Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSirius radio (USA) week of prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sirius radio (USA) week of prog
    Posted: May 29 2007 at 14:29
Sirius satellite radio is playing a full week of non-stop progressive rock on Channel 16 "The Vault".  I'm listening to Todd Rundgren's "Utopia Theme" at the moment.  They are promoting this event heavily on other rock channels as well.  Perhaps with good listenership, they may dedicate a channel to prog?

Give it a listen, and let's see what happens!
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Endless Wire View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2007 at 17:37
Makes me wish I had Siruis but sadly I have XM instead.  Siruis even has a channel that plays The Who all day long, or at least they did I guess they still do.
lobster41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 09:23
Wire,

Doesn't XM have a prog only channel?  There are rumors that Siruis and XM are merging, and that was one reason I was hoping that they did.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Dennis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 16:45
XM Radio used to have a wonderful prog channel, I forgot the name, but they deleted it. I also deleted my service with them because of this. Please update us if Sirius gets a prog station, and I'll order their service.
"Day dawns dark, it now numbers infinity"
giantenemycrab View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2007 at 01:08
Originally posted by Dennis Dennis wrote:

Please update us if Sirius gets a prog station, and I'll order their service.

I second this.    I have been looking into their services,  but the lack of anything progressive has kept me from making the choice.  I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2007 at 14:54
The prog channel on XM was called the Music Lab and evidently it is still there but only on the internet version of XM. Apparently, some people do want to put it back. We'll see. I ordered XM but don't have it hooked up yet. There is also a program on XM called fine tuning which plays a lot of prog(I think their thing is trying to play mature sophisticated music that will cater to a slightly older crowd.
Elliot Miller View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2007 at 17:11

I've just joined this forum so I can get the word out (although it's nice to be here anyway!). I sent the following message to Sirius satellite radio today:

I am writing in response to the "Progressions" week on The Vault. THANK YOU. It has amazed me that there are satellite radio channels devoted to every conceivable taste, including all-Elvis and all-Sinatra all the time, and yet there is no channel devoted to all progressive rock all the time. Prog was the dominant force in rock in the '70s and still has a large following, which is evident if you surf the many prog Web sites or attend concerts by The Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, or Yes. Your nightly hour-long show Progressions has been a welcome step in the right direction, and the past four days of nonstop prog have been wonderful. I am letting people on prog fan sites know about it and they are very interested. Word gets around quickly in the prog world. Please consider taking the next step and launching a channel exclusively devoted to prog. That way non-prog fans won't be irritated by all the prog on The Vault and you will draw in a whole new constituency! It only makes sense, considering you have channels devoted to so many, often smaller, niches already. Thanks again!

Within 20 minutes I got this reply from Sirius:

Dear Elliot,

Thank you for contacting SIRIUS regarding the addition of an all-Progressive Rock channel. Your comments and suggestions are important to us!

We are happy to learn that you enjoyed the progressive rock programming on The Vault Ch. 16 this week, Elliot. We have actually been getting a lot of positive feedback regarding this trial period, which means that there is a possibility that progressive rock may in fact receive its own channel. We will certainly forward your email to our Programming Department for further review. Thanks for contacting SIRIUS, Elliot!

OK fellow prog fans, this might be our opportunity to get high-quality digital satellite progressive rock programming beamed down to us 24/7. They have been playing "deep cuts" from both the well-known and obscure prog bands, including ELP, King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Camel, En Sof, and even the solo work of Patrick Moraz and Steve Hackett. Whoever is selecting the music knows prog. This is commercial free and in the past week featured interviews with Jon Anderson and Carl Palmer.

You can make a difference! If you subscribe to Sirius (you might get it through your DISH TV subscription), please send them an e-mail commending them for their nightly "Progressions" hour (11:00 PM Eastern Time) and for the past week of nonstop "Progressions" programming, and encouraging them to expand such programming. If you do not subsribe but would be willing to do so if they added a 24-hour prog channel, please tell them so ( click on the nonsubscriber button). The appropriate page on the Sirius Web site to send them an e-mail is http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=FlexContent&cid=1112908249913. The page for The Vault channel 16 is http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=Channel&cid=1104779639597.

Thanks!

Elliot Miller

Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2007 at 23:09
I saw a similar post on Progressiveears. I sent them an email also. It seems that they are going to wait and see how many responses they get but it does appear that they want to have an all prog channel as long as they are convinced that the support and listeners are there. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2007 at 23:14
I am not a Sirius subscriber (and probably won't be, but that's another issue), but I did send an email nonetheless, as I do think it's good to have such a source to play great music. I hope they do have a channel just for prog.
I also think it's important to support other radio shows that promote and play prog (even though I don't like radio and prefer to decide myself what to listen to) and there are several options online for prog fans to do so, aside from Sirius.
One of the major advantages of such radio stations/shows to me is the possibility to discover new bands and so, another reason to support and promote such stations/shows.

Edited by avestin - June 01 2007 at 23:30
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2007 at 23:19
Hopefully XM will follow suit and bring back Music Lab to the non-internet radio.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Post Reply Post Reply