Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Sylvan disc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Your favorite from this German neo prog band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [20.00%]
1 [4.00%]
5 [20.00%]
1 [4.00%]
11 [44.00%]
2 [8.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Sylvan disc
    Posted: May 09 2007 at 11:55
I can't really vote in my own poll because I only have X-Rayed, Posthumous Silence and Presets; but, I do have Encounters and Artifcial Paradise on their way.

A nice blend of modern hard rock and progressive with what I've heard. I'd like to see them focus more on the prog side, but these guys are really quite fascinating. Just some beautiful, atmospheric music at times (i.e. "A Kind Of Eden" from Posthumous Silence is stunning).

Like to get a feel for what you guys think.

E

iTunes: "Our Favorite Shop" from The Style Council's Home & Abroad (live)
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 12:27
Can't really vote as I only heard (and have) Artificial Paradise and Posthumous Silence.
Of these two, Posthumous by a stretch even though Artificial Paradise ain't bad at all, it's just that PH is one hell of an excellent album... 

My review of it can be read here : http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=111026

I wil definitely be getting more from this band anyhow.

Edited by Melomaniac - May 09 2007 at 12:28
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
ProgFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 12:34
I have all their albums and I really like them all. But Posthumous Silence is my really favoriteBig%20smile

Magnificent concept, fantastic lyrics and really beautiful musicClap
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 12:51
Yeah, I'm really curious on the direction the voting takes. Reviews were mixed on Encounters, but overwhelmingly good for Artificial Paradise. These two have just been ordered from Greg Walker, so I'm anxious to hear them.

I've listened to both Presets and Posthumous Silence the past couple of days and thoroughly enjoy them both. I agree with ProgFan...just really good, solid lyrics coupled with beautiful music.

E
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 14:06
Gluhmann's voice is really amazing.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 14:32
I have all six and I will say one thing for them - they are all consistantly strong. In fact, that may be seen as a failing - little changes from album to album other than strength of melody.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 14:43

Like I stated in my review, Presets is a wonderful ride , as "I can't get it out of my head" (ELO song). Its more accessible than previous efforts but the aforementioned melodies are virulently contagious on this record. Plus, my two daughters and son simply love it too, which is a prime motivator in deflecting their appreciation from the sheer aural garbage they are subjected to. Seeing them groove to "One step beyond" , and drool at the prog-rap of "When the leaves fall down" is worth a million smiles of pride. From Posthumous Silence"  the track "In Chains" has great favour with them.

eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 14:57
Have all of their albums - first one impressed me a lot - "what a great band" - I thought then - mind you I was very much into neo-prog by that time as well. Second was about the same or even better. Third got me slightly bored as the band was seemingly repeating themselves. X-Rayed bored me to tears, and I was moving away from neo in general terms then. Posthuman Silence was quite a pleasant surprise as it turned out to be much better than the previous one, and I thought Silvan are still very much alive, despite me already being not in the neo sort of things. However Presets demonstrated a total decay - a complete let down of an album IMO - band run out of ideas and the music is totaly uninspired and ultimately boring even to listen to in the car; only the very last track, if I remember correctly, is more or less listenable. I voted for Deliverance.

carefulwiththataxe
Spacemac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 15:29
Posthumous Silence Clap
Komodo dragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 18:13
 I reely like Paradise and give my vote to him
anglagardist View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 19:11

First of all I have to say one warning : I'm not a big fan of neoprog or other easy accessible forms of prog , so my view on Sylvan can be a little bit different.

As for Sylvan, they are for me one of the few exceptions - their best songs can be appreciated by symphonic prog purist as I am. Why? Their best songs are not too sweet (as e.g. Collage), too poppy (as e.g. Pendragon), too bombastic (as e.g. Arena), their best songs are in my ears one of the best songs in their musical territory.

So where I've found these best songs?

I have first five albums and here is my order :

1. Deliverance - 4 really great songs (Seeking Nights, Those Defiant Ways, Deliverance, Childhood Dreams) - stylistically neoprog with some nice symphonic touches ( esp. beautiful piano segments) and great Gilmourian el. guitar

2. X-Rayed - fourth album has brought change in direction - less accesible and more metallic-alternative sound. Quite underrated album with no weak song, but at the same time, no real highlight

3. Artificial Paradise - 20 min. title song with aggressive and melancholic sections is for me the best Sylvan's song so far, another very good song (Deep Inside), unfortunately the rest is too 'easy listening' for sympho lover

4. Posthumous Silence - the most professional, but according to my taste too melodic and accesible and too polished, sometimes bordering with art-pop

5. Encounters - second album, compared to its predeccesor, much less symphonic and more poppy
Mostly it's impossible to win the fight against stupidity. But always it's necessary to attempt it.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 22:22
I can't vote either having only heard the first three records.I'm going to listen to the rest in order."Artificial Paradise" is the best of what i have heard.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
lighthouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 23:31
I got   their first CD "deliverance" the first month is came out and I really liked it  sadly for me in recent years the pop influence is becoming too strong  I`m at the point now where I don`t get all that excited about new releases any more . I believe its a shame they played the popular card  this band could have been more Smile
Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 11:55
1. Artificial Paradise
2. Presets
3. Posthumous Silence
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 18:46
I should be getting both Artificial Paradise and Encounters in the mail tomorrow. Taking into consideration that it's gotten a lot of votes, I'm spinning AF first.

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2007 at 10:31
Artificial Paradise and Encounters made it yesterday. I've only had a chance to listen to just a little bit of AP; but, from what I've heard it sounds to be one of their best. Beautiful melodies.

E
demolition man View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 07:58
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Gluhmann's voice is really amazing.

Man, you said it!

I would go as far as to say he has one of the most best voices in rock!! 

I love Sylvan's music to bits. It's my latest big music find. The albums are all different and show real progression and muturity.

When a band starts with a solid neo prog album (Deliverence)  you've gotta say "more of the same please". But no, there's not. The music steers to a more melodic style and the vocals just get better and better with each release.

Encounters is sublime, just sublime. Melodies that make me so excited.
Artificial Paradise probably got the band recognised and it's very solid throughout. Shows a tendancy towards mainstream rock / pop in places, but that's ok. Beautiful guitars and vocals.

Then with a massive big bang the band release one of the best concept albums ever, in my opinion: Posthumous Silence. Utterly fantastic from start to finish. However, could the band top that? Could they have peaked too early? Possibly, I thought.

Well, with Presets, they didn't quite top PS but instead changed direction yet again. I guess more mainstream again. The album has a few weak moments but is worth every penny because of the tracks "One Step Beyond" and "Cold Suns". here Marco Gluhman's voice has matured yet further to it's full potential.

What next for Sylvan? A live dvd later this year.
One thing is certain, the band will continue to progress and surprise. That's the mark of an excellent band; one of my very favourites! Sylvan - superb
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 08:14
damn... thought this was a David Sylvian thread LOLWink
demolition man View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 17:30
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

damn... thought this was a David Sylvian thread LOLWink

The old one's are the best eh?
Similar thing happened on the Porkies site on the Sylvan thread. Ermm
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 17:33
I'm ashamed to say I've heard nothing form this band other than a few short sample clips. They're not a high priority for me. I've had enough of the cookie cutter Neo-Metal bands for awhile.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>