Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 19:23
You could be right. Thumbs%20Up
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 07:21
No mention of Nice/ELP which was a bit of a suprise

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 07:38
Let's face it: no matter how great a soloist Emerson was, ELP's albums lack the warmth and the humanity of classic Genesis.

Edited by fuxi - May 27 2007 at 07:38
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 07:48
I don't see much point in splitting heirs about what prog acts were missing- there are a multitude of acts that have been glossed over altogether thus far so we should be grateful we got anything (The earlier BBC series Dancing In The Street didn't bother with Genesis or any of Floyd's work after Syd's mental demise). I too felt they were speaking about 'Foxtrot' being the most successful album from a commercial standpoint.
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 07:48
Quote fuxi:-
'Let's face it: no matter how great a soloist Emerson was, ELP's albums lack the warmth and the humanity of classic Genesis.'

What I was think of was the link between Psych and Art Rock.

Edited by Man Erg - May 27 2007 at 07:50

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 09:06
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

I don't see much point in splitting heirs about what prog acts were missing- there are a multitude of acts that have been glossed over altogether thus far so we should be grateful we got anything (The earlier BBC series Dancing In The Street didn't bother with Genesis or any of Floyd's work after Syd's mental demise). I too felt they were speaking about 'Foxtrot' being the most successful album from a commercial standpoint.
I believe they were talking about most successful up to that point, in context of their direction...
Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 12:09
Only caught the last five minutes of the first episode, but saw most of the second episode.

What was good was the programme after the first episode, which was a documentary about The Old Grey Whistle Test. I found that interesting.

As to the episode I watched -- the second one -- it was very selective but interesting nevertheless. In my opinion they concentrated rather too much on theatricality in rock in the 'golden years' of the late 1960s and early 1970s, rather than the music itself. The trouble with these programmes is that the history is so rich and varied, and the programme lengths limited, that it is almost impossible to cover the genre (rock) in the depth needed.

Anyway, I hope I can manage to catch the third programme in the series.

Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 12:31
It would be great if each of the episodes was a taster for a whole series related to that particular episode.
i.e. 4 episodes dedicated to Art Rock etc.

NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 15:28
You should see the BBC forum for last night's show, hundreds are bemoaning the absence of Marc Bolan...he was the inspiration for Bowie, etc, etc. All very funny.
I felt obliged to send them my thoughts, but I bet they won't publish them Disapprove.

It appears the biggest rock band on this planet in 70's are only going to get a passing mention in this series, on the stadium rock episode. How can the poxy pseudo-reggie band The Police warrent more airplay than Zep. crazy! I sense another posting to the BBC coming on..
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 20:38
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

It would be great if each of the episodes was a taster for a whole series related to that particular episode.
i.e. 4 episodes dedicated to Art Rock etc.

Quite right.

I've  not seen episode 2 yet (I was out Saturday and I ended up watching the program about the California music scene in the '70s on BBC4 instead on Sunday), so I'll have to see it on video in the week.

I think they could quite easily cover a series about each "age" of rock.  Strangely though, they're on the second age already and punk is the next one isn't it?  What will the other 4 ages be?

Oh the archive Old Grey Whistle Test footage is very good, I must say.  Can you get it all on DVD?

Edited by Geck0 - May 27 2007 at 20:39
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 05:01
Well, at least they had the good sense to show Mike Rutherford playing Supper's Ready's opening chords on twelve string. Together with the surreal (or hyper-real) visuals of English suburbia this captured something of the mood of the piece. Although a few seconds of Peter Gabriel cavorting on stage dressed like a FLOWER simply aren't going to convey the majesty of that climax... I mean, with a series like this, what could all those snippets from songs (even "All tomorrow's parties" or "Ladytron") mean to viewers who have never heard the originals?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 08:19
I enjoyed it, although found it quite preditcable.

It's always a pleasure to see footage of early Genesis, and the Roxy Music stuff was good too. I've seen most of that Floyd footage apart from the Wall live show. That looked great!

