Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhil Collins sits in with the Musical Box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phil Collins sits in with the Musical Box
    Posted: February 26 2005 at 01:27
Taken from the progressive ears forum

"Collins was sitting 4 rows in front of me, that was my first surprise, he saw the complete show and anyone could tell for the look of his face that he was having a great time , he saw himself playing drums ! 'cos the guy in "The musical box" not only looks like him but moves the same..

When Collins entered the stage , it was madness, everyone became wild, he walked to"his" old drum kit and looked at the public, his face was so expressive, full of nostalgia, like saying " you think I can't do it ?"
he raised his hands and face , like giving thanks to someone up there, caress the drum and sat, then he was totally possessed by the "Drum Devil" and "the musical box" the integral version of the song emerged with Collins playing 10 amazing minutes of incredible music, like he was 30 years younger , man what a pleasure to see the guy playing and singing like that, like I was in 1974 , I still can not believe it, in fact , he played even better than before, it was so natural, so inspired ....he proved wrong everyone that was willing to write him off as a drummer.
The end of the song was so powerful , he was really possessed, man , the guy when he wants can play !!!

I took me 25 years to understand Collins attitude to prog rock, it was tonight that finally made sense,the guy outgrew the genre, like many of us do not feel comfortable doing things we did when we were twenty something , there are things you just leave behind ... sometimes nostalgia hits you back and for a while it is nice but you move on and do what you enjoy, lets pray that nostalgia bring something good out of this magic night."

Wow, I'd love to see the man return to his former glory and shred behind that kit.  Sources say the event was filmed for promotional purposes with video cameras and the like, so hopefully one day we can see this wonderful footage for ourselves.
Prog is the new punk, becuase kids who shop at Hot Topic don't know Bill Bruford is God.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 02:57

I read also in progressive ears that Steve Hackett played with The Musical Box in 2002, I believe it was in The Royal Albert Hall and the chosen track was Firth of Fifth.

Would be great to have the two footages.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 08:18
Just yesterday I bought my ticket for the first show out of 4 in Frankfurt/Germany, I'm exited about it because everyone seems to thrilled about this band...hope they're worth the money (46 Euro !!! )

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
Aerosol Grey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 17:30
I'm kinda confused as to why this thread was moved HERE to a forum that gets minimal attention rather than where it was initially(the main forum).

True this happened at a live show by a "band on tour" but I think Phil Collins sitting down to play drums on the Musical Box for the first time in who knows how many years is more interesting than endless "Yes vs Pink Floyd" polls.
Prog is the new punk, becuase kids who shop at Hot Topic don't know Bill Bruford is God.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 11:08

Originally posted by Aerosol Grey Aerosol Grey wrote:

I'm kinda confused as to why this thread was moved HERE to a forum that gets minimal attention rather than where it was initially(the main forum).

True this happened at a live show by a "band on tour" but I think Phil Collins sitting down to play drums on the Musical Box for the first time in who knows how many years is more interesting than endless "Yes vs Pink Floyd" polls.

I have seen this before too AG.  I don't what the heck the criteria is for the main forum sometimes.  THis was a one time event. And farily significant at that.  But Why Asia is prog is more important or releveant I guess.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 11:04
Originally posted by Aerosol Grey Aerosol Grey wrote:

Agreed, this is the kind of news that I find interesting and thought provoking. The best is behind people like Collins but even so, it's fun to re-visit the past every now and again.
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
 Post Reply Post Reply