Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnthony Phillips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anthony Phillips
    Posted: May 09 2007 at 20:25

The last week I've been listening some Anthony Phillips albums and, my God, the guy is great! Since the first time I heard WISE AFTER THE EVENT (the first AP album that I got in my hands) I knew that this brilliant musician was something special. Brilliant composer and amazing musician most of his albums are beautiful and delicate musical pieces, full of imagination and sensibility and of course, touched by soft drops of symph prog...

Well, the problem is that no more than 3 or 4 AP albums has more than 10 reviews and I ask myself: prog fans doesn't listen Phillips music? Is he an "underground" artist? Phillips has some masterpieces like Wise After..., Private Parts & Pieces I, II, II and VIII; Sides, The Geese and The Ghost, 1984, The Meadows Of Englewood, Slow Dance, Ivory Moon... why prog fans doesn't know this albums? I hope I'm wrong but I became ProgArchives member almost two years ago and the Name of Anthony was mentioned few times in threads or polls...

So, what you think? Please tell me that you know Anthony and you love his music...

Peace

ProgAdicto
... E N E L B U N K E R...
oracus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 21:08
I love his music and i believe also that he is a great guitarist and composer. I think that people here dont review his albums because its mellow guitar music and the 'rock' factor is in low levels if you know what i mean :-)

Speesh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 23:00
Recently I saw his name on eMusic, and got the Slow Dance album. For two downloads only I really couldn't pass it up. I haven't listened to it yet but the samples sound very nice. I'll try it out later and get back I guess.
Atomic_Rooster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 23:30
I prefer him to Hackett
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 06:46
I only have an anthology and I gave 4 stars to that. I liked almost every track on it. However, aside from 'Sides' and '1984' which I had on vinyl I haven't found copies of his other albums. I know some of them are being remastered- I believe Voiceprint are doing 'The Geese And The Ghost', 'Wise After The Event' and '1984'.

Based on the anthology, I have the feeling that it's only him and Steve Hackett of Genesis that have had solo careers I would have prolonged interest in- Rutherford, Collins and Banks (based on what I've heard from his later work) I like their debuts a lot and nothing else.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 08:09
I've been a fan for quite some time and have a good bit of his fairly large discography:

Private Parts & Pieces

Geese & the Ghost, The

Sides

Wise After the Event

Missing Links Volume 1: Finger Painting

Slow Waves, Soft Stars

Slow Dance

Private Parts & Pieces 4: A Catch at the Tables

Private Parts & Pieces VIII: New England

Private Parts and Pieces IX: Dragonfly Dreams

Archive Collection Volume One, The

Soiree (Private Parts & Pieces X)

Gypsy Suite

There does seem to be high concentration of metal heads on this site and they would mostly say his stuff is boring. 

Your post just reminds me, I've been meaning to get a copy of Private Parts & Pieces III: Antiques.  I've only got the LP version which I've had for many years and haven't heard in many years.  It was very influential when I was first started playing guitar.
It's a real hard one to get a hold of, but I did just look it up online and I actually found a seller of a new copy in Georgia!   $23.81  The last time I tried to order it, the seller cancelled.  Hope I get lucky this time.

You would think with all the Genesis fans on here, he'd get more attention.  That may be due to most of them find the Hacket era the definitive era and just haven't given him a try.

But before you feel too bad about the relative lack of attention Anthony gets, go check out the reviews of another influental (for me) guitarist, Phil Manzanera (of Roxy Music fame).  And while your at it get a copy of his latest album: 50 minutes.

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 10 2007 at 08:36
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Heptade View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 08:49
Perhaps Phillips' discography is so extensive, we don't know where to start!

Also, he does a lot of varied stuff...some albums are just guitar instrumentals, some solo piano, and some people find that hard to get into, which is a shame.

Obviously, the Geese and the Ghost is his most well-known recording, but there are lots of hidden gems, like Slow Waves Soft Stars, which is a beautiful album.
The world keeps spinning, people keep sinning
And all the rest is just bullsh*t
-Steve Kilbey
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 11:01

I especially like Private Parts & Pieces V: Twelve - A collection of really memorable acoustic guitar instrumentals.

I'm a major fan of Ant, but you may be right about his stuff being too mellow for the average proggy.
Global Warmer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 11:09
Hello Progadicto!

Very nice to read your flattering words about Anthony Phillips. I also like his (lyrical)music very much and it was only until a few years ago that I discovered his music. Something like: All the brilliant old Genesis records are in my collection, what now..? I estimate the small distribution/availibility of his music might be a major cause
that Anthony is not too well known amongst Prog lovers. E.g. his brilliant album The Geese and The ghost: This 1977 album was issued on (remasterd!) cd in 1990 and that was it!

