Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Rush product

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What goodie Rush should produce next?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [12.50%]
1 [2.50%]
8 [20.00%]
2 [5.00%]
1 [2.50%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.50%]
5 [12.50%]
17 [42.50%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Rush product
    Posted: February 21 2005 at 19:20

Boy, so much of those looks so nice.

I vote for the Old-fashioned prog album!

Wheew that'd be SWEET!!

Glass-Prison View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2005 at 20:33
It's obvious which one will come first... but it would be interesting to see the second, third and fourth places...
Sun Tsu said: To fight and conquer in your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tsu: The art of War
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2005 at 04:18

A new album of older sounding Rush would be good. Something like Moving Pictures in terms of production and feel, but perhaps with some long tracks - side long epic perhaps??!!

I also like the idea of a DVD of Exit Stage Left. For me that will always be Rush at their very best. My video of that tour is starting to deteriorate somewhat..

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
AngelRat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2005 at 04:47

A DVD documentary in the style of Iron Maiden's 'The Early Days' would be great. Especially when it has the same amount of interviews and rare live footage.

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2005 at 07:31

Rush 30th Anniversary DVD in the works?: Geddy Lee confirmed that Rush filmed their Sep. 24, 2004 R30 show "as a historical record of 'this' tour". A recent industry article, however, makes it seem that a great deal of cost and effort went into the recording for a simple "historical record": "Brad Madix leans over an 80-input Yamaha PM1D inside the cavernous Festhalle, the centerpiece of Frankfurt’s Messe convention complex....A crew of 14 cameras is shooting footage for what will ultimately become Rush’s second DVD music video. The fact that the cameras are HD, shooting in 1080p, indicates the band and its management plan a long and profitable revenue life for this project, well into the arrival of the next generation of high-density disc formats (HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc) and the proliferating number of high-def broadcast outlets in the U.S. and elsewhere...The video shoot was financed by the band and its Canadian management company, Anthem Entertainment, and will cost several hundreds of thousands of dollars by the time post-production and 5.1 mixing are finished. Thus, it wouldn’t be surprising if the evening’s emphasis naturally tended to be on the shoot over the show. 'The video is expensive, true, and it will be around for a long time in the form of a DVD,' Maxix concedes." - Rushing Into Something New, FOH Meets DVD on the Rush European Tour, FOHonline, Jan. 2005

The Next Rush Studio Album:

"Lee said he hopes the 'relaxed, performance-based atmosphere' of making Feedback is repeated on the next Rush studio album, which the band likely won't start working on until next spring or summer." Toronto Sun, Aug. 22, 2004

"[Feedback] was almost completely recorded live, although we did go back and add a guitar solo or vocal overdub here and there...We were working in new territory because of the time constraints...After this tour we'll be starting work on the next Rush album. Recording Feedback was incredibly refreshing. We'll probably use some of the techniques we learned when working on our next album." - Geddy Lee, The Arizona Republic, Jul. 10, 2004

Edited by Reed Lover

arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2005 at 09:17

Interesting, thanks Reed

I would love a 30th anniversary documentary but in the shape of the Classic Albums things - a little tour through each of the key albums intercut with a lot of live footage, videos and interviews, plus a little on gear and recording technique (okay I'm a studio/technology nerd)

I know there's probably not that much 70s live footage out there but I'd love to see stuff from the Tour of the Hemispheres or from Exit Stage Left period that would be awesome.

I'd settle for something like Led Zeppelin's DVD all five hours of it.

vaportrail View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 04:48
Originally posted by arcer arcer wrote:

I'd settle for something like Led Zeppelin's DVD all five hours of it.

-Oh, yes a most tremendus thought. We can but hope!

I can feel no sense of measure
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 05:16

The documentary on the band's last three dates in South America (Live In Rio DVD) I think is an excellent glimpse into the band at that point (2002). Geddy and Alex are on good form but were mindful of Neil's state of mind after the terrible events in his past, when they undertook the recording and tour of the Vapour Trails album.

Neil still looks a little fragile compared to his appearance on the Buddy Rich Memorial concert DVD which occurred just before his family were taken from him but you can see that the tour appears a good way of re-entering normal life.

My favourite part of the documentary is actually during the end credits where they show a few interview out-takes. Alex complains that he has something caught in his teeth and Geddy's subsequent comment leaves Alex paralysed with laughter which sets Geddy off as well. Both just shake with silent, uncontrollable mirth which I think is very touching indeed. You hear of how many bands hate the sight of one another after so many years in close proximity and yet here are two guys that have remained best friends throughout by their own admission.

Oh, the gig is good too...

Edited by sigod
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 07:17
Voted for "New Album of old-fashioned Prog" but then that'd put me in a quandry ... my Rush collection is just their first 8 albums (although I've heard most of the rest) ...
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
Grimm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 00:53
A New Album Of Old Fashioned Prog. Although, I would love to hear an all-instrumental album, 7 -10 tracks.
Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be or seem to be self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free
time.
Tommy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 01:09
RETIRE!
 Post Reply Post Reply