FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Jimmy Chamberlin Complex

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Jimmy Chamberlin Complex
    Posted: February 24 2005 at 11:39

Sorry if this has been discussed already - I've been away in Canada for a few weeks (what an amazing place!!! The first bar I walked into in Ottawa was playing 'From The Beginning' by ELP...)

Anyway, to the subject.  For those who dont know, Jimmy Chamberlin was the highly acclaimed drummer of the Smashing Pumpkins who disbanded a couple of years ago so Billy Corgan could form Zwan (also with Chamberlin).  Corgan being Corgan (he makes Fripp look like a Team Morale-building Coach), he soon ditched the idea, and went off to write poetry.  Chamberlin being a supremely talented musician, set up his own project - discussed herewith.

The Jimmy Chamberlin Complex recently brought out 'Life Begins Again' - a stunning debut album, with all the ingredients craved by prog die-hards.  Jumping time signatures, complex musicianship (with some mesmerising drumming of course), and most importantly, some cracking songs.  Corgan had to appear on one of the songs of course, but the remainder are sweetly original and moody, like Canterbury on Valium. 

Anyway, thought I'd throw it out there for anyone in search of something new and different...no rants and polls to get it included in the archive...!! 

"Now all the seasons run together, and the middle days are gone..."
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 15:56
 Cool, thanks. I've always liked his drumming (anybody who doesn't should listen to "Silverf**k" or "Geek USA" or "Soma"). James Iha's solo stuff is cool too, in a early-70s country-rock vein.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 17:36
I like Chamberlain's drumming too. And I was lucky enough to see him play live with his bandmates in Smashing Pumpkins, a performance that alternated between soft and heavy tunes, very stunning musicianship. He also played on a Tori Amos live.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Wrath_of_Ninian View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 04:48

Yes, I saw the penultimate (as far as I know!) Pumpkins gig in Glasgow a couple of years back, and despite the SECC 'Air Craft Hanger' sound, they were amazing.  Started playing ambient gentle material, all dressed in angelic white, and then changed into black for the heavier material.  Highlight of the night was Chamberlin's drum solo which was the best drum solo I've ever seen (and I play the drums). He made it look effortless, and more importantly it was actually listenable,and developed like a piece of music - not like the often tiresome rudimentary work-outs I've heard by some of our more cherished prog drummers (no names...!)

Didn't know he played with Tori Amos, but it doesn't surprise me, as though his most well-known association is with the Pumpkins, his new album shows he has a pretty eclectic musical heritage. 

And you're right James, his drumming on Siamese Dream is just utterly phenomenal, and was a huge component in the appeal of the album, driving the music from the start.  I dont want to start an argument here, but I always think American drummers are a just a bit better than our UK sticksters, even though many owe debts to Bonham, Bruford etc.  Something about the attack of the kit and fluidity of the rhythm - as epitomised by Chamberlin.  I have seldom come across an American band with a crap drummer!

"Now all the seasons run together, and the middle days are gone..."
 Post Reply Post Reply