Nice regards 

Paul Rietman
The Lost Chord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 12:07
Anthony Phillips is my favorite guitarist.  He is not a technical marvel, but he has drenched my soul in emotion more than any other guitarist has done.

Just listen to New England Suite, he could play that for you in your living room, incredible.  He has so much passion in his life, he loves beauty, he is just a genius.
daz2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 12:23
Can't seem to get Geese & the Ghost anywhere! Anyone got ideas where i can get it on CD?
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 12:32
I think he has stayed true to his symphonic and prog roots more than any other Genesis member, even Steve Hackett.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 12:40
Speaking of another even more neglected artist, Fred Frith.  His discography here has many albums missing and each item just has one rating so far if it has a rating at all.  I'll be updating that tonight.  Firth is sylistically about 180 degrees different from Anthony Phillips.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 12:44
Originally posted by daz2112 daz2112 wrote:

Can't seem to get Geese & the Ghost anywhere! Anyone got ideas where i can get it on CD?

Amazon Marketplace have it.5 copies ranging in price from £9.99 to £300 !!!

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
Thandrus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 12:52
Yeah, interesting, I wanted to check out if there was any topic about this guy yesterday... I discovered Anthony Phillips' solo about a week ago... I was following New Age links in internet (funny, I was there to find something about Deuter and where I ended up). I found Anthony Phillips link. I did not realize at first time that it was the same person as Genesis' original guitarist. Then my friend burn me these albums and Wise After An Event is what I'm listening now.  Wise After..., The Geese..., and Sides are what I've already listened and I must admit that this guy is simply GREAT. But I haven't yet understood why it was in New Age links. Because of some other albums maybe? But anyway what I've listened is pure, mellow and very melodic Symphonic Progressive Rock. Gonna check out some other albums and write a review on one of them.

Edited by Thandrus - May 10 2007 at 12:53
progadicto View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 13:48
It's great to see you guys totally interested in Anthony's music...

I really agree with the words of Slartibartfast: "There does seem to be high concentration of metal heads on this site and they would mostly say his stuff is boring". It's true but if those metal heads are really interested in great music they could give Ant a chance. I also agree with him when he mention great musicians as Phil Manzanera (i've got to buy his last album!) and the ecclectical Fred Frith...

Also agree with Slartibartfast when he say: "You would think with all the Genesis fans on here, he'd get more attention. That may be due to most of them find the Hacket era the definitive era and just haven't given him a try". And as Progger says: "I think he has stayed true to his symphonic and prog roots more than any other Genesis member, even Steve Hackett". Totally agree. Phillips keep working on his symph prog  roots with some interesting variations to fusion and almost new age stuff but never leave behind the prog content in his albums...

Well, I hope more people gives her appreciation about Anthony...

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 15:24
Yes, I like him a lot, and I should write some reviews, when I have the time (in June maybe, or July).

I'm a big fan of Back To The Pavilion, Sides, Ivory Moon, Tarka and Slow Dance especially.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 19:12
Originally posted by progadicto progadicto wrote:

I really agree with the words of Slartibartfast: "There does seem to be high concentration of metal heads on this site and they would mostly say his stuff is boring". It's true but if those metal heads are really interested in great music they could give Ant a chance. I also agree with him when he mention great musicians as Phil Manzanera (i've got to buy his last album!) and the ecclectical Fred Frith...

Also agree with Slartibartfast when he say: "You would think with all the Genesis fans on here, he'd get more attention. That may be due to most of them find the Hacket era the definitive era and just haven't given him a try". And as Progger says: "I think he has stayed true to his symphonic and prog roots more than any other Genesis member, even Steve Hackett". Totally agree. Phillips keep working on his symph prog  roots with some interesting variations to fusion and almost new age stuff but never leave behind the prog content in his albums...

I see my hypnotic powers are working.LOL
You are all getting very sleepy, veeeerrrry sleeeeepy.  And when you wake up you will all go out and buy Phil's latest album, and some Frith, and some of Phillip's underreviewed albums.

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 10 2007 at 19:16

progadicto View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 20:50
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by progadicto progadicto wrote:

I see my hypnotic powers are working.LOL
You are all getting very sleepy, veeeerrrry sleeeeepy.  And when you wake up you will all go out and buy Phil's latest album, and some Frith, and some of Phillip's underreviewed albums.

Sleepy zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I will obey your orders, master...

LOL
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2007 at 01:51
i constantly mention tony phillips
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>