Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBark Psychosis (Experimental Journey IX)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bark Psychosis (Experimental Journey IX)
    Posted: May 05 2007 at 16:24
Next in line.

What's up with them? Wink
Uroboros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 18:56
Their album from '94, Hex, is to me the best thing in the whole wide world to fall asleep to. If you put that album on and you're not asleep in ten minutes, then something's wrong with you.
On a more serious note, it's indeed extremely soothing, with gentle layers built up by electronic sounds and various instruments, in an understated fashion and often creating beautiful soundscapes. Nothing managed to draw my attention in particular, but it managed to seduce me into a state of calm and, well, sleepiness. When I tried to listen to the songs more closely, I found them to be pretty patchy and sloppy in execution, with out-of-tune vocals and so on. But, as background music, it works perfectly. And anyway, considering it was '94, probably not many bands were playing that way at the time. I've heard something off their more recent Codename: Dustsucker and, frankly, it sounded like no time had passed from the first album (although it was released ten years later).

Edited by Uroboros - May 05 2007 at 18:58
Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
ne mènent à rien si tu n’es plus là
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 20:51
Hex is a beautiful album! It's very peaceful and it doesn't really go far (just like Sigur Ros' Agaetis Byrjun), but it isn't really a problem since I think that was what they were trying to create. The album is very low key and, like Uroburos said, its one of the best albums to fall asleep to although not like Uroburos I find the music to be excellent as well. The vocals really add to the gentle atmosphere and it was pretty revolutionary in its time (it was the first album coined as post-rock and it shows, although not like the post-rock we know from the 00's and up). I would give it a 4 stars if I get around to review it.

Codename: Dustsucker
... I don't like this album to be honest. It feels as if the magic behind Hex was gone. I think I'm biased in my opinion since I really enjoyed Hex and was expecting something in the vein of it.

If you like Hex then don't get Codename: Dustsucker. Instead, check out albums by No-Man, NoSound and Efterklang (Efterklang being the best of the three IMO).

Mikerinos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 20:59
Post-Rico song title:

Experimental Journey IX (Or the Dance of the Father's Large Wallet, however masterliness still must be singlehandly devotion to one band discography until fufilled completively)
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 00:35
thanks Nicu and Ruben! Clap (Wink)
superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 07:01
Hex is one of those albums that inspired Simon Reynolds to cough up that almighty term POSTROCK...........thats how seminal it is!!!!

in turn, BP was influenced by the 2 great Talk Talk albums Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock..........
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 15:35
Originally posted by superprog superprog wrote:

in turn, BP was influenced by the 2 great Talk Talk albums Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock..........

I'm listening to them these days repeatingly...I'm utterly depressed but I feel I like it.Awesome music.I just broke with a girl, so TALK TALK heals me...or drowns me deeper, don't know precisely

Edited by Prog-jester - May 07 2007 at 15:35
superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 03:26
thats what the best music always does to you i would say...sadness joy hope despair all lumped in together...........those 2 albums are dead awesome lonely afternoon companions yet they're not moany bedsit indie but lovely ethereal artworks that sear one's soul.............
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 08:47
Originally posted by superprog superprog wrote:

yet they're not moany bedsit indie but lovely ethereal artworks that sear one's soul.............

you had a gold in your fingers typing these words.Exactly
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 09:11
Have you heard the other off-shoot,Orang? Proggy,Ambient noise.Went a bit towards Trip-Hop latterly.

No one has mention what I believe is Bark Psychosis' crowning glory,Scum.I believe that this is the track/e.p. that got people talking about BP in the first place.

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
 Post Reply Post Reply