Topic ClosedPeter Lindgren leaves Opeth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 17:57
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

Originally posted by lightbulb_son lightbulb_son wrote:

I know that Akesson is a better technical guitarist than Peter, that's obvious, but his style simply does not fit Opeth. Peter still focused primarily on melody, Akesson focuses on speed.

How arrogant.... don't you think that the rest of Opeth would have auditioned this new guitarist first? Of course they did! Obviously Mikael and the others feel he is right for the slot, so who are you to second guess them?

Let's see... YOU say his style doesn't fit Opeth, Mikael and the band says it does..hmm... who am I going to believe........

You need to calm down. I know they've auditioned him, and the band obviously thinks he'll bring something great to the band, but as a fan I'm still entitled to my opinion. My love for Opeth hasn't changed one bit, I'm just concerned as to what this change means in terms of the band's musical direction.

I'm skeptical, not arrogant.

Now please, lighten up.
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Metalstrm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 18:26

I know that Akesson is a better technical guitarist than Peter, that's obvious, but his style simply does not fit Opeth. Peter still focused primarily on melody, Akesson focuses on speed.

How arrogant.... don't you think that the rest of Opeth would have auditioned this new guitarist first? Of course they did! Obviously Mikael and the others feel he is right for the slot, so who are you to second guess them?

Let's see... YOU say his style doesn't fit Opeth, Mikael and the band says it does..hmm... who am I going to believe........

+1. Please, don't count jump to conclusions yet. By the end of this year hopefulyl we'll know, but till then, it's only speculation. There was even some speculation about Per when he was chosen as a full member. Or when Opeth got a deal with RR. And after all, Ghost Reveries wasn't a sellout.
www.myspace.com/anomalymalta

www.anomaly-music.com
it was impulse View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 21:10
Cry     This almost makes me want to cry...  that guy was sooo good!!!

Edited by it was impulse - May 18 2007 at 21:11
nigel
Walker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2007 at 03:20

You need to calm down. I know they've auditioned him, and the band obviously thinks he'll bring something great to the band, but as a fan I'm still entitled to my opinion. My love for Opeth hasn't changed one bit, I'm just concerned as to what this change means in terms of the band's musical direction.

I'm skeptical, not arrogant.

Now please, lighten up.

Of course you have a right to your opinion.. I would never argue that you don't. My problem with your post is that you come off sounding like you know better than the band about what will work for them, not just voicing your "concern" over the future musical direction.

Secondly, I AM calm, and I'm light as a feather.... Tongue
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2007 at 17:42

I am just not going to be convinced he is a good fit until I hear some new material.

This is most likely because that type of playing fit the bands he came from(I'm not familar with them). I'm sure he can play in more than one style and will adapt suitably for Opeth. However, I too am always a little skeptical.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Inks View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2007 at 00:31
2 Swedish bands loose 2 members each, Pain of Salvation and Opeth. <_<
asimplemistake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2007 at 18:02
I wish the best of luck to Peter and whatever he may do. 

I will wait until I hear more from this new guy to come to conclusions, but I am sure it is for the better, although I will miss Peter (and Martin).

EliasMisael View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 15:23

First Martin López leaves Cry ok I'll try to live with that. But now watching internet news and found that one of the Best pair of guitarrists is broken is too much for me. This are really sad newsCryCryCryCry. Well together they played in 8 studio albums and 2 live releases. Praise Mikael Akerfeldt and Peter Lindgren as one of the greatest pairs of guitarrists of our times.

Good Luck to Opeth and Peter Lindgren.
"...Basic temperamental filters on our eyes
Alter our perceptions
Lenses polarize..."

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 23:02
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
this sucksOuchOuchOuchOuchOuch
damn it damn it damn it... this sucks... well, I know Mickale wont just replace Peter with just some metal guy, surely he know this... whatever he´s called is capable of keeping up with them... and change might be good... still it sucks, Peter and Mickael where sooooooo good together, talk about chemenstry
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12