Topic ClosedzFroGs - one-man band project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: zFroGs - one-man band project
    Posted: May 16 2007 at 15:38
Hi guys.

Last year I was involved in my project called zFroGs. I'm from Brazil and I played bass guitar for last twenty years (Heavy Metal, Prog Rock and blues bands). My intention is release an independent album with colaboratins of some friends of prog and heavy scene from Brazil. I would like to know your opinion about my work, for now all tunes are instrumental but I will add vocals (english and portuguese).
It's really difficult for me talk about my own work and I think is anti-ethical and if someone of you want to make a review will be welcome.
On Myspace I have four demo songs (incomplete yet) but you can hear and and maybe write here some comments or reviews. Thanks a lot.

zFroGs - Eri Soares (bass, acoustic and electric guitars, keys and programming)

www.myspace.com/zfrogs
https://www.instagram.com/erifrog/
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 15:44
I like what I hear so far...keep up the good work.Thumbs%20Up

zFrogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 16:27
Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

I like what I hear so far...keep up the good work.Thumbs%20Up

Thanks man.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 13:32

I know how hard Eri is fighting to find his space and he's fighting with honour and courage. Great stuff, good sound. Bravo!!! Clap

Guigo

~~~~~~
zFrogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 23:21
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

I know how hard Eri is fighting to find his space and he's fighting with honour and courage. Great stuff, good sound. Bravo!!! Clap

Hi Guigo,

Thanks a lot for your nice words. I try so hard to make good music with love and passion. Music is my life and I will going pass more and more time to concept my ideas. Thanks again good friend.

Eri
zFrogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 23:24
Hey guys I would like to know more about your opinion. Please all of you feel welcome to make a comment. I would like to know what style you think about my songs.
StarsongAgeless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 23:59
'Congeal' is a good song - such an interesting sound!  Is there a violin in there or is that an electric guitar with an interesting effect on it?  I liked when the song slowed down at about 6:00... I did think it could use some vocals, but I always seem to think that for instrumental songs. :)

'Stoned' hooked me in right away.  It reminded me of Ray Bradbury Theater for some reason... obscure, I know!  Then it became... oh, I don't know how else to say it: rockin'!  I like this one a lot, much more than 'Congeal'.  This one qualifies as fantastic in my book, even without any vocals.  I think you could leave it exactly the way it is on an album.

'I Just Saw' 's intro reminded me of a show I used to watch when I was a kid called The Land of the Lost.  Man I loved that show... so yes I think that's a good thing!  Then when it broke into the electric guitar part... wow.  Shivers up my spine.  This song grows and evolves so naturally, each part flowing cleanly into the next without a dull moment.  I really loved the electronic effects.  My goodness, you're good at this aren't you?  Another fantastic song!

'Shadowplay' again starts with an interesting electronic effect that I found appealing, just in a more mellow way.  It didn't immediately grab me the way the previous two did, but I still liked it from the start.  When the more rhythmic section started, that's when I really got grabbed, and I stayed hooked throughout.  I thought the drum part was quite integral to the song - is this a drum loop type of program you're using or did you record real drums?  I think this is another fantastic one, especially if it eventually has a vocal part... Wink  (I just really like vocals.  This is another one that stands up great on its own, it's only the first song that I really thought was missing something without a vocal line).

Superb superb superb.  Clap  The only one that I thought needed some work was the first one.  I would buy this album right now if it existed.
Check out the Unsigned Bands section!
"Like the time I ran away, and turned around and you were standing close to me." Yes' Awaken
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 00:39
Great work Eri!!

The songs are very different one from each other....but all are great!

Continue with the great job, my personal favorite was the third song "I just saw new..."

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
zFrogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 00:43
Originally posted by StarsongAgeless StarsongAgeless wrote:

