Topic ClosedPeter Lindgren leaves Opeth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peter Lindgren leaves Opeth
    Posted: May 17 2007 at 11:28

I'll miss his wonderful solos Cry

Peter Lindgren has stepped down from his guitar-wielding duties in OPETH after 16 years. His official statement on the matter reads as follows:

"It is with sadness I announce that OPETH and I are going separate ways after almost 16 years. The decision has been the toughest I've ever made but it is the right one to make at this point in my life.

"The reason behind this is that I feel that I simply have lost some of the enthusiasm and inspiration needed to participate in a band that has grown from a few guys playing the music we love to a worldwide industry. The love of music has always been, and still is, our motive, but I personally have lost something along the way. The massive amount of touring has taken its toll.

"OPETH has worked extremely hard to get where we are right now and in order to persist and maintain the quality of the music, it is necessary that we continue to work hard and always stay focused. But in doing so, it means that we nowadays spend 18 or 19 months on the road and I don't feel the same enthusiasm for the upcoming world tour that I have felt earlier. I have come to a point where I realize I won't be able to give the band 100%, and from both sides this will not be good enough for what OPETH stands for. I will always love playing, listening to, and living music, but I will do it differently from now on.

"These years has easily been the best of my life and I will always cherish the memory of what we have experienced together.

"I would like to thank the band, our management, record label people, all the bands I've made friends with for everything. Most of all, I would like to thank the fans from the depth of my heart for the support throughout the years.

'I wish Mikael, Martin, Per and Axe all the best and I am confident they will continue doing the greatest music in the world!!"

Fredrik Åkesson (ex-ARCH ENEMY, KRUX, TALISMAN) has been confirmed as the new guitarist in OPETH.

Says OPETH leader Mikael Åkerfeldt: "Well, I think it's too soon right now to fully be able to explain what I feel.

"Peter and I had been working in this band together for almost half of our lives and we shared some unforgettable experiences together all over the world. We will obviously remain friends and this 'break-up' has been on very good terms from both sides. We all wish him the best of luck with his future ventures!

Edited by heyitsthatguy - May 17 2007 at 11:29

Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 11:38
Cry
This, combined with Lopez' departure earlier, is killing me...

I fear for the next Opeth release now, something I never thought would happen...

This just SUCKS !!!
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 12:17
In fact I think that a change will do them good ... fresh new influences are what they need. I liked Ghost Reveries, but apart from the added keyboards it wasn't exactly innovative ...
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 12:31
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

In fact I think that a change will do them good ... fresh new influences are what they need. I liked Ghost Reveries, but apart from the added keyboards it wasn't exactly innovative ...

I guess you're right... for that to happen, Mikael has to let the other members flex their creative muscles a bit.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 13:12

perhaps someday Lopez and Lindgren will return. Both left b/c of burn out and they still have good relationships with Akerfeldt. Still, look to the present. I agree with Mike that the fresh blood might move Opeth forward. I haven't heard Axe, but Fred is a very capable guitarist. Expect album 9 to be very, very heavy.

Tristan Mulders View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 17:39
Will be interesting to see how this will work out for this band..

Edited by Tristan Mulders - May 17 2007 at 17:39
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 17:40
Weren't they writing right about now?
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 17:41
Awwww...Cry

Change or not, it always sucks when a good old band member leaves...
lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 18:37

Wow first Lopez and now Lindgren, I'm extremely worried.

Axe is a good drummer, and I think he'll fill Martin's void well on the next album, but I'm worried about replacing Peter.

I cannot see how Akesson will fit Opeth, he is very much a metal guitarist, and I can not see him pulling off Peter's bluesy guitar solos. Akesson has some serious chops, but he is not at all right for Opeth. I can't imagine Mikael's beautiful voice giving way to sweeping and thousand-mile-an-hour arpeggios Unhappy

When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 18:39
That sure does suck- but Im sure we all repect his reasoning. Yes, an interesting fill-in. I'm sure everyting will be just fine- the remainging members are solid!

chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 21:29
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Exactly my thoughts. I always feel happy when band members leave, because I get more exited when their next album will come out. That can be said for The Mars Volta, Pain of Salvation and now Opeth. On the other hand, he was a great guitarist and I enjoyed his work with the band. I wish him the best in the future.

Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 21:40
CryI dont think that Akesson can fill Lindgren's shoes. Akesson is a good guitarist but I cant Imagine him playing any of the softer parts.Cry

I am however intrested in what he will bring to the new sound, probably lots of metal, lots and lots of metal, thats not a bad thing... but Opeth was... well, more.
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
Metalstrm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 21:44
Well keep in mind that most of the writing is done by Mike. Now if Akesson comes up with a ripping shreddy solo I don't think Mike would just open his arms in acceptance. Per and Mendez will probably concur too. And as for the person who said something about  Peter's bluesy solos, they were not bluesy at all. The bluesy solos are all done by Mike himself. Peter's solos are more ragged and sweeping. I don't think we have to worry. If anything, this guitarist is probably much more technical than Peter.
www.myspace.com/anomalymalta

www.anomaly-music.com
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 21:48
Originally posted by Metalstrm Metalstrm wrote:

Well keep in mind that most of the writing is done by Mike. Now if Akesson comes up with a ripping shreddy solo I don't think Mike would just open his arms in acceptance. Per and Mendez will probably concur too. And as for the person who said something about  Peter's bluesy solos, they were not bluesy at all. The bluesy solos are all done by Mike himself. Peter's solos are more ragged and sweeping. I don't think we have to worry. If anything, this guitarist is probably much more technical than Peter.
 True but I dont want Opeth to become Mike and the Peth's ither, Mike never wrote all the music and collaberation is better than controlling band leads. just look at what happened to Pink Floyd. Even King Crimson used some of the band's Ideas.
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 22:55
I know that Akesson is a better technical guitarist than Peter, that's obvious, but his style simply does not fit Opeth. Peter still focused primarily on melody, Akesson focuses on speed.

I am just not going to be convinced he is a good fit until I hear some new material.
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 23:56
Mikael plays most of the solos. Though the solos Peter does are great, all of my favorite Opeth solos are Mikaels. From that standpoint, I am not saddened, and defintiely not as disappointed as I was when Martin left. I agree with the comment above, Peter's style was precisely what Opeth needs, and not man guitarists can provide quite what Peter does. We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. It seems like the replacements for both of the departed were a lot less tasty and more technical.
enteredwinter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 23:59
I am saddened by this news, but I don't think that this will affect the band's music much, either positively or negatively.

It really seems as though Akerfeldt is 99% responsible for writing what you hear on their albums. While Lindgren has played some nice solos, I really wonder, how many of them did he actually write? I think it's possible that Akerfeldt wrote some of them.

Maybe I'm wrong, but in any case Akerfeldt is by far the most important reason why Opeth is such a strong band, so I'm not concerned about the new album, I think it will deliver.

Metalstrm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 09:08
And btw, is there any news on any possible date of release? For the next album I mean?
www.myspace.com/anomalymalta

www.anomaly-music.com
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 11:04
I'll miss him in the band, and it comes at a particularly bad time due to them having little time to adapt to Lopez leaving. But I agree with Mike that this could certainly act as an impetus to usher in something fresh from them.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Walker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 17:29
Originally posted by lightbulb_son lightbulb_son wrote:

I know that Akesson is a better technical guitarist than Peter, that's obvious, but his style simply does not fit Opeth. Peter still focused primarily on melody, Akesson focuses on speed.

How arrogant.... don't you think that the rest of Opeth would have auditioned this new guitarist first? Of course they did! Obviously Mikael and the others feel he is right for the slot, so who are you to second guess them?

Let's see... YOU say his style doesn't fit Opeth, Mikael and the band says it does..hmm... who am I going to believe........

Edited by Walker - May 18 2007 at 17:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>