FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolstice Friday Rock Show session

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solstice Friday Rock Show session
    Posted: May 18 2007 at 06:53
Anyone out there remember neoprogfolkies Solstice on Tommy Vance's Friday Rock Show, back in 83/84? It was before their first album, and comprised 3 (4?) tracks: The Sea, Peace and Find Yourself. They later rerecorded and released all these tracks on subsequent albums, but none of these over-produced versions came close to that BBC session. My question is: does any one know where I can get my hands on a copy? I loved this band right up until they released their first vinyl, which, after seeing them play a blinding set at Stonehenge Festival 1984, was just disappointing, suffering from way too much eighties style production.

Really, if you heard it let me know. I'd hate to think I imagined it allConfused.
Perception is truth, ergo opinion is fact.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 08:04
I was going to play bass for them at Stonehenge 1984, but unfortunately got very side-tracked by something - I forget what... All I remember is that every band that played there were great.

Pretty sure this is from 1984 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTQTXbxOEeA - it's remarkably long for YouTube, and I haven't watched it all yet.

...sadly, I don't remember Solstice's session - but I'm pretty sure I saw them at other free festivals - Treworgy, maybe?
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 09:10

I am actually on that video, but the quality is such that I'm unrecognisable. I'm sitting in front of the stage during the Roy Harper set, and taking a photo of the guy filming it. I still have the photo and have used it to prove to my doubting daughter that Daddy knew how to party back in the day.

I was at Treworgy in 87. No Solstice I'm afraid.

A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 11:41
I used to have a tape of the session but it disappeared at some point over the years. There was a fourth track, Cannibalise Legalis. The session was one of the best I heard on Tommy Vance's show and I wish I could track down a copy. I still have my Solstice badge somewhere...
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 14:04
Yes of course. Cannibalise Legalis. Wasn't it an acoustic blue grass type of number? loads of jiggy violin. I too had a cassette for a while, but I played it to death. They wore out so quickly. I'm really inspired now...I wonder if I E-mail the Beeb.......?Worth a try I guess.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 14:06
From the same circuit and time, does anyone remember Chocolate Teapot?

I bought a tape of them at a gig (they were supporting Here and Now), and sadly, it's lost in the mists of time.
emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 16:32
Chocolate Teapot?  No, you got me there Cert, and I was an avid H&N follower. Still am as it goes. Next gig: Eastern Haze Fest, Suffolk, July 22nd. Bring it on. These days H&N and Ozrics are swapping members willy-nilly, but that's OK in my book. When did you last see H&N? I saw them last November in the Dam and they were well on form. Recommended.
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2007 at 06:25
Originally posted by emdiar emdiar wrote:

Yes of course. Cannibalise Legalis. Wasn't it an acoustic blue grass type of number? loads of jiggy violin. I too had a cassette for a while, but I played it to death. They wore out so quickly. I'm really inspired now...I wonder if I E-mail the Beeb.......?Worth a try I guess.

Yep, that was the tune. Good luck with the Beeb!
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2007 at 13:11
Originally posted by emdiar emdiar wrote:

Chocolate Teapot?  No, you got me there Cert, and I was an avid H&N follower. Still am as it goes. Next gig: Eastern Haze Fest, Suffolk, July 22nd. Bring it on. These days H&N and Ozrics are swapping members willy-nilly, but that's OK in my book. When did you last see H&N? I saw them last November in the Dam and they were well on form. Recommended.

Last time I saw H&N was in the late 1980s - glad to know they're still on form!

The other band that I saw supporting them that really stood out was Uncle Freaky's Urban Stinkos - you don't forget a name like that in a hurry... Not as together as Chocolate Teapot, but they had an amazing synched video backdrop - which was pretty amazing in the early 1980s.
emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2007 at 12:18
DISCLAIMER: Just noticed, I unwittingly came over a bit Finbarr Saunders in my last post. That the Ozrics and H&N are "swapping members willy-nilly" is no reflection on their collective sexuality.Embarrassed
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2007 at 12:20
You don't want to come over Finbarr Saunders, Fnarr Fnarr...LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply