Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis on VH1/VH1 Classic (US)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis on VH1/VH1 Classic (US)
    Posted: May 21 2007 at 12:16
I see that  VH1 Classic (in the U.S.) has some Genesis on tonight.

7:00 PM - Genesis: A History
9:00 PM - Classic Concerts: Genesis: In Concert documents the concert that Genesis embarked on in 1976, after their album A Trick of the Tail.
Grammy Award Winning Jethro Tull!
1989 Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance     
Endless Wire View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2007 at 12:20
Wow I'm gonna have to check that out.  Also Genesis is going to be honored on VH1 Rock Honors on Vh1 Classic.  I think it airs this Thursday or something like that.
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2007 at 12:28
Oh man!  Older Genesis concert footage?  Nice!
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2007 at 13:59
Well, somebody mentioned this in the other thread, let me just confirm. This thursday in VH1 Classic the Rock Honors will take place. Remember? That same awful show last year hosted by Jaime Pressley where Def Leppard, judas Priest and Kiss were honored? (The show wasn't awful because of the honorees, but because of the lack of respect and the awful cover versions by noisy, mtv-styled bands, except for one). Well, this year the honorees are: Heart (Barracuda anyone? - were they really so important? I don't know much about them), OZZY (well, there's not much to question here), ZZTOP (I dislike the band but I don't know anything) and, wonder of wonders, GENESIS!

Be sure to tune in. I don't know what weird version of Genesis we'll get (for sure the trio, but they WILL perform 95%), and I don't know how they will fit among such a hard-rock-oriented crowd, and also, and the thing that mostly worries me: who will play covers of them, what covers will there be played, and how? ConfusedConfused If someone goes on playing "Invisible Touch", that may be too "pop" for the slightly harder-edge audience of this "award" (more like a Hall of Fame thing really), I'm just puzzled as to what cover will be played (covers are mandatory...those are the actual "honors"...)

Tune in!!!! Confused
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2007 at 14:02
You dare to dis Heart and ZZ Top in the same sentence! Shocked
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2007 at 14:16
Don't the suits at VH1 know that prog rock is a big taboo?  What's gotten into them?  And isn't this yet another sign that the rapture is near at hand?  Shocked
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2007 at 14:19
Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

i don't know much about them...Embarrassed
Codis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 09:31
I only caught part of the documentary, it looked good though.  I recorded it for later.

The concert was interesting because they had Bill Bruford playing drums while Phil was doing his 'front man' thing.
Grammy Award Winning Jethro Tull!
1989 Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance     
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 09:55

About the only thing I liked about ZZ Top were the 3 hot chicks driving around in that red car. The video for "Legs" gives me the warmies.

E
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 10:26
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

i don't know much about them...Embarrassed

Heart was huge here in the 70's,and had a major impact in the 70/80's music scene.They also helped to dispel some of the bias towards women in rock and roll.As for ZZTop,I ignore their newer stuff,but their Deguello era albums are fantastic.

Edited by TheProgtologist - May 22 2007 at 10:26

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 10:41
I hope it's also on our VH1 - channel, the European one. I have to check that out. No, alas, it's not in the schedule for this week Cry . I'll have to check the schedule more often, though Shocked . You'll never know what will come...

Edited by Moogtron III - May 22 2007 at 10:45
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 11:59
I just watched the first half of the Genesis documentary and it's pretty good.  Tons of old footage with Gabriel.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 19:40
I've just seen the two hour documentary, is great. It's not so new but it covers all the way through Invisible Touch, and has a lot of footage with Gabriel and interviews and the views are prettey fair. Very good. And now my respect for Gabriel has only gone higher....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 20:35
I got around to watching the Genesis concert and I was blown away!  They played Carpet Crawlers, part of Cinema Show, the end of Supper's Ready, and Los Endos, among others.  Bill Bruford and Phil Collins on drums together is absolutely unbelievable!
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 09:57
Caught the VH1 honors show last night and I thought all the bands were respectible but who in the **** at VH1 thought it'd be a great idea to flood the live music feed with fake crowd noise from start to finish?  It was embarrassingly patronizing to say the least and extremely annoying.  Bad, bad idea.  Genesis was okay.  At least they didn't play "Invisible Touch" or "Illegal Alien."  They are really showing their age, too.  Thank God I'm not..... Wink
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 13:25
Keane wasn't as bad as I had expected in their cover, Phil should have done more on drums that was the only good part of the concert
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 13:31

They said there might be more performances on the VH1 website.  Wonder if anyone has checked that out yet.  If so, tell us what is there.  I'll get around to it myself eventually.

StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 13:34
Did you see the Genesis game?

What a crack up!
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 13:34
I saw the VH1 show, at least after Heart left the stage.... First of all, that incredible idiot Robin Williams ruined the act...While the other artists were introduced by someone who at least seemed to respect them, this guy went and did his act (I no longer know if it's his act of if he really has serious mental issues) and any chance at doing a good presentation of the LEAST known band of the four (for the crowd in attendance, Genesis was the least known) was lost amidst the usual weird voices and stupid jokes. I like Williams in movies or when the situation asks for humour, but yesterday he just blew it. Then Keane played and they did it decently. And then Genesis themselves... They did a small documentary before with shots of Peter Gabriel (almost NO mention of Hackett) and the usual "we wrote better songs after ABACAB" stuff (better radio-songs that may be)... and then they took the stage: first of all, among the more "metallic" crowd, Genesis looked kind of awkward. Their playing was good, as it always is, and Phil Collins sung extremely good, but he looked a little bit past his prime, and specially a little odd in such a "hard rock" event....For me, even though they played "No son of mine" from WCD and "Turn it on Again" from Duke, not their BEST songs (not their worst either), they still sounded better than mundane rock acts like ZZtop and Heart. of course Ozzy Osbourne stole the show, it was obvious from the beginning, and the crowd was more of an Ozzy crowd than a Genesis crowd (actually, I saw one guy singing along "No son of mine"Confused)....

Besides the Williams thing, Genesis did well in such an odd environement. I'm glad that they were not put first..Genesis deserves another venue and another kind of honors, and with TWO MORE members, by the way. But at least the hard-rock-hungry crowd was respectful and it seemed as if everyone was actually paying attention and I saw many young faces caught in surprise at seeing Phil collins singing rock (remember, many young people only know the Phil of Tarzan...believe me, I saw some really surprised faces looking at the bald man in complete amazement).....

The oddest part, though, was after Ozzy finished "Crazy train" and the show was over.... all the honorees took the stage, and among such a, let's say, diverse group of musicians (ZZtop with their long beard, heart with their almost-metallic clothing and red hair, and, well, OZZY), Collins, Banks and Rutherford looked like the grandfathers misplaced at one of their son's (or grandson's) parties... When OZZY hugged Collins, it looked incredibly..ridiculous....You could watch their faces in amazement and laughing at the "insanity" of Ozzy... It was really odd...

But they proved they can play. Poppy, non-Supper'sReady songs, but good rock nevertheless. And Collins can sing. He sat a few seconds behind a second drum set and more faces of surpirse from the young crowd....But his playing sounded stiff, so it's for the better than it lasted like...10 seconds....Long live Genesis! Though much better would it be if two additional members joined....
Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 13:56
I ssaw it too, and I have to say no matter what they played it was good to see the old men in action. Since I stumbled onto it totally by accident (I have my remote programmed to skip VH1) it was that much better.

I assume that it was Zakk Wylde playing guitar with Ozzy. For me he was the one who ruined the rest of the show. What a copmplete boob.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>