Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs the USA a big bully these days?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Poll Question: A simple yes or no, foriegn opinions valued most.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
38 [64.41%]
21 [35.59%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 13:17
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

For anyone who might care (in the USA for this comment):

Send something to your representative to let them know about your displeasure in the Vice-Tyrant.

Alright!  We're gonna try to impeach the VP for acting on the information that was avaliable at the time!  That b*****d should have used a time-machine to see what would would happen in the future and act upon that! 

The problem with Cheney is he has covered up his wrongdoings and has tried to abolish agencies that were created to have oversight over his office. Now he's saying he's not part of the excecutive office of government, but rather the legislative because he is the "president of the Senate," a largely superfluous position with only matters in breaking tie votes, basically. He's a spinster and a flat-out criminal. But do we have enough evidence to boot him from office? Probably not, but I'm sure we could get a "no confidence" vote for him from Congress, as long as not too many balls are squeezed behind the scenes.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 18:10
Originally posted by IVNORD IVNORD wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

If we codified anti-globalization policies capitalism wouldn't be compromised but manufacturing jobs wouldn't be lost. Can you imagine how complex the code should be? Capitalism is based on free markets. Stiff regulations are a threat to it. Protectionism is one of them. Actually, the latest debate is triggered more by the loss of white-collar jobs (manufacturing jobs migration is going on for years, see my original message), so most of it is political. Politicians don't do anything about it as nothing can be done, but they talk a lot as talk is cheap and people like it.
^ I agree. I think many people are against globalism because of nothing more than a romanticizing of the past.

People tend to romanticize the past, they turn extremely nostalgic when the times get rough. So they liked Reagan during the recession of 1990, now they remember Clinton not realizing he was greatly responsible for the present state of affairs. The same goes for globalization - people don't understand the nature of the process. Th ebest example is Lou Dobbs of CNN. The man had it for quite a while when at the end of his program he listed US companies outsourcing jobs (now he's on a crusade against illegal aliens)

Which is why I think that introductory Macro should be a standard high school level course.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 18:15
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

For anyone who might care (in the USA for this comment):

Send something to your representative to let them know about your displeasure in the Vice-Tyrant.

Alright!  We're gonna try to impeach the VP for acting on the information that was avaliable at the time!  That b*****d should have used a time-machine to see what would would happen in the future and act upon that! 

The problem with Cheney is he has covered up his wrongdoings and has tried to abolish agencies that were created to have oversight over his office. Now he's saying he's not part of the excecutive office of government, but rather the legislative because he is the "president of the Senate," a largely superfluous position with only matters in breaking tie votes, basically. He's a spinster and a flat-out criminal. But do we have enough evidence to boot him from office? Probably not, but I'm sure we could get a "no confidence" vote for him from Congress, as long as not too many balls are squeezed behind the scenes.

That actually is the more accurate description. He has no official excutive power unless the President dies. If that doesn't happen the only power he has is that as the President of the Senate (and something minor to do with the electorial college I think). That said I don't like the guy, but there's no grounds for impeachment.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 21:06
Actually, the VP has as much power as any other member of the senate.  If you calculate the power indeces (using either method), all members and the VP are equally powerful.  

Edited by rileydog22 - June 27 2007 at 21:06

IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 21:38

If we codified anti-globalization policies capitalism wouldn't be compromised but manufacturing jobs wouldn't be lost. Can you imagine how complex the code should be? Capitalism is based on free markets. Stiff regulations are a threat to it. Protectionism is one of them. Actually, the latest debate is triggered more by the loss of white-collar jobs (manufacturing jobs migration is going on for years, see my original message), so most of it is political. Politicians don't do anything about it as nothing can be done, but they talk a lot as talk is cheap and people like it.
^ I agree. I think many people are against globalism because of nothing more than a romanticizing of the past.

People tend to romanticize the past, they turn extremely nostalgic when the times get rough. So they liked Reagan during the recession of 1990, now they remember Clinton not realizing he was greatly responsible for the present state of affairs. The same goes for globalization - people don't understand the nature of the process. Th ebest example is Lou Dobbs of CNN. The man had it for quite a while when at the end of his program he listed US companies outsourcing jobs (now he's on a crusade against illegal aliens)

Which is why I think that introductory Macro should be a standard high school level course.

Are you referring to macro-economics? That won't happen in the near future. THe system of public education is conceived in such a way that the population is given  minimal necessary education. It makes it easier to govern.
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 09:15

I think one of the biggest problems with US society, and related to politics, is that schools don't educate on how its economy actually works.  If you notice, aren't the majority of US politicians finacially secure? And they represent the common man? There is a serious disconnect.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 11:11

Are you referring to macro-economics? That won't happen in the near future. THe system of public education is conceived in such a way that the population is given  minimal necessary education. It makes it easier to govern.

