Message Reverse Sort Order
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: the peak year of a musician
    Posted: May 16 2007 at 00:02
On a creative level or on a technical level?... I will talk about both

Creative

Jon Anderson 1972/1974 - I dont only mean the singing, Jon was pretty much the mind behind Close, Relayer and of course Tales. Tales might not be for everyone, but I find some parts that are just... magical. He would still make great music, but in those 2-3 years... he was touched my God or something ...he also sung his best in that period!

Peter Hammill 1971/1974 - The same as with Anderson, this man alwasy, alwasy sings great, I love his vocals in Present, but when it comes to... composing, those years where perfection, as simple as that

Technically

Martin Lopez 2003/2005 - He always was a great drummer, but in his later albums he just does some incredible stuff, and its so recognizable, you can tell that its Lopez who is playing!

...I want to say Fripp 1969/2007... but I dont want to sound like a freakin n00b fanboy ajjajaja
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
patomtz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 21:28

Daniel Gildenlow (songwriting), Petrucci (guitar) 90s and 00

I still can't get how Dream Theater music is created by humans

Dream Theater in Monterrey, Mexico   03.03.06   Unforgettable
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 20:31
Originally posted by Sasquamo Sasquamo wrote:

The older you get, the better you should get.  Of course, in the case of many rock musicians, they sometimes seem to reach a plateau and never get better, for all sorts of reasons, maybe from not practicing, or maybe from having a poor technique that can only get them so far.  But as you get older, you might run out of things to say, especially if you were pretty groundbreaking early on.

it is hard to ask phil collins to be better on drums than on trick of the tail & unorthodox behabviour

wind and wuthering has excellent drum parts, but not at the same level as on ATOTT. after that, the demise started for collins. TLLDOB is original in terms of  drums but it is not spectacular.

[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 17:49
The older you get, the better you should get.  Of course, in the case of many rock musicians, they sometimes seem to reach a plateau and never get better, for all sorts of reasons, maybe from not practicing, or maybe from having a poor technique that can only get them so far.  But as you get older, you might run out of things to say, especially if you were pretty groundbreaking early on.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 16:12
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Hackett hasn't reinvented himself, just expanded his horizons.

O.K., that's a better description of Bruford's development as well.

...and a clever play on words... LOL
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 13:10
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

O.K., that's a better description of Bruford's development as well.
The Acolyte View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 12:37

Ì've been thinking and I agree with someone who says that this topic is very related with the albums you like, so my favorites are: Mike Howlett (bass)  - 1974 - Gong; Steve Hillage (guitar) - 1975 - solo work (Fish Rising); Andy Latimer (guitar) - Andy Ward (drums)  - 1973-1976 - Camel; Dave Jackson (sax) - 1975 - VdGG

"…but would I leave you in this moment of your trial?"
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 12:34
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 12:32
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Steve Hackett is currently doing some of his best work. Jeff Beck is also doing music now that is only paralleled by his early to mid '70s period. PFM just did their best album since the '70s. Paul McCartney's "Chaos and Creation" is one of his all time best albums, and he released an excellent classical work in "Ecce Cor Meum."

I don't know how many people would agree that these artists are now doing some of their best work, but even if that's true, they seem to be exceptions, rather than the rule. Generally speaking, rock musicians peak before they are thirty, although they may return later in life, for a few more molehills...

Perhaps the fact that they get children, or feel they have partied enough, is part of the reason. Another explanation could be that most rock music is a typically ADOLESCENT means of expression.

In prog, I guess players who keep trying to reinvent themselves (e.g. Fripp, Hackett, Bruford) are the truest musicians of all. But the question remains: why do so many jazz musicians keep making the most imaginative music, well into their thirties and forties, and beyond? Surely the lives they lead are just as irregular as rock musicians' lives?
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 12:26
JOHN WETTON---1974    when he was the meanest bassist on earthThumbs%20Up
blazno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 11:37
John Zorn - every time he plays Smile he's always pushin the boundries of his playing as well as the boundries of musical compositiones

Edited by blazno - May 15 2007 at 11:42
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 11:06
need to ask Ricochet how old he is, as he's just peaking (he won a piano contest at the weekend playing with Debussey).

