Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMoonsorrow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moonsorrow
    Posted: June 03 2007 at 19:38
I have recently purchased Moonsorrow's  latest album - Viides Luku: Havitetty. I have heard some of their earlier output and while it was good viking/folk metal music, there was nothing that was particularly progressive about them.
But with the release of their new album i think that they could quite easily fit in the prog metal section on this site. With the long songs(25min and 30min), the symphonic and atmospheric elements, the huge range of instruments, the classical-like song structure with repetition of themes in order to build up an atmosphere, and of course the 6min pink floyd-esque introduction to the first track, i would probably say that they are a progressive symphonic black metal band. Kind of like Borknagar i suppose, but with less 70's prog and more classical.
This band is incredible and i think they would appeal to fans of Borknagar, Opeth,  Agalloch, and really any progressive extreme or power metal.
Is there anybody out there who agrees?
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 02:01
they sound very interesting, found the website but can you send up some music samples?

Prog Archives Tour Van
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 17:23
With average 30+ minute songs, samples are hard to come by and don't really represent the music overall.  Still, I was very impressed by their most recent record
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 17:28
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

they sound very interesting, found the website but can you send up some music samples?

If you want it to send it to the prog metal team, that's ok, I'll take care of it (I have all their albums). The last one does indeed venture into progressive "realms". I like it a lot. Their previous ones were "proggish" and a lot of fun, presenting a fine "viking metal" as its called in the metal "circles". I even got my wife to love them (our favourite is Voimasta Ja Kuniasta).

Edited by avestin - June 07 2007 at 17:31
THE_POLE View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2007 at 08:34
yea, i looked all over the net for samples when i first heard of them. In the end i had to buy Havitetty and Voimasta Ja Kuniasta to hear them.
I would personally say that they didn't do anything particularly proggy  until Verisakeet. Their earlier stuff sounds more like  a cross between sonata arctica and bathory. They've since almost completly abandoned their power-metallish influences and taken on a darker more atmospheric style.
They may not have enough proggy material yet in order for them to be classified as a fully progressive band, they are in my opinion at least prog-related and im sure if they carry on in their current direction, we can expect some very fine progressive metal from them in the future

Edited by THE_POLE - June 08 2007 at 08:37
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2007 at 08:38
^^^
I think we agree.
This weekend I'll let the prog metal team have a taste (if they haven't already) and see what they think.

Post Reply Post Reply