Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnthony Phillips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2007 at 02:13
He is OK, but way too mellow for me. Lacks energy and a rockier edge., for my taste. For special moments only.. I wouldn't recommend it to the average prog fan.
progadicto View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2007 at 13:49
Besides ProgArchives, there are not much information about Anthony, but there's an interesting (but short) article about his career here:

... E N E L B U N K E R...
hyperboreal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 19:35
Well I have to disagree with you Lost Chord, I think his guitar technique is quite marvelous and elaborate as it's his own music. You only have to listen to "Tregenna Afternoons" to get a glimpse of the incredible versatility he can achieve on a 12-string, which is one of the hardest kind of guitars in terms of "playability" by the way. 
dralan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 19:48
Yea I love Anthony Phillips. I dont think alot of people realize how important he was to the early Genesis sound. I read an interview with Banks where he said at the time Phillips left the band they were unsure as to whether continuing on without him because he was one of the key writers on the early material and was so instrumental in shaping the concept of Genesis in the early days. Certainly the twelve string sound he pioneered with the band was very influential . On Nursery Cryme Hackett seems to be aping Phillips technique early on, and alot of people dont know that Musical Box was largely written by Phillips which pretty much defined the early Genesis style. And I love his solo material too!  
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 19:50
I love mellow, slow music. The only thing that pisses me off is that it is virtually impossible to find any of his albums!!!!AngryAngry
Hyperborea View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 20:50
There are ways and means to find his albums, however his stuff prior to 1984 is superb. 1984 is a big let down, very 1980's keyboard orietated.
ldlanberg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 00:18
Anthony Phillips' solo albums are just a little too light for my personal tastes, however there are some moments of really cool sound effects. I've always liked his work on Genesis Trespass -- nothing hard to decipher, he puts the guitar sound straight through the speakers. (But of course this album was before Tony Banks ramped-up the keyboards to saturation level).

I've always thought that if he stayed with the band (Genesis) they would have made their mark a totally different way than they did.
LDL
Rolling Ronnie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 05:48
'The Geese & The Ghost' and 'Back To The Pavilion' are my favorites. Wonderful artiste & composer. I wonder what an Anthony Phillips / Brian Eno collaboration would sound like?
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2008 at 23:12
'The Geese & The Ghost' is one of my All time Fav albums simply a Beautiful  wonderful album
cover Art is Lovely to, 
Weston View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 00:15

I believe I have Sides and Missing Links Vol 1: Finger Painting.  I say "believe"  because my CD collection is up in the top of a closet.  I rip them to mp3's these days and play them at random, so I get out of touch with what I have. 

Of the two I can remember nothing at all about Sides.  It just didn't make that big an impression on me for some reason.  Too pop maybe.  I can remember a little about Finger Painting and thought it very nice, something I enjoy hearing mixed in with other stuff on random play, but nothing to give me a progasm.

The Geese and the Ghost I had on vinyl back in the day.  Now THAT I still remember very well even after not hearing it for decades.  "Portrait of Tudor Times" made a big impression on me, and of course the title track/suite is great.  I keep meaning to track this down on CD if it's available, but you just forget stuff when you get older. 

I need to make lists.  I have a list of what I've got, but not a list of what I want.
Mikerinos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 00:23
I have The Geese & the Ghost and Private Parts and Pieces Pt. 2 on vinyl, plus Wise After the Even downloaded, they're all VERY amazing.  I recently ordered Sides on LP since it was cheap, I know it's not considered his best but for $4 it's worth it I'm sure.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 07:58
I only have a few:
Private Parts & Pieces
Geese & the Ghost, The
Sides
Wise After the Event
Missing Links Volume 1: Finger Painting
Private Parts & Pieces III
Slow Waves, Soft Stars
Slow Dance
Private Parts & Pieces 4: A Catch at the Tables
Private Parts & Pieces VIII: New England
Private Parts and Pieces IX: Dragonfly Dreams
Archive Collection Volume One, The
Soiree (Private Parts & Pieces X)
Gypsy Suite

I guess if there's one thing Ant hasn't been post Genesis, that would be non-prolific.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 02 2008 at 08:00
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 00:19
I have a few too: the highlighted ones are highlight albums . Great artist, very original and somehow honest in his craft.
The Geese & The Ghost
Wise After The Event
Private Parts & Pieces Vol 1
Sides
Private Parts & Pieces Vol 2: Back to the Pavillion
Nine Teen Eighty Four
Private Parts & Pieces Vol 3: Antiques
Private Parts & Pieces Vol 4: A Catch at the Tables
Private Parts & Pieces Vol 5: Twelve
Ivory Moon
Slow Waves Soft Stars
Slow Dance
New England
The Gypsy Suite
Dragonfly Dreams
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 07:37
Antiques was a hard one for me to get a hold of on CD.  The LP's been in my collection for a while.  It's a close second favorite to The G. & the G.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

PinkPangolin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 06:18
Never heard his solo music, but I am interested.  Loved his guitar playing on "Trespass" - superb.
Los_Endos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2008 at 22:05
I actually have a couple of Ant's albums, but have never really given them too much ear time for some reason. They are extremely mellow, which I am rarely in the mood for.

I like nice acoustic guitars, don't get me wrong, but I can't take more than a couple of minutes of it before i need to hear some drums and organs. LOL

He is a great musician though. Think I will listen to Private Parts tomorrow though.
reality View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 02:07
I have no idea, mabye not rock enough? Ant is one of my favorites!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 02:34
Lets face it guys, if Ant wouldn't got that stage panic, he would had been a crucial part of the  band always, there was noi way he could ever be replaced by anybody.

But he left and gave the chance to the only man capable to play Ant Phillips style as well as Ant with the difference that Steve's atmospheres were unique and is much more versatile.

I'm sure that with Ant, Genesis would had a slightly different sound, but for Trespass, I guess it would had been almost as good as with Steve, probably that Genesis trademark guitar that sounds as a keyboard would had never appeared and the atmospheres would had been a bit weaker, but Ant was no joke, he had his own strong points.

Iván

Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 03:56
Much love for Ant. He has so much music out there, and it's so delicate and relaxing. Perfect chillout stuff right there!
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12