'Congeal' is a good song - such an interesting sound!  Is there a violin in there or is that an electric guitar with an interesting effect on it?  I liked when the song slowed down at about 6:00... I did think it could use some vocals, but I always seem to think that for instrumental songs. :)'Stoned' hooked me in right away.  It reminded me of Ray Bradbury Theater for some reason... obscure, I know!  Then it became... oh, I don't know how else to say it: rockin'!  I like this one a lot, much more than 'Congeal'.  This one qualifies as fantastic in my book, even without any vocals.  I think you could leave it exactly the way it is on an album.'I Just Saw' 's intro reminded me of a show I used to watch when I was a kid called The Land of the Lost.  Man I loved that show... so yes I think that's a good thing!  Then when it broke into the electric guitar part... wow.  Shivers up my spine.  This song grows and evolves so naturally, each part flowing cleanly into the next without a dull moment.  I really loved the electronic effects.  My goodness, you're good at this aren't you?  Another fantastic song!'Shadowplay' again starts with an interesting electronic effect that I found appealing, just in a more mellow way.  It didn't immediately grab me the way the previous two did, but I still liked it from the start.  When the more rhythmic section started, that's when I really got grabbed, and I stayed hooked throughout.  I thought the drum part was quite integral to the song - is this a drum loop type of program you're using or did you record real drums?  I think this is another fantastic one, especially if it eventually has a vocal part... Wink  (I just really like vocals.  This is another one that stands up great on its own, it's only the first song that I really thought was missing something without a vocal line).Superb superb superb.  Clap  The only one that I thought needed some work was the first one.  I would buy this album right now if it existed.

For the first time I heard: "I would buy this album right now if it existed." about my work.
I really try to finish it this year and because your words remind me: I will send you a copy when it released. Free and with a few words of thanks.

Well, I use Pro Tools to record, Strike (drum programing) and Reason (for some programing and keys) and some others plugins. I don't play drums and all drums are programing but with Strike the sound is very good, the dynamics and real feeling is superb. I play bass, electric and acoustic guitars and all keys.

I'm writing all lyrics now, I have 16 songs in progress. But just Congeal is totally ready and yes I use lyrics on it. The violin is a sample of a real violin and I played on keyboards.

About Stoned I have lyrics and melodies ready to record but I don't recorded bass guitar yet.

My inspiration for I Just Saw was when Brazil disqualified in a Football World Cup for France (the complete title is I Just Saw Some Ghosts in the Field) Maybe I don't use lyrics on it, I don't know yet. I think that I will a new drum programing, I don't know.

A friend of mine make lyrics and melodies to Shadowplay but I don't hear or saw yet. Heheheh. But he is a very good singer.

In my house I have a few equipments and instruments and I have work all nights and I think it will be better.

Many thanks about your words. Really I feel so happy. Thanks man.
zFrogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 00:48
Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

Great work Eri!!

The songs are very different one from each other....but all are great!

Continue with the great job, my personal favorite was the third song "I just saw new..."

Thanks Memowakeman,

Almost songs are like I Just Saw or Congeal but I have two or tree more heavy tunes.

Soon I will post new versions.

Thanks again.

Eri
Metalstrm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 09:04
Good music zFrogs. I like the proggish sound you are going for. The records are not top-notch, but that is not a big problem, as long as you've got the musical talent, and you do.
www.myspace.com/anomalymalta

www.anomaly-music.com
zFrogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 16:39
Originally posted by Metalstrm Metalstrm wrote:

Good music zFrogs. I like the proggish sound you are going for. The records are not top-notch, but that is not a big problem, as long as you've got the musical talent, and you do.

Hi, thanks for your words. I will keep my concept and work hard to find my space. Thanks again.

Eri
asimplemistake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 20:40
Hey there,
So I heard your music one time before, but now I'm coming back to listen again and give some feedback (which I forgot to do last timeErmm). 

I really liked the music.  Congeal is a very nice tune, it keeps me interested the whole time.  Stoned had some cool sounds in the beginning (except for a high pitched note I didn't like) but this song has a great atmosphere.  I Just Saw also had a cool atmosphere, with the modern sounding sawtooths in the beginning.  I like all of the sound effects you use in your songs.  What program specifically do you use for effects like in this song?  Your last song had some cool synths in it too, some I didn't like but thats ok. 

