Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Brain Salad Surgery Appreciation Thre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Brain Salad Surgery Appreciation Thre
    Posted: May 15 2007 at 19:57
For fans of "Brain Salad Surgery" by Emerson Lake and Palmer:

Positively fantastic concept album. Let us discuss the merit of such a fantastic piece of work!

I would suggest reading Edward Macans synopsis of this album in "Endless Enigma"

What are your favorite tracks? what makes you love this album?

Thanks

raindance View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 20:09

Rolling Stone magazine recently said this was the greatest progressive rock album ever in a recent prog rock edition of the magazine.Clap

I've come to appreciate the bands adaption of Ginastrata's 'Toccata' over the years and Palmer's drumming at the time was revolutionary. The author of the piece himself said that the band captured it beautifully.

The whole album is superb!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 20:46

Before I really became a prog fan, I heard Toccata at a cousin's house on a nice stereo system, back in the '70's shortly after it was released.  I was a big fan of monster movies and sci-fi, so it had a lot of appeal to me.  I don't think I really appreciated the rest of it until I was older.

The album cover was way cool too.  I still have the vinyl.  An H.R. Geiger that opens up in the middle.  Had a major influence into the keyboard freak I am today.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Atomic_Rooster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 20:47
Geiger is the best
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
ClassicRocker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 20:47

BSS is definitely a masterpiece (It was the first prog album I ever listened to - way back at age 8!)

It seems like not many people around here like to give much credit to ELP Confused, which is very unfortunate.

The best song - if i had to choose - would be "Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression"
(Yet there are really no low points on the album.)

Many times I hear people compain about "Benny The Bouncer" being "ELP's low point" in their career, but I love it!
- It's a great example of their sense of humor and has an entertaining bar-song quality.
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 21:06
The essence of masterliness

My favorite song is KE9(the whole thing), my favorite ELP song ever too. Benny The Bouncer is ok, there is a silly song like that on every album and it's my favorite of them all. Fantastic sleeve, fantastic music, masterpiece.
patomtz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 21:26
I havem't heard it! but I've many positive comments and reviews, so Im thinking of buying it!
I still can't get how Dream Theater music is created by humans

Dream Theater in Monterrey, Mexico   03.03.06   Unforgettable
Evandro Martini View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 21:34
Tell me about th concept, please, because I never understoodd it.

I saw on Q magazine about album covers that the album was intended to be called "Whip some skull on ya!", and that both this expression and "Brain Salad Surgery" are slangs for fellatio. Tongue
Speesh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 22:42
I personally prefer Karn Evil 9 to Tarkus, great album overall. 
endlessepic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 22:43
The Concept...in a short summary
Inspired by Edward Macans thoughts on the concept

Brain Salad Surgery is a concept album dealing with human endurance and hope, and also with a prophetic foreword look at a technological takeover of mankind.

"Jerusalem" is a striving, hopeful outlook at the start of the album showing a pleasant world with only a few problems. "dark satanic mills" Oddly enough ELP were able to use songs they had not written in their concepts.

After the bold majestic ending chords of "Jerusalem," we hear a short dissonant bugle call...to an extent almost in mockery of the major key-ness of "Jerusalem"
Distant drums (Timpani) signal a coming of something that isn't quite in place with the previous track. "Toccata" comes in all of its fury unleashing a completely aggressive and unrelenting machinelike attack. It subsides into a percussion solo with various risings and falling signifying that fear and chaos of such an attack until it ends with reckless abandon...

"Still You Turn Me On" shows that amidst this chaos and thunder, love can live on, it shows the gentler side of ELP and brings some order and beauty to this monster which has been fully established so far.

"Benny the Bouncer" for what I can tell is either just a non-related bit of fun, or a sort of homage to the fact that no matter what happens, humans are still humans and won't find unity even if they are being attacked by some hideous force...I don't remember what Macan said about this track.

to be continued.

Yanns View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 22:49
Brain Salad Surgery started my progressive journey. I heard it for the first time in my freshman year, an introduction by my father. I didn't even know what prog was before then. That album changed my life.

