Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Brain Salad Surgery Appreciation Thre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 14:33
My first ELP album. Love it till today. KE( was the obvious center of my attention, but by now I think Toccata, KE( 2nd impression and my all-time favourite Blake's Jerusalem are the true gems.

Always loved Benny the Bouncer. I'm not a Zappa fan, but this piece is a good case for the "does humor belong to music" argument.
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.
willy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 14:42
This was my first favorite ELP album.  The more I listen to trilogy the more I like it, but BSS is still probably my favorite.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 14:43
Originally posted by endlessepic endlessepic wrote:

If you guys check out my post I think those 2 songs fit into the concept. Also, why not appreciate thread this album? It holds water. We just want to talk about one of the greatest albums of all time.

Its not a concept album.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 14:48
Best ELP album and one of my all time favorites!
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 15:00
Yes, one of the classics of prog, I think it's my favorite ELP record (though I vacillate between it and the debut).  The KE9 suite is superb - maybe the best prog ever to be a really popular single (1st impression Pt. 2).  I still laugh thinking about my wife (gf at the time) coming into my dorm room one time when the "video game" section of Toccata was playing...the look was priceless.  Wink
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 15:15
ELPs best and no doubt 1 of the best prog albums ever. Love it ! Heart 

And i read about it in Mojo best albums of all time.. something like after this masterpice ELP hade taken prog to the edge thier where no place for me to go after it. And i have to agree.

I also named my char in a online game i play too Toccata many italian people start talking with thinking im italian hehe.. no one have said anything about ELP yet but some knew it was a classical song.. Tongue

Edited by Zargus - May 16 2007 at 15:23
cookieacquired View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 18:20
First (& only) ELP album that I have

I should get Tarkus now

but I loooooove Karn-evil (all of it)

endlessepic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 18:57
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

If you guys check out my post I think those 2 songs fit into the concept. Also, why not appreciate thread this album? It holds water. We just want to talk about one of the greatest albums of all time.

Its not a concept album.

With all due respect, it is. The band themselves said it was. It may not be as blatant a concept as something else like "The Lamb" or "The Wall" but it still has a concept.

I just bought it on vynil today! I had the cd but not the actual record.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 18:58
Originally posted by cookieacquired cookieacquired wrote:

First (& only) ELP album that I have

I should get Tarkus now

but I loooooove Karn-evil (all of it)

Get trilogy. Tarkus is good but its not the 2nd best. Also the debut album is awesome!
oracus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 00:11
Wonderfull album! For me is the ideal prog album to show what prog sounds! Karnevil is the strongest track indeed :D
Also, i have it in a special place in my heart because it was my father's favourite in his teenage years

darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 02:09
Just like amy of us here this one album was one of my first prog albums I heard more that 20 years ago and still is one of my favorite ELP album. great memories. Killer Organ solos wasome!!!!
I havent' listen to it in a while.Ssince I started visiting this site I have been listening and buying so many new bands so cool. Any way back to the subject Brain Salad is a brilliant art piece and prog collection without isn;t complete.!!
I aso If you're big of fan of the ELP you should check Triumvirat and 70's LE Ormea and EGG the legendary keys dave stewart's first band before Hartifeld and national health.

Edited by darksideof - May 17 2007 at 02:16
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 07:02
If you want to talk about ELp in general, feel free to use the....

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 07:39

Its not a concept album.

With all due respect, it is. The band themselves said it was. It may not be as blatant a concept as something else like "The Lamb" or "The Wall" but it still has a concept.

No it isn't. Where do the band say it was? As a fan for 32 years I never heard it.. I read your summary of the "concept". I thought it was a load of bull to be honest.
pero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 08:55
The UK based ELP magazine Impressions, which was started after a highly successful 25th Anniversary ELP Convention in Birmingham, England in September 1995, has now been going for nearly two years. In that time, we have featured exclusive interviews with a member of the band in every issue, as well as a string of other interesting articles and features. Probably one of the most interesting tasks we have tackled, is to try and find out which ELP albums and tracks are the most popular amongst the fans. As far as we know, no surveys of this kind had been done before and it was time to put the fans' preferences to the test!

