Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Beatles, superficial or fantastic ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 10:04
"Probably because Bob Dylan is so much better than them"
i hope it's a joke, especially for a prog's fan
The beatles are at the genesis of progressive music
bands like PF are followers of the beatles works.
They are among the first to experiment acid, to include oriental instruments in western music and to add classical/orchestral influences to rock music.
Thay have influenced many prog bands.
Listen to "Number9" and the double white album.
that's pure experimental.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 10:19
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Aqualung28 wrote:

Quote The Beatles are excellent.  Without them we wouldn't have anything, even Metal (Helter Skelter, before someone says otherwise)

I always heard this and I can't deny they were influencial, but I believe this is not necesarilly true.

If The Beatles never would have existed, somebody else would have taken their place, another band would have influenced the rest or maybe many bands would have replaced that influence, but music had to evolve and Rock was the most explosive force of music even before them.

Maybe the evolution would have been different, faster or slower, but rock had to change and grow with or without The Beatles, nobody could stop it.

Iván

We should limit this thread to popular/rock music and leave out the jazz and classical realms out of this context. I am not so sure that if the Beatles (from Rubber Soul on) had not been there, the other bands (be they Beach Boys or Stones or Yardbirds) would've managed to make things advance/evolve the same way, if at all. The fact that my parents and grandparents (and not only mine) spoke highly of the Beatles as artists "even though they looked like dirty hippies" proves to me that only them could be accepted widely even by much older people. My grandfather was a conservative judge (the other an engineer) but could see the evolution of their music and personna. Only the Beatles aura could manage that. Never could've the Stones or B Boys even come close to that.

The only other figure who are as Historically Musically Important (in "pop"terms) is Dylan ( he propmpted the Byrds and the whole folk and country rock thing) but stopped IMHO being relevant in the mid-70's and is almost redundant now (thanks to a much tooooo long career). The Beatles were lucky enough to stop when they did because they would've soon or later made mistakes or redundant stuff and a longer career would've eroded that aura.

Hendrix is another genius but he picked up from both as well as Motown.

Captain Fudge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 11:01

The Stones weren't as complexe, but more energetic on stage. Lennon could have been a Dylan-like figure from the very start, and could've had worked with Cohen or Joplin.

That would've been sweet - figure it out for yourself

Teenage sucks hard -- Emo sucks even harder
Epic. Simply epic.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 11:04

If I learned something during my life is that evolution or change is a process that can’t be stopped, determined persons are only the trigger that fire the change, but evolution is going to happen anyway.

Probably without The Beatles this change would have been different but musicians were already developing new tendencies. The feeling of musical rebellion against adults was there in the youth of the 60’s there’s no way anybody could have stopped them.

The Beatles were so exclusive that no other band had the chance or the need to develop but without them somebody had to take their place, other musicians would have been forced to take more risks and dare to impulse that change.

History is made by people but everything is a process, WWI would have been declared even if Archduke Francisco would not have been killed in Sarajevo, the nationalist and anti Semitic feeling in Germany would had caused a WWII even without Hitler, of course the development would had been different, but the feeling was there, at it would have exploded anyway.

I believe The Beatles are influential because they were there and did it, but nobody can stop the change, somebody would have taken their place.

As someone said this is speculative, but it’s also speculative to affirm that rock wouldn’t change without them.

Iván

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 11:14
Robert Graves once said something like, 'Shakespeare is actually a very good poet, despite everybody saying he is'. The Beatles are actually a very good group despite their popularity. Abbey Road contains sequenced tracks, extended tracks, synthesizer, harmonies, English accents, strong lyrics and continuously innovative drumming. It's one of my favourite albums. Shame it was their last, because it points to a promising future which they never enjoyed. 
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 11:23

Up to 'Help' - a boy band

After 'Help' - pure genius - they wrote the book, everyone else just read it.

you cannot overestimate the Beatles contribution to popular music of all stripes

Rob The Plant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 11:35
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

If I learned something during my life is that evolution or change is a process that can’t be stopped, determined persons are only the trigger that fire the change, but evolution is going to happen anyway.

Probably without The Beatles this change would have been different but musicians were already developing new tendencies. The feeling of musical rebellion against adults was there in the youth of the 60’s there’s no way anybody could have stopped them.

The Beatles were so exclusive that no other band had the chance or the need to develop but without them somebody had to take their place, other musicians would have been forced to take more risks and dare to impulse that change.

History is made by people but everything is a process, WWI would have been declared even if Archduke Francisco would not have been killed in Sarajevo, the nationalist and anti Semitic feeling in Germany would had caused a WWII even without Hitler, of course the development would had been different, but the feeling was there, at it would have exploded anyway.

I believe The Beatles are influential because they were there and did it, but nobody can stop the change, somebody would have taken their place.

