Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDredg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 20:12
What's the problem? The site says " Progressive music sub-genre: Art Rock". I think that fits dredg as well as any title. El Cielo is one of my favorite albums and I haven't even heard of the 5.1 mix! Embarrassed The music is so beautifully layered and the album flows through it's different stages so well. The sort of "journey" that the album takes you on and the many layers definitely makes it progressive in my mind. Leitmotif is a toss up for me...it has parts that are beautifully layered and well done but other parts (especially with the singing) is downright irritating. Catch Without Arms? Definitely the least progressive of the three but perhaps my most played (currently). It's certainly more accessible and more "fun"? It definitely must be said though that the more you listen to Catch Without Arms the more progressiveness comes out. It has very buried complexity/thought.

I'll throw in another vote for disking these sorts of threads too. Wink

Edited by Synesthesia - June 24 2007 at 20:12
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 20:17
By popular opinion on Allmusic.com and Pitchforkmedia.com, dredg are considered alternative progressive, more or less. I agree, but without hearing Leitmotif, I can't give a full view of their discography and aura in full. Taking into account El Cielo and Catch Without Arms, I'll describe them as sonically and conceptually adventurous alternative rock with strong progressive music tendencies, worthy of being on this site in one form or another. I'm fine with them in Art Rock now.
xhamasaki View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 09:05
As with Radiohead, Tool, The Mars Volta, and several other bands on this site... dredg falls into the category of if you dont like them "you just dont get it"

thats all I have to say, and I think people who think they should be on this website agree...

if you don't like them and can't see why they are a progressive rock band, you just don't get it.... sorry

I added them to the archives, so I don't want to see such an experimental band taken off because someone listened to them for 5 minutes and decided they weren't good because they didnt throw in 100000 solos and use 85 time signature changes in the same song
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 13:49
^Nice to see you back dude!Big%20smile

Thanks for adding them, otherwise I might've never discivered them!Hug
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 14:04
Originally posted by xhamasaki xhamasaki wrote:

As with Radiohead, Tool, The Mars Volta, and several other bands on this site... dredg falls into the category of if you dont like them "you just dont get it"

thats all I have to say, and I think people who think they should be on this website agree...

if you don't like them and can't see why they are a progressive rock band, you just don't get it.... sorry

I added them to the archives, so I don't want to see such an experimental band taken off because someone listened to them for 5 minutes and decided they weren't good because they didnt throw in 100000 solos and use 85 time signature changes in the same song

Sorry xhamasaki, but I don't agree with you. I do like Dredg and I'm a fan of their El Cielo album. The problem is that I have trouble seeing them as a full on prog band. They may be an intelligent alternative rock band (not saying that alternative rock is dumb, by the way), but prog band it's not.

And, Dredg experimental?! Since when?

I know from what side you come from and I respect your opinion on seeing them as a prog band. And believe me, I know that bands don't need to have "100000 solos and use 85 time signature changes in the same song" to be prog.

xhamasaki View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 08:02
Name another album influenced by both a Salvador Dali painting, life, and sleep paralysis, hell name another band that sounds ANYTHING like dredg and then tell me they aren't pretty experimental
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 11:35

Name another album influenced by both a Salvador Dali painting, life, and sleep paralysis,

Sorry I can't, but does having a original concept makes them prog? Not to me.

hell name another band that sounds ANYTHING like dredg and then tell me they aren't pretty experimental

Yes I can and it isn't very hard to either:

The Postman Syndrome
. Think Dredg, but heavier.

Youthmovie Soundtrack Strategies. Another one sounding like Dredg, but more daring more complex.

The Grand Silent System
. The one that's closer to Dredg's sound, but jazzier.

There you have it. Three bands that do sound like Dredg and they are not  experimental. Experimental bands are Set Fire To Flames, Yellow Swans, Circle, Faust, Charalambides and others, not "alternative prog" bands like Dredg.

Edited by chamberry - June 26 2007 at 23:38

chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 21:23
bump? Smile

xhamasaki View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 08:33
none of those bands sound anything like dredg what are you talking about.  The strength of the band is what isn't there.  It's almost minimalist rock, like Radiohead
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 21:38

none of those bands sound anything like dredg what are you talking about. The strength of the band is what isn't there.

Well I wasn't going to mention Dredg clones. I was just pointing out bands with a similar style as Dredg and showing you that they are not experimental. And about the strength, well, we're not talking about bands being better than Dredg, are we?

It's almost minimalist rock, like Radiohead

Minimalist rock? Radiohead? Did you really listened to those bands?

I can't see anything minimalist in any of those bands, but it seems that we have radically different views of our music so I'm not going to continue on with this discussion.

Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2007 at 10:55
Am I the one to like CATCH WITHOUT ARMS most?

Title track, Planting Seeds, Ode to the Sun (played it in a summer camp on discos ), Hung Over on a Tuesday...flawless
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2007 at 15:11

Name another album influenced by both a Salvador Dali painting, life, and sleep paralysis, hell name another band that sounds ANYTHING like dredg and then tell me they aren't pretty experimental

What does having pseudo-complex concepts/lyrics have to do with being musically experimental? Confused

I like Dredg (Man Overboard can check my last.fm page if he doesn't believe me Wink), but I have to agree with Chamberry (again!). I hear no prog in them whatsoever. That doesn't make them any worse - nor better for that matter - in my books, btw.

Whether they're in Art Rock or Prog-related is hardly the biggest concern in my life, just thought I'd voice my opinion. Smile
MadcapLaughs84 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2007 at 15:26
Maybe the perfect comparison with gredg would be Radiohead, they started with 2 excellent Alt Rock albums, and then their sound experiments leaded them into Prog. Also dredg has Alternative influences but they have a close link to Prog Music itself.
StarBreaker View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2007 at 05:11
I love this band!

I've only heard both albums once, but I was utterly impressed by both, and will surely listen to both records several times again.
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2007 at 22:36
I have El Cielo, and I was intrigued at first, and gradually fell completely in love with it. I do find the vocals a bit trying after a time, and the range of notes used for the melodies a bit unadventurous... but the textures and overall production are absolutely gorgeous. I didn't even know there was a 5.1 release! I MUST have that.

I've honestly been a little afraid to pick up any of their other releases, as I've heard mixed reviews, and I don't want to be disappointed...
Pure Brilliance:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123