Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Story behind Rush's Countdown song!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Story behind Rush's Countdown song!
    Posted: May 15 2007 at 12:19
First of all..I found this paruzing this site: http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/index.html
If you like Rush, it is worth a visit!

But anyway..here is a cool story about the song "Countdown" on Signals I never knew before!

"On April 9th [1981] we flew into Orlando on a day off, checked into a hotel, and slept until about four A.M., when we had to leave for our rendezvous at the Air Force Base near the Cape. There we met our liaison man, who conducted us safely into the 'V.I.P.' zone (Red Sector A) in the pre-dawn hours. We stood around, listening to the announcements, as the sun rose higher and hotter in the sky.

[April 10th] "We were due to play that night in Dallas, so we couldn't wait much longer. Finally they announced that the launch would be scrubbed for that day. The computers weren't speaking! Well, we ran for the car, and our daring driver sped off, around the traffic jams, down the median of the highway, and got us to the airport barely in time.

[April 11th] "The next night we had a show in San Antonio, after which we drove off immediately, clambered into a hired jet, and flew straight back to Florida.

[April 12th] "This time the launch took place on schedule, and it was SOMETHING!! (More about that in the song.) Again we raced backed to the plane, and flew off once more, back to Fort Worth where we had a show that night. Fortunately the day after that was a day off, so we had a chance to catch up on all that sleep!

"I remember thinking to myself as we flew back to Fort Worth after a couple days without sleep: 'We've got to write a song about this!' It was an incredible thing to witness, truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I can only hope that the song comes even close to capturing the excitement and awe that we felt that morning." - Neil Peart, "Stories From Signals", Signals Tourbook

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 12:21
Thought this was well known.LOL

Isnt this story on the album sleve too?
yarstruly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 12:26
OOPS! Sorry..I haven't noticed it before!

Anyway, that's a cool pic with the hardhats & all!

Edited by yarstruly - May 15 2007 at 12:27
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 12:30
Originally posted by yarstruly yarstruly wrote:

OOPS! Sorry..I haven't noticed it before!

Anyway, that's a cool pic with the hardhats & all!

I'm pretty sure I was aware of the story on buying the LP, but I could be wrong and I later discovered it. My memory ain't so good young 'un!
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 12:38
The vinyl I have only gives mention to it in the form of a dedication to the astronauts and NASA for their cooperation and inspiration.
yarstruly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 12:50
OK...don't feel quite so silly now....
But this will make up for it...

Alex snorts COKE!
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 14:16
I just listened to the latest Rush visit to Rockline. Very insightful on the new CD. But aside from that, I noticed they weren't quite as jovial as they normally are. GO figure.
Tommydouglas View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 16:17
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

I just listened to the latest Rush visit to Rockline. Very insightful on the new CD. But aside from that, I noticed they weren't quite as jovial as they normally are. GO figure.

While, in my understanding, they're still a close trio who enjoy each other and know how to have a laugh, there still may be a change in the mood of the band from all of Neal Peart's tragedy (loss of wife and daughter) in the last few years. Some of this shows up in the lyrics on the new album which, I understand, sadly, pokes at those with faith rather than proclaiming whatever Mr. Peart finds positive in his atheism. Or, maybe they were just tired that night....   
"I'm not really spiritual, just religious."
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 16:25

This week it's RUSH EXTRAVAGANZA, never before so many
                       threads were dedicated to my beloved power prog trio LOL !
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 17:08
Originally posted by Tommydouglas Tommydouglas wrote:

Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

While, in my understanding, they're still a close trio who enjoy each other and know how to have a laugh, there still may be a change in the mood of the band from all of Neal Peart's tragedy (loss of wife and daughter) in the last few years. Some of this shows up in the lyrics on the new album which, I understand, sadly, pokes at those with faith rather than proclaiming whatever Mr. Peart finds positive in his atheism. Or, maybe they were just tired that night....   

Off topic warning:
They may have just been tired. The recent release and subsequent promotions could wear these older gents out. Neil had addressed the losses years back. The book "Ghost Rider" was about his reflections, if I am not mistaken. (I haven't read it yet.Shocked) The losses were quite some time ago.

I don't think anything shows up in the new album related to this. Although I have to admit, Peart is right on the money with his religious views. Geddy talked about not having a problem with singing "Faithless" as he is not one who subscribes to organized religion. KUDOS to Ged for that, eh!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 23:55
I don't own a Signals tour program, but I believe the whole "Countdown" saga was printed therein. I haven't seen that hardhat pic in years!
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 07:15
Notice the concert tickets???  When they only cost $10 to see Rush!  Charlotte will cost me $88 each.
 Post Reply Post Reply