FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArcturus disbands

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arcturus disbands
    Posted: May 18 2007 at 14:22

The world of avant-garde metal lost one of its pioneers.  Arcturus officially announced their decision to stop activities.  Their official website is offline for now, but the following was found on Wikipedia :

On April 16th it was announced that the band would be breaking up, however, an official statement was only released on the band's website on April 17th.[1]

The official statement was written from all of the band members, confirming rumours that had been circulating after their Melbourne concert, the last one of the Australian tour, in which Simen "Vortex" Hestnęs, the band's vocalist, introduced the show to the audience with the words 'Welcome to the last Arcturus show- ever.' The statement goes on to say that the split was a 'decision we made some time ago,' and that because of ongoing 'things' in their careers and lives, the members can no longer 'find the time to continue working with this band.' The statement closes with a tribute to the fans of the band, 'We are humble and grateful to all the people that have supported and loved us over the years.' The final lines being the names of the final lineup of the band that was Arcturus. The official statement dispelled the many rumours and explained the truth.[2]

So there you have it.  Very sad.  Every Arcturus album was a gem due mainly to their originality, the high caliber of the musicians, the execution, the songwriting and experimentations.  They will be sorely missed.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 16:56
This is old news, but yes it is very sad.

Arcturus were unbelievable and I can't believe we won't be hearing more from them. Doesn't look promising though, Garm is busy with Ulver, and Vortex and Hellhammer are now with Dimmu Borgir.

At least we have the legacy of some astonishing records.
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 17:00
Originally posted by lightbulb_son lightbulb_son wrote:

Vortex and Hellhammer are now with Dimmu Borgir.

Vortex joined Dimmu on Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia, but Hellhammer is a more recent addition.  Have you heard Dimmu's latest, 'In Sorte Diaboli' ?  If so, what's it like ?  I didn't hear it yet.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 18:05
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Vortex and Hellhammer are now with Dimmu Borgir.

Vortex joined Dimmu on Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia, but Hellhammer is a more recent addition.  Have you heard Dimmu's latest, 'In Sorte Diaboli' ?  If so, what's it like ?  I didn't hear it yet.

I have heard it, and it is a solid release, but not the masterpiece everyone is claiming. The concept behind the album is a little weak, and despite Hellhammer's astounding drums (he really is in top form) and Silenoz's arrangements, the music is just lacking IMO.

If you have liked Dimmu's recent releases, then you probably can tell where the band is going and you will most likely enjoy this album. I am mainly a fan of their material previous to and including Enthrone Darkness Triumphant.

Not bad by any means, just not particularly mindblowing. I'd give it a 3.5/5
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 12:47

[QUOTE=Melomaniac][QUOTE=lightbulb_son]
If you have liked Dimmu's recent releases, then you probably can tell where the band is going and you will most likely enjoy this album. I am mainly a fan of their material previous to and including Enthrone Darkness Triumphant.

Not bad by any means, just not particularly mindblowing. I'd give it a 3.5/5

My faves from DB are Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, Spiritual Black Dimensions (My favorite!!!) and Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia, on which Nick Barker did an amazing job (also on Old Man's Child's In Defiance of Existence)...
 Post Reply Post Reply