Topic ClosedAlex Lifeson

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alex Lifeson
    Posted: March 22 2004 at 07:52
Does anyone (especially our Canadian Members) know the current situation re Alex Lifesons upcoming assault hearing? The last I heard, he was listed for a hearing in May & if found guilty, could be facing a mandatory 5 year jail term....... face it, if this is true, and if this happens, it will (a) put paid to the 30th Anniversary tour, and (b) probably mean the end for Rush.

I know he was awarded the Order Of Canada a few years ago (as were Geddy Lee & Neil Peart), but if the reports I've heard are true, i.e. AL hitting a police officer whilst drunk on new years eve (I saw a picture of a very shamefaced, hungover & bloodstained AL flanked by police officers), then big fan of Rush (as I am) or not, should he not face punishment at the hands of the courts?

I'd be interested to hear whether anyone has any current news on this, and also, what members feel should happen to AL if guilty.....

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2004 at 08:36
WOW this has popped up again!!! i geuss if he is found guilty then he must be punished(and this from a big Rush fan...but the law is the law)....i will watch with interest(perhaps a thread with the latest news????)

Edited by dude
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2004 at 10:51

We have a lot of corruption at many levels in this pathetic country even within the police and judicial systems. If Alex does have to spend time in jail then it would be a shame because the whole thing has just been blown out of proportion and should be thrown out of court. So the guy had a little bit too much to drink on New Year`s Eve, so what, it`s not like he went out and killed someone. Canada is a country in decline and I wish the rest of the world could wake up and smell the coffee and see this. We`ve glided on past glories for too long. I won`t go on since this is not the place. With that said, I hope Alex is able to continue on with the upcoming tour even though Rush is a thing of the past for me. They put out some impressive music back in the 70`s no doubt about it.

Edited by Vibrationbaby
arqwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2004 at 14:39
i donīt know very much, but i have been checking the RUSH main page and they donīt mention anything of changing plans for the 30 anniversary concerts, perhaps, he is on parole or he has already settle than problem, we must wait
CygnusX2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 00:28

Yeah i live in Florida a few hours away from where this all happened and it's a bunch of crap. Alex got the crap kicked out of him and was defending himself by hitting the cops or whatever he did (or at least i hope that's what happened, im just too much of a rush fan to admit otherwise) and i hope the tour is still on because come july 30th im gonna be enjoying some nice tunskies down here in tampa.

Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 12:29
Originally posted by CygnusX2112 CygnusX2112 wrote:

Yeah i live in Florida a few hours away from where this all happened and it's a bunch of crap. Alex got the crap kicked out of him and was defending himself by hitting the cops or whatever he did (or at least i hope that's what happened, im just too much of a rush fan to admit otherwise) and i hope the tour is still on because come july 30th im gonna be enjoying some nice tunskies down here in tampa.

From what I'd gathered, Alex's son caused the whole mess trying to get on stage with the band. Alex, a bit inebriated, stepped in and ...... happens. To say the cops were at fault is rather unfair.

There is a lot of "hero worship" at this site. I toss a lot of it around myself. But, just because he is "THE GUITARIST FROM RUSH" does not make him guilt -free. I feel it's dafe to assume that Alex will pay a fine, do some community service and "maybe" have to take an aner management course. OUCH, huh?

I've been a Rush fan since early on. I HATE to see bad things happen to people I admire, but look at Martha Stewart, whoda thunk it? (Martha Rocks!!!)

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 16:24
I've got tickets for Rush at Birmingham NEC. I'm not sure how they plan to do the gig without Alex.As great as Geddy and Neil are this might be a tiny prob.Alex you 'bad boy' keep yourself out of trouble! (well at least until after the gig)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 16:32
They could always get the redoubtable Danny Partridge to come out of retirement to fill in! I saw some pictures of alex after this little altercation and it didn't even look like him man. I initially thought it had ocurred in Toronto but it occurred in Florida. People have gone to jail for a lot less and the A merican judicial system doesn't play favourites. Even Martha couldn't buy her way around her legal problems and will have to do at least 6 months to a year.
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 17:37

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

They could always get the redoubtable Danny Partridge to come out of retirement to fill in! I saw some pictures of alex after this little altercation and it didn't even look like him man. I initially thought it had ocurred in Toronto but it occurred in Florida. People have gone to jail for a lot less and the A merican judicial system doesn't play favourites. Even Martha couldn't buy her way around her legal problems and will have to do at least 6 months to a year.

Danny is the bass player. It would have to be Keith Partridge on stage with Geddy and Neil. GURPLG. Horrible sight, man.

In reality, I doubt Alex will go through too much. Chins up, Boys. Rush will tour........

Edited by danbo
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2004 at 16:03
Danny Partridge, the musical genius he is probably could probably teach himself the guitar in a day and then go on stage with Geddy and Neil and just ad-lb it as they went along.
 Post Reply Post Reply