FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedthe Genesis tour officially started

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: the Genesis tour officially started
    Posted: June 12 2007 at 12:27
So I was there in Helsinki. Seeing Genesis performing first time in 20 years, in front of a full house (>30000) people, standing in the front row and I must say, it was worth it.

At a Finnish prog forum/community I mentioned I was going there to see Genesis, and they were sceptical, saying it doesn't really have anything to do with progressive rock. Well, this is where they were wrong. Sure, Genesis did play some of their best pop songs, and I Can't Dance, but the whole 2,5 hour gig included only Invisible Touch and that. I don't count Tonight Tonight or Domino to these since I think they're splendid as prog too, and the show for Invisible Touch was great, fireworks and everything.

Most of the songs were from SEbtP, Lamb, Trick of the Tail, and Duke. I didn't keep a list. Some people write lists of the songs, but I'd rather just enjoy the show. we had Duke's End followed by Turn It On Again, of course. I knew we'd hear In The cage as well, and so we did, combined with some classics too as a medley. I think they could have sounded a bit better then, but I guess the reason was basically that the keyboard wasn't loud enough. This was fixed later on. I was really glad to hear songs like Firth of Fifth and I Know What I Like from SEbtP. During I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) everyone sang along.

Oh, we had Mama, and Home by the Sea + Second Home by the Sea, great performances. Ripples, Follow You, Follow Me, Afterglow, No Son of Mine, Land Of Confusion. Also the drum duel Phil Collins and Chester Thompson did very often, followed by Los Endos, and then they marched off, if I recall correctly. For encore they played first I Can't Dance, as said, and very last, Carpet Crawlers, which was a great ending.

As my first Genesis consert, I really enjoyed it, more than my brother, because I never expected as much old songs as he did. They surprised me a bit. Some of the gestures were straight as from the Wembley Stadium DVD, the Domino effect thing for one, but it was great.

I know people do think it's not the real Genesis, and sure, they didn't go to Trespass, Nursery cryme or Foxtrot very much, but it was still worth seeing. I think if you still have a chance, you should go and buy the tickets. I don't regret it at all.

Also, if someone was there, who was the warm up artist? I really loved her and her music, and would like to get her album, but I missed the name

And then, as this is a crappy review, I'd just like if people would review it as a tour, saying how it went where they come from, and we could compare!
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 16:12
I found this set list on Progressive Ears:

Helsinki:

Behind the Lines (instrumental intro)~Duke's End~Turn It On Again
No Son Of Mine
Land of Confusion
In The Cage~The Cinema Show (instr.)~Duke's Travels (instr.)~Afterglow
Hold on My Heart
Home by the Sea~Second Home By The Sea
Follow You Follow Me
Firth of Fifth (instr.)~I Know What I Like
Mama
Ripples
Throwing It All Away
Domino
Drum Duet~Los Endos

Tonight Tonight Tonight (vocal part)~Invisible Touch
I Can't Dance
Carpet Crawlers

I italicised the ones I am going to enjoy. Wink

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 16:16
You know what? That throws a bone to the Pop Genesis fan, but more so to the classic Genesis fan. I would have liked to see them replace I Can't Dance with Driving the Last Spike.

That is a pretty good set list!  Big%20smile 
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 16:23
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

You know what? That throws a bone to the Pop Genesis fan, but more so to the classic Genesis fan. I would have liked to see them replace I Can't Dance with Driving the Last Spike.

Man, I agree, even though I was lucky enough to see them play it live on the We Can't Dance Tour, and it was just great, as Fading Lights was.

But indeed, this show will be fantastic, and I've got my tickets for the Montreal concert on September 14th... and also got my tickets for Rush the VERY NEXT DAY !!!Big%20smile
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 16:26
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Man, I agree, even though I was lucky enough to see them play it live on the We Can't Dance Tour, and it was just great, as Fading Lights was.

But indeed, this show will be fantastic, and I've got my tickets for the Montreal concert on September 14th... and also got my tickets for Rush the VERY NEXT DAY !!!Big%20smile

OK, where's the green with envy smiley?  This will have to do.  Pinch

You are so lucky.

Wipe the smug look off your face!

Wink

Edited by StyLaZyn - June 12 2007 at 16:27
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 16:28

Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

OK, where's the green with envy smiley?  This will have to do.  Pinch

You are so lucky.

Wipe the smug look off your face!

Wink

I want to, but I can't !  And it's only 9 days after my birthday, so this is going to be one hell of a week-end party, let me tell you this !!!
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 05:24
I discovered the warmer up girl: http://www.myspace.com/sansamusic
Ray Lomas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 15:39
The only boring part in the show was Hold on my Heart. Apart from that it was really great. Cool

I was really happy to see Genesis for the first time in my life. I really loved when they played In the Cage and Ripples...

Perhaps they were little nervous. That didn't bother me, though.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 15:59
Not a bad set list at all. Bound to be some changes as the tour progreses, but I'll never know. The cost of the tickets are well beyond me.

Bound to be a DVD after though!Big%20smile

Edited by Snow Dog - June 13 2007 at 15:59
lmollea View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 05:29
will be seeing them sunday in Bern... will keep you informed...

no Supper's Ready... awwwww.... :(
Semm che, semm che settà giò in del bar / a cercà l'universo nel bucèer del Cynar
cosmonauti al tavolino cun la sigareta in bùca / che vemm a cambià el mund apena finissum la sambuca
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 05:33

If you look on YouTube you'll find clips of this gig. Was a bit worried by the tentative display on that VH1 Rock Honors show (apparently the other acts weren't too much better on that) but this was great, based on the clips I saw. Setlist is nicely balanced. I also find the only songs on that set I can't abide are 'Invisible Touch' and 'We Can't Dance'. The other poppier tunes I don't really mind so much.

I'm going to a screening of the Dusseldorf show on 27th June- they are showing it in Vue cinemas across the UK. But apparently this show won't be the one released on DVD- on a BBC Radio 2 interview I heard, Phil said a free concert in Rome would be the one filmed for DVD release.

Edited by salmacis - June 14 2007 at 05:34
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 13:31

Interesting set list.

But I think that I`m going to wait to buy the planned DVD of this tour...I don`t think that they are going to play in my country.

Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2007 at 02:04
Admins:
  BTW this is not an announcement but a live performance review.  Just like a Zappa plays Zappa video I posted a few weeks ago was not a recommendation(which is where it was moved) but in fact was trailer for the upcoming video release. 
Wink

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
 Post Reply Post Reply