Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zu
    Posted: May 30 2007 at 22:39
Are you a Zu fan? I am. I all for the oddness.
Monte Zu is one of my favorite songs.
Does anyone else have a taste for Zu or know of any others that i might not know of?

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 22:47
Yes, and they have been approved to be added to PA.
Maybe you're interested in writing a bio? You'll get full credit, of course.
You do mean the Italian Zu that released Rai Sunawachi Koe Wo Hassu, right?

fungusucantkill View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 22:49
yes i ment the Italian Zu
Indeed they should have one
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 22:52
One Question though.
How do I add them and give a Bio?
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 22:55
Originally posted by fungusucantkill fungusucantkill wrote:

One Question though.
How do I add them and give a Bio?

PM me the bio you write with your name (real or forum name, however you wish) and I'll take care of the rest. (Your name will appear right after the bio).
We can then add their discography.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 23:13
For those interested in knowing more, check out the two links posted above:

Their bio from Myspace:

Zu www.zuism.com *********************************** Hailing from Italy, Zu has gained a solid reputation worldwide thanks to a hectic , never endinng schedule that had them playing around this globe more than 700 times in the last 6 years.*********************************** With little or none media support and coverage , given their status of not-catagorizable punk-freejazz-headbangers-sunrafreaks, even coming from the catholic block of Rome, Italy, Zu has nevertheless been able to give birth to 10 cd ,a few singles and several compilations on various great labels , as Atavistic, Red Note, Frenetic, Wide ... *********************************** Zu defies genres, destroys boundaries and categories about what a rock or jazz combo is and how it behaves. No-wave, funk , hardcore-punk, jazz , and mathematics held together in an instrumental 3-piece. Zu plays equally in rock, jazz, and contemporary music festivals worldwide: Korea , Japan , Usa , Russia, Europe, Africa. *********************************** Open to adventure and risk, curious , musically insatiable, Zu meets new partners along the way and has been on stage or in studio collaborating with the likes of: Mike Patton, The Melvins, The Ex, Dalek, Peter Brotzmann, Hamid Drake, Alvin Curran, Ken Vandermark, Mats Gustafsson, Amy Denio, Damo Suzuki, Eugene Chadbourne, Paal Nilssen-Love, Dj Olive , Han Bennink, Okapi, Fred Lonberg- Holm, Han Bennink, Mary Oliver, Walter Wierbos (ICP Orkest) , etc ...*********************************** Zu shared tours and stages with: The Melvins, Fantomas, Lightning Bolt, The Ex, The Ruins, Dalek, Nomeansno, Vandermark 5, Karate, and many many more ...*********************************** 2 cds recorded by Steve Albini (Igneo) and Bob Weston ( Radiale, on Atavistic)*********************************** *********************************** *********************************** *********************************** Other points: *********************************** A collaboration with hip-hop band Dalek is recorded and will be released someday.*********************************** Massimo Zu also teamed for one year with dutch legends The Ex and plays with "Original Silence" with Thurston Moore, Jim O' Rourke, Mats Gustaffson, Terrie Ex, Paal Nilssen-Love . He 's playing in trios with Joe Lally (Fugazi), with DJ Olive & William Hooker, with Peter Brotzmann & Paal Nilssen-Love, and some more. *********************************** Luca Mai played live with Nomeansno, Dalek, with the american band Karate (appearing on their live album) . He has a duo with Mats Gustafsson. *********************************** Jacopo Battaglia is also active as a movie soundtrack composer. *********************************** *********************************** *********************************** *********************************** Discography: *********************************** Bromio ( Wide / Southern records 1999 ) *********************************** The Zu Side Of The Chadbourne ( Felmay - New Tone 2000) , with Eugene Chadbourne. *********************************** Motorhellington ( Felmay - New Tone 2001) , with Eugene Chadbourne. *********************************** Igneo Red Note (Holland) , Amanita (France) , Wide (Italy), Wallace records ( vinyl 220 gg ) 2002 - Frenetic records USA 2005 *********************************** Live In Hellsinki 2003 cd , Tang Plastik - Goodfellas *********************************** Radiale 2004 cd , Atavistic / Touch and Go ( with Spaceways Inc : Ken Vandermark, Hamid Drake, Nate Mc Bride) *********************************** The Way of The Animals Power -Xeng 2005 ( distr. Hausmusik / Forced Exposure )*********************************** How To raise An Ox - (with Mats Gustafsson ) Atavistic- Touch & Go 2005. *********************************** Zu v/s Dalek – 7” split Wallacerecords 2005, minicd 3" with videoclip, Xeng 2006*********************************** Rai Sunawachi Koe Wo Hassu CD Macaroni Records 2006 (Japanese only - limited edition of 500 ) *********************************** Zu/ Ice Burn - 10 " split - Wallace records / Phonometak 2006 ( 500 copies ltd ed. ) *********************************** Identification With The Enemy - A Key To The Underworld ( with Nobukazu Takemura ) out on Atavistic records, february 2007

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 23:15
Great band

I have only heard Rai Sunawachi Koe Wo Hassu, been sometime since I have listened it. Will definately put it on sometime today to refresh the memory. iirc it had a japanese avant-prog feel about it, loved the noisey free-jazz. I was just looking then, they have many more albums than I expected... any recommendations of which album to try next?

Looking forward to seeing them on the site
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 23:36
from what i hear How To Raise an Ox is very good but i do enjoy earlier Zu like their first album Bromio. Ah that Zu. Also listen up for Yolk, Dudu Geva, Molehill, le club de chats, and you've probably heard of Captain Beefheart. Good stuff man.
MusicForSpeedin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 23:55
Yolk needs to get approved

but Zu is amazing also
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2007 at 01:24
Whats the best album to get first?
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2007 at 10:35
Originally posted by MusicForSpeedin MusicForSpeedin wrote:

Yolk needs to get approved

but Zu is amazing also

Yolk is approved. All it needs is a bio and that's it. But someone's own words, not copied (and if it is copied than we need a written permission).

Post Reply Post Reply