Topic ClosedRiverside release new Single

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Riverside release new Single
    Posted: June 18 2007 at 12:44
"02 Panic Room"

So, Riverside have released their new single recently and I quite like it.  Apparantly this song is based upon the computer game Silent Hill 4: The Room, which centers its story around a haunted appartement, with the #302 and coincidently I finished playing this game only a week ago, so that's what I call timing LOL.

Nice detail: the song will be #3 on the tracklist of their fortcoming "Rapid Eye Movement" cd, so it will look like 3.02 Panic Room on the cd cover, which makes the link to the Silent Hill appartement even more transparent Tongue.

Now, back to the music. It is a typical Riverside song, although for those familiar with this series of computer games, it really sounds as if it were lifted from the soundtrack of any of the games (or the film for that matter). I especially like the 'droning' rhythm section and the various guitar parts, however Mariusz' voice has yet to fully convince me.

It's available for 1,24€ here and this includes 3 bonustracks, one of which is a remix of the a-side and the other two songs are quite a nice instrumental (Lucid Dream IV) and a song that mixes "The Same River" (of Riverside's debuut album Out of myself) and Pink Floyd's "Shine on you crazy Diamond".

So far this bit of Riverside news Wink

Cheers,

- Tristan
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."
CaincelaOreinim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 15:54
Yeah, I just recently acquired this...I'm gonna give it a listen pretty soon. 

Interesting in regard to Silent Hill 4 although it was absolutely terrible IMO.  I knew when I beat Final Fantasy XII and vowed to never play a single game again I should have listened.  It bored me to tears, I still find SH2 to be the best.
CaincelaOreinim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 16:29
Ok just finished listening...don't really see the SH comparison...except maybe the way the drums are recorded.  I think I prefer the remix to the actual of 02 Panic Room.

And who are they kidding with Shine On half-way into Back To The River?!...homage or not, that was awkward...Lucid Dream IV was meh...If this is any indication, the new one seems to be more of the same.
NotSoKoolAid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 17:01

02 Panic Room, the CD, left me thinking the band isn't going anywhere. Though I suppose Back to the River is worth hearing, the rest was entirely hard for me to sit through even the first time. It's not like their long tracks.

darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 15:28
Is there any place where I can download this (legally)?

Edited by darkmatter - July 06 2007 at 15:29
Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 19:20
I actually like 02 - Panic Room, and I think it's MUCH too soon to draw any conclusions with respect of the album coming in September. The other two songs are not going to appear on the album, so "no harm done". I agree that Lucid Dream IV is not their best efford up-to-date, and Back to the River must be an hommage to PF. Anyway, it's just a single and I would still give it 3/5....
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
 Post Reply Post Reply