal and David Darling ... someone ought to lock those two down again and record them. It's the greatest shame in music that no one here has heard that album EOS, but I want to get rich enough to have these two in my house getting paid the most they ever have for an evening concert for myself ... and screw you all that didn't check this out ... it's one of the most beautiful things ever recorded. And I want a DVD of it! Invitations and plane tickets will also be sent out to a handful of folks that earned it for music appreciation!

Vangelis would be nice ... but not sure he will ever do it ... way too much work to get it done. I think I would just invite him to my house and let him play around on the computer ... he would probably have a riot!

Edited by moshkito - August 30 2010 at 19:35
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2010 at 19:38
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Some other things ...

200 Motels:
Out anytime on DVD ... FINALLY! And this is probably the beginning of prog ... as we would never want to know it. Sorry all you orchestra fanatics, but this one is the best!

You keep saying this and you get continually told that this DVD has been out quite a while. So the last time I'm doing this....

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2010 at 20:16
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Some other things ...

200 Motels:

You keep saying this and you get continually told that this DVD has been out quite a while. So the last time I'm doing this....

And for one more _______ time, since you are not listening ... it is REMASTERED ... and has stuff that was not on the original album.
www.pedrosena.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 20:29
Going for Eric Johnson, THE Eric Johnson, not that Georgia state senate pinhead. LOL

Seems to be turning into a live recorded music Friday and I'm not complaining. Big smile

I just finished up a song in the set called Western Flyer.  It wasn't in the original broadcast and is incredibly good.  Eric Johnson's one of those things that didn't suck in the '80's, musically speaking.

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 24 2010 at 21:08
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Evolutionary Sleeper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolutionary Sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 01:19
I just got finished watching this:

Crystal clear sound, excellent cinematography and a mind-blowing performance of FoaBP. The second set was good as well, but the first one was just spectacular.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 15:52

Prog Joni
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 15:55
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 19:55
I hear this one calling out to me:

memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote memowakeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 21:06
Cabezas de Cera - Live USA (Nearfest)

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 19:58
Gave this a watch today, great stuff:

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 20:04
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Prog Joni

Yep, another title that says she belongs here.  She has several like that.  I hope she gets in one day. 

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2010 at 19:43
Just Came In The Mail:

Steven Wilson - Insurgentes - The Movie (double DVD)

New documentary film about Porcupine Tree frontman Steven Wilson, directed by Lasse Hoile.

2 DVD set in digibook with 64 page booklet

All copies pre-ordered before midnight (UK time) on the 31st of August 2010 from KScope/Burning Shed included an exclusive bonus CD in a printed card wallet. The bonus CD offer is now closed but you can still order the 2 disc DVD.

I got me one with the bonus disc. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 29 2010 at 19:44

thechrisl View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thechrisl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2010 at 20:20
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2010 at 20:50
Aww man.  My wife turned on the dishwasher which is open to the living room.  So far it looks interesting.
Ah, a silent dishwasher.  I'm outta here for a while.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 29 2010 at 22:01

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 20:47
Something Icky arrived: 

Decided to take a break from new audio Eno (not that I'm not liking it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 31>