Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPure Reason Revolution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 19:30
LOL OK then.

Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 22:07
Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

This was the album that so many people say is bringing prog back, best album of '06?  Can someone clue me in on what I'm missing?  Ouch

I didn't really like it, either. I thought it was rather boring and even though the vocals were nice, they got way too excessive and repetitive at points. That's why I named my review of The Dark Third "The Bright Ambassadors of Boring".Wink
enteredwinter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 23:40
Add me to the list of people that was underwhelmed by the album.

Seems pretty mediocre to me, although I admit that I haven't listened to it enough to properly judge it.

By the way, did the band steal the whole "bright ambassadors of morning" metaphor for sun rays from Echoes by Pink Floyd, or did PF take it from something, maybe from poetry/literature? Anyone know? I've always been curious, because if PRR just took it from PF, and used the phrase over and over again on their album, that's pretty lame IMO.

Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 00:16
I was a huge Floyd fan for a while, surrounded by bigger Floyd fans, and I think that if it were a reference I would have heard about it; therefore, I am reasonably sure Floyd made it up. I also agree that it is ridiculously lame. But apparently not content with merely that, they are also "inspired by" Astronomy Domine and A Pillow of Winds. I wasn't planning on getting them, but now I have extra reasons to avoid them.

Edited by Ghandi 2 - May 08 2007 at 00:46
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 01:23
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

This was the album that so many people say is bringing prog back, best album of '06?  Can someone clue me in on what I'm missing?  Ouch

I didn't really like it, either. I thought it was rather boring and even though the vocals were nice, they got way too excessive and repetitive at points. That's why I named my review of The Dark Third "The Bright Ambassadors of Boring".Wink

I like my "Progland Vocal Band" better, but I actually enjoyed this album.  I hear their next one is going to Vogon poetry. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 02:10

To me, they are very good. And they look even better when you compare them with what is released nowadays. Prog ? I'm not sure.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 02:23
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ The vocal harmonies are ... nice. But IMO there are far better albums in that regard, and a bit repetitive (listen to the album too often and you'll develop an allergic reaction to the word "embassedor"Wink).

BTW: I'd rate The Dark Third 4 stars (3,5 stars really, but as you all know there are no half stars here).

Listened to it countless times, never got bored.

"The Million Bright Ambassadors... of mo-o-orniing!" Tongue

No need to correct the spelling ... he actually sings "embassedor", which I simply can't stand. It would be no big deal if he didn't repeat the mistake a million times.LOL
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 09:08
Originally posted by Uroboros Uroboros wrote:

Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

Are Gazpacho as bad as Frost*?
GAZPACHO = moaning Steve Hogarth + worn out RADIOHEAD + some average post-rocky spots FROST = pop harmonies + cheesy soundproducing + neo-prog-metal pointless rumble Both are bad

Cool equations. However, you're also the guy who said, in a review of Djam Karet's Live at Orion,

"Nice late KC-inspired instrumental Prog. I guess we all have heard dozens of bands of that kind, and I must admit DJAM KARET didn't impressed me that much (I know two bands which are usually compared with DM, and they're better ;) ). (...)  Recommended mostly for KC-devotees."

--> so why should anyone trust you? Wink

Nice to see so many fans there, keep it man. BTW, tastes differ if you know

Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

That's why I named my review of The Dark Third "The Bright Ambassadors of Boring".Wink

Very funny phrase - it actually made me pick this album!

Edited by Prog-jester - May 08 2007 at 09:10
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 10:30
I think it's quite a pleasant album. It's a little too hyped though, I can see why some people are disappointed by it. I, however, prefer it over Porcupine Tree actually.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123