Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRick Wakeman in Lanaudière, Québec,August

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rick Wakeman in Lanaudière, Québec,August
    Posted: June 02 2007 at 12:35
Again, Rick Wakeman will come back to play for us in La Belle Province. This time, he will play in  The Lanaudière Region, in Joliette, on the 18 of august, at 8 h 30..  It's an outside amphitheatre. By chance, I already bought my tickets for this event. We will be in the 8 th row in the center.

Mr. Wakeman will be there with his band. He will play for us several of his big success, like Six Wives.. Journey to the Center of the Earth, and also some of Yes best pieces.

It's been 33 years that I want to see this guy.  In 1974, if I remember correctly, he came to the Montreal forum. I did not went. After that, I saw him playing with Yes. Last year he came in Quebec during the music Festival. We did not go. Now, it's our chance to see this music icon.

We will bring my daughter Myriam ( 12 years old) to see this  show. She thinks that she won't like it. Anyway, I told her that it's a get out for the whole family.

So, on the 18 th of august, seeing Rick Wakeman live; a great summer night .

Edited by Prog.Sylvie - June 02 2007 at 12:36
C'est la vie
Walker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2007 at 18:46
I thought he said last year that he wasn't going to do anymore solo shows after all the flak he got for playing in Cuba. Has he had achange of heart?

Prog.Sylvie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2007 at 22:35
I know that in Quebec City last year, he had a huge success...
C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2007 at 22:36
Maybe he won't go anymore in United States, who knows ?
C'est la vie
one hand clap View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 00:29
I saw him at the Quebec music festival and it was incredible!! I got a DVD signed by both him and jon anderson!!  It was, without a doubt, the greatest concert experience i have ever, and possibly will ever, have!! I hope I can make it out to this show!!
one hand clap View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 00:30
when he said he wasn't doing anymore solo shows he meant shows where it's just him and a piano.  He's still doing shows with his band.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 00:41
I was just jealous last year while I could not go to Québec City to see this great show.

You are very luck One Hand Clap.

C'est la vie
Brault View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 00:33
les habitants de joliette sont chanceux!! penses-tu qu'il reste encore des billets? je ne voudrais pas manqer un tel spéctacle, meme si joliette c'est loin de la rive sud!   
David
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 09:36
I am sure that they are still tikcets. Just call to the Centre Culturel de Joliette. For me, I called them at 12 h 15 on saturday.
C'est la vie
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 15:52
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

I thought he said last year that he wasn't going to do anymore solo shows after all the flak he got for playing in Cuba. Has he had achange of heart?

Maybe he needs the money. He collects Rolls Royces you know. My cousin in England saw him with Gordon Giltrap a few years back and said it was phenomenal. He seems to have the same lineup as on the Out There album for this one. Phenomenal musicians. The bass player, Lee Pomery, is really  " out there "Cool.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - June 07 2007 at 16:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 16:52
I just wanted to get this thread back to the top in case prog.sylvie has forgotten that she has to be at the Rick Wakeman concert on the 15th August. 

Edited by Vibrationbaby - July 13 2007 at 16:55
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 17:30
At least , some of us attend some prog.shows during the year...

Edited by Prog.Sylvie - July 13 2007 at 17:31
C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 18:37

I`m sure that this will be full of hippie crap as well, in addition to all the overpriced merchandise, junk food and pony rides. 

Edited by Vibrationbaby - July 13 2007 at 18:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 20:18
Joliette is a nice place to have a nice meal in a good restaurant.  We don't have to buy any merchandise, or to do a pony ride.

Like I told you before, if you are too poor, stay at home, but it's not the case for me.Wink
C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2007 at 10:40
Unfortunately, as you can see from the picture I have to save my pennies for jet fuel.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 18:08
This actually looks like it`s going to be a great show with the English Rock Ensemble playing all kinds of stuff including Yes music according to Wakeman`s website. I also read an article in Record Collector magazine where he mentions the fact that he doesn`t do tours anymore. He`s only doing the three back to back  shows Rimouski, Launaudiere and Toronto as a mini one off thing. Probably the last time to see him in Canada.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 10:17
Originally posted by Prog.Sylvie Prog.Sylvie wrote:

At least , some of us attend some prog.shows during the year...
Well, since I`ll be flying my airplane this weekend and can`t really make it I expect that Prog.Sylvie will be providing us all with a complete report of all the "festiveness". Maybe I`ll fly over and perform  a few victory rolls just to add to all the fun in though.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - August 17 2007 at 10:19
SandraB View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 09:11
Hey! I was there! In Lanaudière. What a great show! Thumbs%20Up Awesome! Wakeman is so amazing! Once again, unforgettable! Clap Like last summer, in Québec city (where I come from and live, by the way). Ok, it was different, less visual. But I went to Joliette to hear and see! It was just amazing to see the elegance and dignity of  Wakeman, with Fernández and Holt, associated with ardent energy of younger members of the group Pomeroy and Colquhoun, resulting in an intense and exciting experience for us!

A great show!

Sandra
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 11:31
It was a very nice show to attend this week end in Lanaudière. Rick was very nice, relaxed and in great shape. His guitarist was amazing, and also the bassist. It was a nice evening in a very nice environment. Rick liked very much this place. Rick have a real sens of humour an he showed it to us. Glad that we saw that show.

Sometimes it was intense, like when they played Catherine Parr or StarShip Trooper, sometimes it was more rock with his guitarist and his bassist ( à la funk), and sometimes it was more new age. Rick amazed us playing his 14 keyboards.  

The end was amazing with the choral behind.

Everybody who was there that night got it for their money.

C'est la vie
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2007 at 10:47
I was on vacation in Toronto that weekend, so I took in Rick Wakeman's show there.  It was just his band.  There was no chorus.  Musically it was a very good show.  Although they ended with Starship Trooper and his singer sounded horrible.  He reminded me a little of the John Belushi parody of Joe Cocker on Saturday Night Live.

According to the website, the show was supposed to start at 7:00, so my friend and I arrived there at about 6:20.  Being unfamilar with the area, we weren't sure how much time it was going to take to get there and find parking, etc.  When we got there we found out that the show didn't actually start until 8:00 and that the doors opened at 7:00.  While we were waiting in the area for the doors to open, Rick Wakeman showed up and walked in through the doors that we were waiting for, so we got to say hi to him.  That was pretty cool.  After the concert he had an autograph session, so I was able to get his autograph and shake his hand and get my picture taken with him.  That was quite a thrill for me.  All and all it was a great show and a great experience.  I have been a Yes fan for 20+ years now and I have seen Yes in concert about 10 times, but this is the first chance I have had to see one of the guys perform their solo material.  I don't think that they make it to Michigan very often, and when they do, unfortunately it is not very well publicized. 
 Post Reply Post Reply