Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cardiacs, eh?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 13:15
One that I've recommended to various people who are more into the Symph side of things, and especially to those into Neo-Prog, is A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window.

There is something quite Neo-Prog about various Cardiacs music to me, without actually being Neo-Prog. Cardiacs opening for Marillion didn't seem that odd to me (and of course one has the punkier Neo-Prog acts which can share something in common with Cardiacs). I also rather associate it with some Rush at times.

Mostly it's a band that under PA definitions could fit Crossover Prog, Eclectic Prog (some Gentle Giant-like similarities and some VdGG qualities) as well as Avant Prog, with some symph thrown in, I'd say, and of course it can get heavy.

I think you can still get the physical products at https://abc-mary.myshopify.com/ Just tell them Jimmy?/ Jim? sent you. My memory is terrible, hopefully someone will now what I'm talking about. I have heard that it can sometimes take a while, but that was sometime ago.

Ah, I spent too long an this and that last part was answered. Was trying to remember a name (Jimmy maybe) and google wasn't helping.

EDIT: Think I just remembered that I'm thinking of is "Where's Jim?" Jim Smith's a guy. Tim's bro.

Edited by Logan - June 15 2021 at 14:49
Just a fanboy passin' through.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 13:17
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^Downloads maybe but I doubt they have physical copies on there.

Doubt all you like, but you’re wrong.

I was referring specifically to bandcamp. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 14:01
Yeah, I wouldn't look to bandcamp for trying to buy phyical copies even though albums can be bought through bandcamp, but not from bandcamp, as one can find seller links, labels and stuff.

Here's a topic on that subject: buying physical albums on bandcamp

I'm one of those who is happy to stream from bandcamp, and likes to listen before buying a physical product (except when it comes to used vinyls).

Hopefully https://abc-mary.myshopify.com/collections/cds helps if interested. I might buy a vinyl (I'm not that big on CDs).

Moving off that topic to a Cardiacs-related thing, I have mentioned this elsewhere, but I love Singin' to God which covers all of Sing to God.

Here is the youtube playlist, done by the person behind it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOwe-ErrEN0xprxPLEGq-JiQQbuy8cSLs

My favourite from it, but then Dirty Boy is what initially turned me on to Cardiacs:

Edited by Logan - June 15 2021 at 14:10
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 14:17
I buy almost everything from Bandcamp - physical or download. It’s always my first port of call. Generally speaking, the only time I don’t buy physical product from Bandcamp is where the band asks (on their Bandcamp page) me to buy it from elsewhere. And, to be fair, a lot of bands are savvy to the fact that Bandcamp is where people first look, and use it almost as advertising for their own website or BigCartel (or similar) store. It’s not uncommon these days to see the download available for sale on Bandcamp, with directions to another website to buy cd or vinyl.

I absolutely love Bandcamp, and the bands and artists I know who use it, do too. I honestly think any band or artist who doesn’t use Bandcamp is doing themselves a disservice.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 14:29
I've never bought through bandcamp (other than the more ethereal data transmissions). Bandcamp is a terrific service.

What I did find of Cardiacs on bandcamp for physical copies was linking to alphabet business concern. I like to buy as direct as possible generally with new" product.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 14:55
Love 'em.
The Prog Corner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123