As someone said this is speculative, but it’s also speculative to affirm that rock wouldn’t change without them.

Iván

Can't argue your point Ivan, the Beatles were the catalyst which began a change, but not the only musical evolution, look to Elvis for example, a huge influence for many Blues Rockers such as Zeppelin! I love when I get to mention Zeppelin.

But as I said, Dylan influenced the Beatles best work, so is Dylan not equally important?

Edited by Rob The Plant
Collaborators will take your soul.
mirco View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 11:38
And is also true to say that Beatles where influenced too by the first rithms & blues  artists, as well as  by their trip to the east.
Please forgive me for my crappy english!
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 11:40
You can argue that the Beatles were the right band at the right time. Short of the Beach Boys, I'm not sure there were any other acts with the breadth of vison that they posessed.

It also helped that George Martin was there to realise a lot of the new ideas and directions they were heading towards.

A wonderful band that were nearly as brilliant as ELO.
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 14:32

Ivan, think on this.

The Beatles directly led to Ringo Starr's movie and solo music career.

Genesis led directly to Phil Collins' movie and solo music career.

In terms of drummers going solo, the Fabs win hands down.

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 15:29

Jaap:

Actually, if Piper was PF's first album, and it was influenced by Pepper (by their own admission), how can you talk about things PF did before Pepper?  Unless you are talking about live stuff, or studio demos.  But then, as noted, The Beatles had already started on the proto-prog road with stuff on Revolver.  And one could (if they tried really hard) make that case that even a track or two on Rubber Soul is proto-prog, thus bringing us back to late 65 early 66.

As for Zappa, he was working on an entirely different set of influences, including avant-garde jazz and neo-neo-classical (Varese, Stockhausen et al).  Sure, he was listening to The Beatles and other, too, but that was only a part of a much larger "world" of music for him.

Cert:

Thank you for your riposte to ivan.  You took the words right out of my mouth (hey, that sounds like a great title for a song! ).  To argue that if The Beatles hadn't been the right group at the right time, somebody else would have been is absurdist in the extreme.  It can neither be proven nor disproven - but I would side against ivan on this point.  (Ivan - no offense here...) As the saying goes: "If the king had wheels, he'd be a wagon."  And...?

As for Dylan, he was important and influential in a completely different way than The Beatles.  He was, from the get-go, overtly socio-political (The Beatles didn't get to that point until late in the game), and he was a folk and "protest" song writer, not a rock musician (until much later).  Did he influence The Beatles?  Perhaps.  Indeed, Lennon credits Dylan with influencing his song Norwegian Wood.  (As an aside, some might even argue that NW is one of The Beatles' earliest "proto-prog" songs - use of non-standard instruments (sitar, flute), non-standard composition, etc.  Does this mean we can go truly absurdist and say that Dylan helped influence the creation of "prog" as well?  Boy, is that a slippery slope...)

If Dylan influenced The Beatles, it was (and I'm not being facetious) in introducing them to marijuana.  no one could argue that The Beatles' didn't change after that point.  But Dylan influencing The Beatles musically?  Not in my understanding of music, or music history.

Peace.

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 15:39

I hate the Beatles.Utter drivel to my ears.

However they were incredibly influencial and as Cert says, you can't just presume that rock music would have evolved the same way without them.For that we owe them our gratitude and respect.Clap

Edited by Reed Lover

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 15:47

Maani wrote:

Quote To argue that if The Beatles hadn't been the right group at the right time, somebody else would have been is absurdist in the extreme.  It can neither be proven nor disproven - but I would side against ivan on this point.  (Ivan - no offense here...) As the saying goes: "If the king had wheels, he'd be a wagon."  And...?

No offense taken.

Why absurd Maani? it's a theory, but comming from a man like you who believes in God (As I do), it's hard to believe in a phrase like "It can neither be proven nor disproven."

I believe history and evolution can't be stopped (maybe delayed), things will happen despite the individuals, if society is ready for a change it will take place.

The anti Vietnam movement of the late 60's was a big impulse for psychedelia and rock in general as a way to protest, and even if the Beatles never existed, this movement would have taken place and they would created a musical genre to express what they believed in.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Cancion del sur View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 15:52
magical mystery tour, great album
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 15:54

Reed Lover wrote:

Quote However they were incredibly influencial and as Cert says, you can't just presume that rock music would have evolved the same way without them.

Never said IN THE SAME WAY Reed, probably the evolution would have been slower, probably rock would have turned more closer to  Blues or Jazz and maybe it would have been closer hard rock, because The Beatles and their popularity and their softer earlier tunes worked as a brake for harder forms of rock.

But sooner of later, rock would have evolved, that's afact, no man can stop evolution.