The two surveys Impressions did, one for best album and one for best tracks, has provided the most accurate information about the back catalogue. This is, in fact, the first time any sort of accurate information, other than record sales, has been available and we would argue that a retrospective survey is much better than via a contemporary method, i.e. the market place at the time. There are a lot of factors that make up a best seller and some of them are not connected to the music. For example, the new Oasis album will sell on the strength of what people have heard before and such is the expectancy, it will probably be the most successful before most people have even hear it. Our ELP surveys established the most popular albums and tracks, based on the MUSIC - which is, after all what it is all about and what we love ELP for!

It is common knowledge that for a large number of fans, the first five albums range as the pinnacle of the band's career, ELP being on top of their creativity. Let's find out a bit more detail:

Both surveys confirm, beyond all doubt, that BRAIN SALAD SURGERY is the TOP album in every category. This has certainly justified the album being released in many differing formats in recent years - special editions and, recently, even vinyl! Thus, each record company had gone along with number five being special. Impressions even took it's name from ELP's most musically defining moment! So, even before the surveys were done, there was the awareness that Brain Salad Surgery was very special!

Almost four hundred die-hard fans took part in the two surveys. The first survey revealed a thundering victory for Brain Salad Surgery with 334 points, with Trilogy in second place, floundering with 219 points. Tarkus was not far behind that. This is the final result of that survey:

1) BRAIN SALAD SURGERY (334 points)
2) TRILOGY (219 points)
3) TARKUS (208 points)
4) WELCOME BACK MY FRIENDS... (160 points)
5) EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER (125 points)
6) PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION (113 points)
7) WORKS VOLUME 1 (80 points)
8) BLACK MOON (74 points)
9) LIVE AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL (42 points)
10) WORKS LIVE (12 points)
11) IN THE HOT SEAT (7 points)
12) WORKS VOLUME 2 (5 points)
13) LOVE BEACH (3 points)

Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 12:11
Each time ELP brought out an album I did not think it could be bettered. Sadly Brain Salad Surgery was the last of these, although there were other good albums. The ultimate ELP material for me is the Royal Albert Hall performance of Pictures at an Exhibition in 1992 (for the BBC). After all these years I still have not been able to track it down.  

PS. Can anyone point out the necessity of the repetitive animations creeping into these postings?
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 16:30
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

. The ultimate ELP material for me is the Royal Albert Hall performance of Pictures at an Exhibition in 1992 (for the BBC). After all these years I still have not been able to track it down.  

That DVD has been knocking around for a few years now. Although only recently released in the UK, I bought a USA import about five years ago. The import is far better as it is 5:1 dolby digital, whilst the recently released UK version is only dolby digital stereo.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 10:12

Its not a concept album.

No it isn't. Where do the band say it was? As a fan for 32 years I never heard it.. I read your summary of the "concept". I thought it was a load of bull to be honest.

Well thanks for the...uhh...upfrontness. Do you have the special edition BSS cd? Listen to the last "bonus" track. There you will hear Keith and Greg discussing the concept. Also, have you read Macans Endless Enigma book? Good literature and that might give you some insight into the concepts. (I know that he is not ELP but he has some very good thoughts on the subject)
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 10:24

Its not a concept album.

Well thanks for the...uhh...upfrontness. Do you have the special edition BSS cd? Listen to the last "bonus" track. There you will hear Keith and Greg discussing the concept. Also, have you read Macans Endless Enigma book? Good literature and that might give you some insight into the concepts. (I know that he is not ELP but he has some very good thoughts on the subject)

As BSS is not a concept, they are probably talking abot KE9. This other guy doesn't interest me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12