Yes. Since I don't like dabbling in conspiracy theories thats about as far as I'll go with this.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 11:15

I think one of the biggest problems with US society, and related to politics, is that schools don't educate on how its economy actually works.  If you notice, aren't the majority of US politicians finacially secure? And they represent the common man? There is a serious disconnect.

I don't know how those two statements relate to each other but
if a disparity of the sizes of two men's bankaccounts amounts to there being an unbridgeable disconnect between them, then we have much deeper issues as a society than representatives not representing their constituents.
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 11:26

if a disparity of the sizes of two men's bankaccounts amounts to there being an unbridgeable disconnect between them, then we have much deeper issues as a society than representatives not representing their constituents.

Getting off topic, but...

You are correct. The statements don't relate as so much make an observation.  Perhaps it would be better to say that US politicians exhibit a more solid understanding of capitalism than that of the common man if one derives that through observing their bank accounts.

However, I also believe that preservation of their bank accounts may interfere with other decisions.  In other words, it would be foolish to believe they would vote in favor of tax increases based on higher incomes. Currently, the American middle class is most effected by being taxed. The rich continue to get richer and the poor get poorer. The majority of the middle class moves in the direction of the poorer.

Edited by StyLaZyn - June 28 2007 at 11:29
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 12:13

Yes. Since I don't like dabbling in conspiracy theories thats about as far as I'll go with this.

No conspiracy here (I'm no fan of it either), rather a mix of human nature and economics. It's always been that way. People get as much education as needed to have enough ability to work.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 12:17

Getting off topic, but...

You are correct. The statements don't relate as so much make an observation.  Perhaps it would be better to say that US politicians exhibit a more solid understanding of capitalism than that of the common man if one derives that through observing their bank accounts.

However, I also believe that preservation of their bank accounts may interfere with other decisions.  In other words, it would be foolish to believe they would vote in favor of tax increases based on higher incomes. Currently, the American middle class is most effected by being taxed. The rich continue to get richer and the poor get poorer. The majority of the middle class moves in the direction of the poorer.

It does for some no doubt, but there are plenty of people who are men of principle. Wander over to the Ron Paul 2008 thread.
ClassicRocker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 01:33
Yes, we are. Disapprove
SoundsofSeasons View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 15:03
O.K. Exactly how is this thread being allowed to be continued? What happened to threads not being allowed if they are insulting? Im very insulted by this thread right now. If your going to do a thread like this, i believe there should be three more saying...

1. Is Japan a big bully?
2. Is Mexico a big bully?
3. Is ___ a big bully?

Seriously, this is like the take a shot at Bush thread or something. If not, it could also be the take a shot at the American people for allowing things to happen thread. Seriously, give me a freikin break. Pinch.
1 Chronicles 13:7-9

Then David and all Israel played music before God with all their might, with singing, on harps, on stringed instruments, on tambourines, on cymbals, and with trumpets.

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 15:06
It's because all the admins are liberal Europeans who hate America.

(just kidding! Don't punish me Embarrassed)
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 15:12
Originally posted by SoundsofSeasons SoundsofSeasons wrote:

O.K. Exactly how is this thread being allowed to be continued? What happened to threads not being allowed if they are insulting? Im very insulted by this thread right now. If your going to do a thread like this, i believe there should be three more saying...

1. Is Japan a big bully?
2. Is Mexico a big bully?
3. Is ___ a big bully?

Seriously, this is like the take a shot at Bush thread or something. If not, it could also be the take a shot at the American people for allowing things to happen thread. Seriously, give me a freikin break. Pinch.

Well I am 100% American and I started this thread. If you don't see a problem with Bush and Co, I'm very sorry.

And I fault the American people for allowing him a second term. I voted for him the first term but not the second go around. I swear he has people that do nothing but find loopholes for him to get away with the things he does. I clearly see his administration as corrupt to the point of being evil. 2009 can't come quick enough for me.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 15:14
"I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in beliefs." - NP

^Obviously... why don't you run our country.

Then David and all Israel played music before God with all their might, with singing, on harps, on stringed instruments, on tambourines, on cymbals, and with trumpets.

StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 15:18

I hope you are not trying to bring religious values into this. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 15:19

The faith part... as in other people. No i would not do that to you.

StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 15:22

In the case of the quote, faith pertains to religious faith. Not faith in a people, per se.

Good, because Dubya is about the biggest Christian hypocrite, in my eyes.

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 15:27

In the case of the quote, faith pertains to religious faith. Not faith in a people, per se.

Good, because Dubya is about the biggest Christian hypocrite, in my eyes.

Yeah, if he were a real Christian he would have anyone who works on the Sabbath executed as God commands in the book of Exodus.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>