Iván

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 16:11

In the book:

Rocking the Classics: English Progressive Rock and the Counterculture
by Edward L. Macan

the author is under the opinion that sociological aspects of the early progressive movements including the early age influence of the musicians in England were to develop the R&B or Rock and Roll backbeat out of the United States with the harmonies of Classical music and Hymns from the Anglican Church.  In his opinion the Beatles were the first to do that.  That is why Pink Floyd, The Moody Blues and Genesis, among many otheres, claim the Beatles as a major influence. This is a great read and really allows some great theories as to why prog music started and why it happened in the particular areas it did to unfold.  I think it may even be the best theory.

Also, he points out what areas of The United States did it become popular in and why.  I have had my own theories on American Progressive rock in the 70's for some time and this book along with some recently discovered recordings are putting a theory that prog rock, while starting a little later than the Brits, was alive in the United States by probably hundreds of bands in local areas of the country that were heavily influenced by English Progressive Rock. This is contrary to the notion that prog rock did not develop in the United States or was not as accepted. 

(It really came down to where you lived in the US.  I know in my area of the country in a relatively small county there were 4 local prog bands that dominated the music scene. I know of one concert where all four played at that drew 4-5000 people. None of which had a record out. I know for a fact that the Beatles were a major influence of all of these musicians)  

That most of these bands never saw the light of  day was more from the record companies contracting into 6 major labels and their incessant need to label something to be able to channel it into format limited radio stations killing diversity in music even among the individual bands own songs.

Edited by Garion81

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Dragon Phoenix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 16:35
Quote superficial or fantastic

Neither. Great band, but not in my top10. Would definitely make my top100 though.
Jaap View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 17:46
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Jaap:

Actually, if Piper was PF's first album, and it was influenced by Pepper (by their own admission), how can you talk about things PF did before Pepper?  Unless you are talking about live stuff, or studio demos.  But then, as noted, The Beatles had already started on the proto-prog road with stuff on Revolver.  And one could (if they tried really hard) make that case that even a track or two on Rubber Soul is proto-prog, thus bringing us back to late 65 early 66.

As for Zappa, he was working on an entirely different set of influences, including avant-garde jazz and neo-neo-classical (Varese, Stockhausen et al).  Sure, he was listening to The Beatles and other, too, but that was only a part of a much larger "world" of music for him.

I never said that Pink Floyd was'nt inspired by the Beatles, (they were the most influential band in pop-music and in addition they're my all-time favo's) I just said Sgt.Pepper was the figurehead of progressive rock from the 1960's and the whole thing they did before (like Revolver) was the biggest inspiration to prog artists and bands from around 1967. I'll never play down the influence of Sgt.Pepper - it was and still is a brilliant album - but some people seemed to think it came out from nowhere and suddenly introduced progressive rock, in my opinion the album was a peak in the Beatles' career (and music history) which was based on the developments they made before. The "proto-prog" road they were driving during the Revolver and Rubber Soul years were a part of that development towards Sgt.Pepper.  

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 17:54
Originally posted by Jaap Jaap wrote:

[QUOTE=maani]

Jaap:

I never said that Pink Floyd was'nt inspired by the Beatles, (they were the most influential band in pop-music and in addition they're my all-time favo's) I just said Sgt.Pepper was the figurehead of progressive rock from the 1960's and the whole thing they did before (like Revolver) was the biggest inspiration to prog artists and bands from around 1967. I'll never play down the influence of Sgt.Pepper - it was and still is a brilliant album - but some people seemed to think it came out from nowhere and suddenly introduced progressive rock, in my opinion the album was a peak in the Beatles' career (and music history) which was based on the developments they made before. The "proto-prog" road they were driving during the Revolver and Rubber Soul years were a part of that development towards Sgt.Pepper.  

Jaap,

Check out my note on Macon's book.  That is his theory about the Beatle's.  They mixed rock and roll with classical and hymm like harmonies. Good read. you should buy it.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 20:02

Among other things, they started the tradition of sprawling, self-indulgent double albums.

Seriously, though, the Beatles are classic like Elvis is classic. Nobody else captured the attention of the world and propelled the "cause of rock and roll" like they did. If they hadn't happened, would someone else have taken their place? Really hard to say...it doesn't seem like they had close competition during the height of their popularity. I don't think anybody else was as well placed to convince the world to take rock music a little more seriously.

I agree with Ivan- the times were more important than the specific people, but on the other hand it was the specific people who made history after all. The Beatles were more right for more people than anybody else at the time, due to all the elements coming together. George Martin and Brian Epstein had a lot to do with that, giving the band a master of studio experimentation on one side and a talented and obsessed promoter and manager on the other.

Honestly, I don't listen to them much. But I don't really need to; most of their songs are burned into my brain. That's pretty fantastic all by itself. If they were truly superficial the music would be mostly forgotten by now.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>