Hey, Rico, how old are you now?
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 11:02
Freddie Mercury 1975-1976

In the years between 1967 and 1974 he was building up to that creative perfection by learning the skills and the experience he needed to manipulate his music to do what was in his head and transfer it to recorded music. After that he stayed capable but his creativity and novelty waned a bit untill he learned he died, which unleashed another creative peak between 1988 and 1990.

top moment: Bohemian Rhapsody

Edited by tuxon - May 15 2007 at 11:19
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
King Zappa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 10:36
Rodger Waters, 1971. After this he seems to have stoped trying to improve his playing and prefered to spend his time re-writing the same songs about how he doesn't want the money that he had.
lady_iona View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 09:27
Steve Walsh , Kansas  1978    saw them that year he looked good in his little yellow shorts and he sang superb also played some wicked keyboards and ran around everywhere on stage like he was unstoppable  knee pads looked good too Wink

Edited by lady_iona - May 15 2007 at 09:31
Roskisdyykkari View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 09:08
Ian Anderson (in fact, the whole Jethro Tull): 1972 - 1977
Back then, his voice was in top-condition, he did the most excellent albums such as Thick as a Brick and Songs from the Wood. His flute-playing has always been great, but especially since the 70s it has been fantastic. The best year of Jethro Tull / Ian Anderson must be 1972, but 1977 was pretty damn good year for them as well, and so were all the years between 72 and 77.

---
And this one is not-so-prog, but I'll mention it anyway:
Nicko McBrain: 1988
Of course I like his drumming before that year, but on the album "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" - wow! One of the best drum-albums that I have ever heard. Just listen to "Infinite Dreams", damn I like that drumming! In the 90s Nicko didn't play THAT good drum-patterns, and especially on the album Virtual XI his drumming sounds very boring. Luckily he has always played well live even though he did some boring drum-patterns on few albums. And luckily his drumming on the latest IM-album, A Matter Of Life And Death, his drumming is almost as good as it was in the 80s!

Edited by Roskisdyykkari - May 15 2007 at 09:09
And the sand-castle virtues are all swept away
in the tidal destruction the moral melee.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 08:43
In most cases, it seem to be early on, but after a few learning experiences. However, that's not always true. Steve Hackett is currently doing some of his best work. Jeff Beck is also doing music now that is only paralleled by his early to mid '70s period. PFM just did their best album since the '70s. Paul McCartney's "Chaos and Creation" is one of his all time best albums, and he released an excellent classical work in "Ecce Cor Meum."

Edited by bhikkhu - May 15 2007 at 08:49
Badabec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 08:33
Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

This somehow reminds me of a brilliant verse that I can't get out of my head: "The memories of a man in his old age/Are the deeds of a man in his prime"...

I won't name some artists, but I'll throw this observation: doesn't it seem interesting to you how in rock music the creativity peak is at a much younger age than in other genres that are more academic? I mean, in classical music the older/more mature you get, the better your works are (of course taking account of the several notable exceptions); on the other side, in rock many musicians peak at 18-25 years and very rarely equal at the age of 40-50 years their deeds from their prime. I've been thinking about this for some time without finding a decent answer.

Maybe this is the case because after the age of 25 they start to found a family and don't have as much time as they had when they were younger.
Mesmo a tristeza da gente era mais bela
E além disso se via da janela
Um cantinho de céu e o Redentor

- Antônio Carlos Jobim, Toquinho & Vinícius de Moraes - Carta ao Tom 74
zbida View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 07:39

My proposition:

Bryan Ferry (hmm, rare mentioned hereUnhappy) - first half of '80's - creativity: Avalon, Boys And Girls.
paolo.beenees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 07:18
Niccolò - Guitar 2027 (he's my nephew, you'll see!) Big%20smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>