Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest sound quality of a 70s prog album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 05:18
I have a cd copy from the 70's Fragile LP. Aside from the LP crackle, I don't hear a difference between new cd's and this one in terms of sound quality.  So this one gets my vote.
Epic.
Zero the hero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 07:02

All depend what the listerner defines as best sound quality.Everyone has a different hear & a way they judge whats good & bad...Some may think CD with it'd dreadful bright in yer face quality to be the dogs bollox & others may find that Analogue playback (Record/Tape) to be correct.I personally think you can never beat the sound of record,so called crackles & pops are a thing created by poor mis-use & poor playback equipment which just highlights the problem.However whatever medium you choose to listern to it's your choice,but as a vinyl man i will always choose EMI recording as the best to me ie:Early ish Pink floyd,late beatles,most recording on Harvest records etc.

akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 09:26

The best production, in my opinion

Beatles - Abbey Road

The production is fantastic. I´ve heard lots of albums from 69, and I´ve never heard any other album that came close to Abbey Road.

Yams View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 09:45
Originally posted by 70sSoundquality 70sSoundquality wrote:

Saying it could be the worst "since it was produced at their newly built Britannia Row studios" is like saying Relayer is the worst Yes album, since it was only recorded in Chris Squire's garage. The gear is good, regardless of how immature the studio is. They had money for the best equipment, and the best engineers. Animals is clearly a winner...maybe note as spacey as dark side, but FAR superior in fidelity and noise floor.

Maybe so. I'd just like to point out, though, that the studio had inferior recording equipment compared to that of Abbey Road.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 10:13
Originally posted by Jethro Fish Jethro Fish wrote:

PINK FLOYD - "DARK SIDE OF THE MOON"

This is a great quality recording.

The Owl View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 10:16

Just for sheer crisp clarity and good mixing:

Brand X - Moroccan Roll (w/ Dennis McKay at the controls)

Gong - Gazeuse   Again, with good 'ol Dennis McKay!

People are puzzled why I don't dig the Stones, well, I listened to the Stones, I tried, and I tried, and I tried, and--I Can't Get No Satisfaction!

www.myspace.com/theowlsmusic
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 17:30

Originally posted by Yams Yams wrote:

Saying it could be the worst "since it was produced at their newly built Britannia Row studios" is like saying Relayer is the worst Yes album, since it was only recorded in Chris Squire's garage. The gear is good, regardless of how immature the studio is. They had money for the best equipment, and the best engineers. Animals is clearly a winner...maybe note as spacey as dark side, but FAR superior in fidelity and noise floor.

Maybe so. I'd just like to point out, though, that the studio had inferior recording equipment compared to that of Abbey Road.

Abbey road studio's were the most advanced studio in britain & still is.Yes album's sound quality was sh*t..So was early Genesis

Edited by Karnevil9
70sSoundquality View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 00:40
Originally posted by Yams Yams wrote:

Well, I have yet to see a list of all the equipment at abbey road, but comparing apples to apples, i highly doubt they were that far off the mark considering the time (1977).

Abbey road, along with Britania row used the best of the best. In the 70s, no major studio recording an extremely professional band would settle for less than MCI, Neve, Harrison, SSL, ABE, chilton, etc etc. When your in that league of professional electronics, comparing them to each other is pretty moot. Same with the recoder- there is really no such thing as a "worse" 2 inch machine than another; one might have more features, and they might all sound different, but this is preference and how many bells and whistles you want (which typically have nothing to do with sound).

fairchild comps, u 87 mics, 1176 limiter amp, a good discrete console, a good discrete recorder....typical and to be found in any professional studio in the 1970s. It just depends on who uses it. Abbey road had EMI plates....yet so did Britania! its all the same really
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123