Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDouglas Lubahn (The Doors)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Douglas Lubahn (The Doors)
    Posted: June 15 2007 at 13:58

"Who is that on bass?" I asked myself as I picked up the cover of the Doors' Strange Days.

The record had just been released and it still had the cellophane protectively in place. Lubahn’s catchy intro on "You’re Lost Little Girl" had caught my attention.  I suddenly realized how strong the bass work was, and had also been on the previous self-titled album as well. I recall that moment clearly, because it seemed so unfair when I considered his contribution to what i was hearing, and learning to love.

I had to wonder out loud why he wasn't an official band member. He seemed to me to be the fifth member of the band, so why wasn't he included along with Jim, Ray, and the boys?

I loved Lubahn's trundelling overweight sound. It perfectly compliments the Doors rugged and roughneck style. It was, and still is, obvious to me that almost all of the early bass-lines are the beating heart of those early Doors songs, an important aspect of The Doors' overall sound, and part of their best work too. Apparently, it wasn't just an exclusionary thing though. Doug was still with and loyal to his own band Clear Light, a group that featured Danny Korchmar, Dallas Taylor, and Doug Hastings.

Anyway, he went on to help found Dreams, the early and amazing experimental jazz-rock group, with John Abercrombie, Billy Cobham, and the Brecker Brothers. He didn't just turn down the Doors. Lubahn also declined membership in The Buffalo Springfeild and (!) The Mahavishnu Orchestra.

The Doors valued his playing so much in those obscure early days that Morrison would pick him up in a VW Bug every seesion to drive him to the studio, personally. Doug also did studio gigs for Billy Squire (and appeared on SNL with him), Ted Nugent, and The Monkees. He and other members of Clear Light appear on Goffin & King’s ‘Porpoise Song’ from the sountrack to the Monkees film, Head (1968), believe it or not a Frank Zappa project. He also appears in the James Coburn film The President's Analyst.

Lubahn has a book coming out where he tells about his experiences in and around the music scene. It will no doubt be worth a close read. You can find out about it at:

http://www.douglubahn.com/

V
I want to see beyond that tree
And defy the force of gravity
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 19:48
I believe the Doors went through a lot of session bassists for various reasons. So thats probably why he wasn't officially in the band.  
 Post Reply Post Reply