The BBC were never going to make a detailed program about prog or 'Art Rock' They were only ever going to talk about the most well known acts. In fact, Iwould say we were lucky that Genesis even got a mention. I'm dissapointed, although not suprised thatKing Crim son, The Moody Blues or Tull didn't get a mention. There was so much they missed, and I notice they cunningly avoided using the word 'progressive' in any context - as far as I can remember.
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 09:30
Also, the series should be called "Seven Ages of British Rock", since British bands are really the focus of it all. True, in the next few episodes there will be some talk of Bruce Springsteen, Patti Smith, R.E.M., Nirvana etc. But whatever happened to Southern Boogie and West Coast rock? Clearly Charles Shaar Murray doesn't have any time for the Allmann Brothers or Neil Young, who were far more influential (internationally speaking) than the British glam rock bands. (Please note I'm not saying these things 'cause I'm so crazy about Neil Young. Actually, I care much more for Bowie!) Furthermore, superb singer-songwriters like Joni Mitchell and soul/funk bands like Sly Stone or Parliament get left out altogether, but I guess that's because they aren't "rock"...

Edited by fuxi - May 28 2007 at 09:30
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 10:37
Well, imho of course, there sometimes seems to be a bias towards the 'street cred', so to speak- this explains a lot of the deification thrown at punk- amongst the rock press, which is something prog doesn't necessarily have. But I thought Floyd and Genesis were given a reasonable account. And I love Bowie and Roxy Music myself, and still give 'The Velvet Underground And Nico' many airings although I hated it when I first heard it, I grew to really like it.

As for the absence of soul music (and I myself really like a lot of what was done in that field in the late 60s and early 70s), the producers justified this by claiming that they had already made a series about soul music called 'Soul Deep'. I'll be charitable and excuse them the absence of jazz rock and folk rock, as the BBC did good series with these strands featured- 'Jazz Britannia' and 'Folk Britannia' respectively- not so long ago. But IMHO, the absence of the rock and roll pioneers- Elvis etc- and the US psych scene barely given a nod save Hendrix (Nor UK outside of Floyd and Cream), is less forgiveable in a 'story of rock' series.

I have a friend that saw the last ten minutes and dismissed Genesis- based on those few minutes, coming back to what you said, Fuxi, about non-prog fans basing judgements on brief snippets- as being 'bloody awful', based on the flower wearing Gabriel being 'wacky for the sake of it' and the music 'not being about anything'. I couldn't really be bothered arguing about it..LOL I once modelled the 'flower mask' for a fancy dress thing in my primary school....I'll get my coat.Embarrassed
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 14:47
Oh Salmacis, I don't blame your friend, I thought dear old PG looked pretty silly myself... In contrast to Live at Shepperton on YouTube, where he looks great on "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" and the "Supper's Ready" finale! (This may actually be the same concert - but I haven't watched "Willow Farm" yet!)
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 15:03
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

Oh Salmacis, I don't blame your friend, I thought dear old PG looked pretty silly myself... In contrast to Live at Shepperton on YouTube, where he looks great on "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" and the "Supper's Ready" finale! (This may actually be the same concert - but I haven't watched "Willow Farm" yet!)

I have that Shepperton Concert on DVD and my brother nearly pissed himself laughing at Gabriels's costumes when I played it a while ago....they actually seemed "normal" to me in 1973...
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 16:03
Oh yeah, I agree with that, the costumes are outlandish to say the least!!LOL The 'slipperman' one is always a 'what the...' moment whenever I see it!
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2007 at 03:53
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

I have that Shepperton Concert on DVD and my brother nearly pissed himself laughing at Gabriels's costumes when I played it a while ago....they actually seemed "normal" to me in 1973...

I loved the juxtaposition of Gabriel's antics & 'Bill & Ben', who were apparently a great influence on him; seeing them together you can see what he means

Oh and Tony - you don't have a DVD copying machine, do you??? +++beg beg beg+++

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2007 at 04:01
Apparently,Gabriel used to cycle to the recording/rehearsal studio in the red dress(fox head costume). He said that he would get quite a few comments......No!   

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2007 at 07:54
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

Apparently,Gabriel used to cycle to the recording/rehearsal studio

The cover artist for Foxtrot saw him wobbling down the road on an ancient bicycle & put him in the background

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>