All of your songs are very interesting.  I like your sound a lot.  It'd be cool to hear some more recordings, I liked them a lot.

zFrogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2007 at 01:33
Originally posted by A_Simple_Mistake A_Simple_Mistake wrote:

Hey there,So I heard your music one time before, but now I'm coming back to listen again and give some feedback (which I forgot to do last timeErmm).  I really liked the music.  Congeal is a very nice tune, it keeps me interested the whole time.  Stoned had some cool sounds in the beginning (except for a high pitched note I didn't like) but this song has a great atmosphere.  I Just Saw also had a cool atmosphere, with the modern sounding sawtooths in the beginning.  I like all of the sound effects you use in your songs.  What program specifically do you use for effects like in this song?  Your last song had some cool synths in it too, some I didn't like but thats ok.  All of your songs are very interesting.  I like your sound a lot.  It'd be cool to hear some more recordings, I liked them a lot.

Hi Dan, thanks a lot man.
I'm starting with Reason for the inicial structure and some keys, programming and effects and then I record audios (bass, guitar) with ProTools. Next fase with ProTools I record some percussion and some friends (vocals and others instruments) and mix together.
On this process all tunes change a lot. I don't sing very well. So, when I finally finish all songs I will put it on some vocals.

Thanks again.

Eri
www.myspace.com/zfrogs
Heptade View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2007 at 13:52
Very nice stuff...some great ambient textures in addition to the heavier stuff. I especially like "Stoned".
The world keeps spinning, people keep sinning
And all the rest is just bullsh*t
-Steve Kilbey
zFrogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2007 at 14:45
Originally posted by Heptade Heptade wrote:

Very nice stuff...some great ambient textures in addition to the heavier stuff. I especially like "Stoned".

Thanks Allister.
Ktrout View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 18:50
I'm really keen actually - especially on 'Shadowplay.'  What pedals/board do you use for sound (delay, distortion etc.) ?  Also, who are your biggest influences?  Do you pick bass or use fingers?

The arrangements are really tasty; please post up when your album is released so I can buy a copy!
zFrogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 00:32
Originally posted by Ktrout Ktrout wrote:

I'm really keen actually - especially on 'Shadowplay.'  What pedals/board do you use for sound (delay, distortion etc.) ?  Also, who are your biggest influences?  Do you pick bass or use fingers?The arrangements are really tasty; please post up when your album is released so I can buy a copy!

Hi Ktrout,

First thanks for your words.
Well, on records I uses bass and guitars without any kind of effects because with Protools is more easy to uses plugins effects and the result is better. Yeah I love to abuse this stuff. But alive I use some pedals, my set is in that order: Tuner (Behringer), Bass Wah (Morley), Limiter (Groovin'), Bass Distortion (Groovin'), Bass EQ (Behringer), Bass Chorus (Ibanez), Digital Delay (Behringer), Octave (Behringer). Before I used some another pedals or Boards but with this pedals is more easy to controller, I need to buy a Bass synthetiser, maybe by Boss, I don't know yet. But my dream effects processor is Fireworx by TC Electronic. Fantastic for Guitar and bass guitar but in Brazil is too expensive (U$ 2,200). Someday I will buy it.
Alive I use my fingers but sometimes I use picks in recordings, for more distortion fingers are better but for clarity picks are better and for more dynamics fingers are always better.
Geddy Lee is the best for me and I like Prog, Metal, Blues, Hard, Brazilian Music and I try to absolve almost of I heard in my life. But, some guys with I played influences me a lot and why?
Well, some friends show me how and when I can play some kind of grooves or notes. Drummers are too important for me, I like to play follow them.
Anothers bassists who I loved: Michael Manring, Chris Squire, Geezer Butler, Jaco Pastorius and too many others.
Bands: King Crimson, Rush, Black Sabbath, Queen, The Mars Volta, Tool, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Hawkwind, Slade and many, many others.
I loved musicians who use and abuse of experimentalisms and I try to research a lot and I have 2,500 albuns in my collection.
zFrogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 14:25
Hi guys,

I'm starting 2008 with some news.
For now I will finish 10 songs with a friend of mine to release an album. Soon I will post new songs at myspace.com/zfrogs.
Croskill, my old prog metal band reunite in 2008 to record a new album.

I wish a happy and beautiful new year to all of you.
And I would like to tell you Progarchives is one of the best sites I ever saw.
Thank you guys for all support.
 Post Reply Post Reply