It started the whole thing for me. It's the reason I'm here on this site.
ClassicRocker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 22:57
Originally posted by patomtz patomtz wrote:

I havem't heard it! but I've many positive comments and reviews, so Im thinking of buying it!

Don't think, man... Just DO IT! Big%20smile

Edited by ClassicRocker - May 15 2007 at 23:00
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 22:57
Karn Evil 9 is where what is already established breaks loose in totality.

It appears that in the First Impression part 1, technology or computers or whatever it is, has taken over. A hero figure is striving to "help the helpless and the refugees, to protect what's left of humanity" but as we come into the 2nd part, it is apparent that humans and various things that are associated with humanity are being used as carnival attractions.

The 2nd impression is instrumental and totally amazing in that respect, we see a few themes from the first impression and even a call or two from toccata. There are numerous mood changes which could be linked to the fight or hope/hopelessness. Amidst all that it is still a bloody good song with an awesome ambient section and amazing trio interplay.

The 3rd impression is the "all pomp and no circumstance" part of the epic. I think this one signifies a huge amount of conceptualization in and of itself. It is very majestic and calls back to the beauty of "Jerusalem"
What is awesome is that when you listen to this with the concept in mind, the organ solos are not "mindless noodling strictly for showing off KE's skills," They are a full blown story played out in the repetitive notes (sounds like a cold unemotional computer) and the organ swells (clashes and fights)
After the very eerie and technically stunning middle section we return to a pseudo-majestic part, it seems back to normal but some holdover bits from the previous section suggest that all is not well. When we hear Greg Lake sing "Rejoice Glory is ours, our young men have no died in vain" one would think that humans have one in entirety, but as one listens forward "their graves need no flowers, the tapes have recorded their names" it clearly shows technology has won and humans are just a part of it. The fading synthesizer at the end shows the cold repetitive truth of what has happened...humans have not won...

All in all is an amazing sounding record, so much good organ and such that one digs it just for all the great sound, but the concept is also very interesting. I do think that if people really give it the time of day it is very very enjoyable!
Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 23:00
Hmmmmmmm... such a big classic and masterpiece album! My favorites are the totally mind blowing Tocatta and the masterpiece epic Karn Evil 9 (I used to have a constant addiction with the first impression). The other ones are great, standing out Still You Turn Me On.

Why do I like it? I knew the band by this disc, and I was TOTALLY blown away by Keith's playing and ELP's music; also, I just simply enjoy a lot listening to the album, AND, I don't know if this happens to you too, but Brain Salad Surgery gives me a lot of energy whenever I listen to it, comething very curious, I guess it's because of the big dynamism of the music.

BRAIN SALAD SURGERY ROCKS!!!!

"Come inside, the show's about to start, guaranteed to blow your head apart..." Approve
ozzy_tom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 07:16
This my number 2 in my whole discography ! (only Tarkus is better for me :-). The whole album is brilliant..even Benny The Bouncer isn't as bad as people say, it's justa good music joke. Toccata is one of the weirdest thing I've ever listened to and Karn Evil 9 is just super. It beats all the other suites like "Close to the Edge", "Supper's ready", "Thick as a brick" or "Atom Heart Mother" ! Karn Evil 9 is a suite that defined the whole genre for me...and it doesn't matter that it was created after the rest of well-known epics, they just take from them everything what's the best and most "Typical" for progressive rock.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 07:20

Is it really a concept album?

How do Benny the Bouncer and Still You Turn Me On fit into the concept?

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 07:22
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Benny was a very attractive man

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 07:23
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Benny was a very attractive man

LOL
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 07:30
Not a concept album.

Don't think this is the place for this thread either. I mean the ELP appreciation thread belongs here, but a specific album? Whats the point?

Albums need to be discussed in the "Prog Recommendations/Featured Albums"
section., but no need to put appreciation in it. Unless...ah I understand, you are not allowed to criticize BSS in this thread.

Edited by Snow Dog - May 16 2007 at 07:42
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 14:11
If you guys check out my post I think those 2 songs fit into the concept. Also, why not appreciate thread this album? It holds water. We just want to talk about one of the greatest albums of all time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>