Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMostly Autumn to support Bryan Adams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 05:42
Originally posted by Harkmark Harkmark wrote:

Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

Well, I am not impressed with what I have heard by Mostly Autumn, but they seem to have lost their judgement totally. Maybe it's time to change management... I would prefer not to have a "Bryan Adams fan" enjoying my music...and that's not snobbery, only common sense...

The band manages themselves, so changing management will not happen! Also, I guess that when you're watching "The Wall live in Berlin"-DVD, you always skip "Empty spaces" and "Young Lust"?

Ok. At least they know what they are doing then.
As for the rest of your comment, I don't know what you are talking about.

I do...and I think Bryans Adams choice as the singer/guitsrist on Young Lust is inspired.
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 05:43

I would prefer not to have a "Bryan Adams fan" enjoying my music...and that's not snobbery, only common sense...

No, that's snobbery.

My friend is going to the gig at Murrayfield, he's a fan of both Mostly Autumn and Bryan Adams. In fact, it was through him that I first heard MA. I ended up going to see MA with him when they started their show with a set of Pink Floyd covers before doing their own material, a great gig.
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 05:49
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

My goodness, scary thoughts what with progbands opening for POP giants, so let’s have some fun (that’s a prog tradition) with a few nightmare scenarios:

On stage,

Dream Theater opening for Celine Dion

The Flower Kings opening for Cher

IQ warming up the crowd for Shakira (Yipes!)

Magma warming up for Madonna (now, THAT’s Kinky!)

Brand X opening for Justin Timberlake

Fish starts off the Pink show (stop giggling!)

The Watch kicks off Tim McGraw (spaghetti country, anyone?)

Hawkwind opens for Dolly Parton (Damn! talk about Space Ritual!)

Or Sleepytime Gorilla Museum opening for Michael Bolton...

Harkmark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 06:02
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

Well, I am not impressed with what I have heard by Mostly Autumn, but they seem to have lost their judgement totally. Maybe it's time to change management... I would prefer not to have a "Bryan Adams fan" enjoying my music...and that's not snobbery, only common sense...

The band manages themselves, so changing management will not happen! Also, I guess that when you're watching "The Wall live in Berlin"-DVD, you always skip "Empty spaces" and "Young Lust"?

Ok. At least they know what they are doing then.
As for the rest of your comment, I don't know what you are talking about.

I do...and I think Bryans Adams choice as the singer/guitsrist on Young Lust is inspired.

I have "Live in Pompeii". That'll do it for me. And it's not because of Bryan Adams.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 12:03

Without any deeper elaboration of your statement, it just look childish.
Why not?

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 12:19
Anyone who doesn't at least like Evergreen has absolutely no taste, no soul. So Mr Snow Dog, you're clearly a lost cause.

They have done more great songs than almost any other band I can think of. There are very few I don't like except Pocket Watch and Science and Machinery. (And that's not just because I work with Iain Jennings, their former keyboard player!)
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
kerberos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 12:28
Quick geography lesson: Murrayfield is in Edinburgh and the home of Scottish rugby..  As for Mostly Autumn, i haven't got round to listening to them although being an Events Steward, there's a good chance i will be there.   You say Bryan Adams will be there too?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 13:48
Originally posted by Norbert Norbert wrote:

My goodness, scary thoughts what with progbands opening for POP giants, so let’s have some fun (that’s a prog tradition) with a few nightmare scenarios:

On stage,

I still think that the possibility of Meshuggah opening for Mariah Carey and Death opening for Barbra Streisand are more intersting...
Floydian42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 14:19
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by Norbert Norbert wrote:

On stage,

I still think that the possibility of Meshuggah opening for Mariah Carey and Death opening for Barbra Streisand are more intersting...

Or Opeth starting for Hilary Duff.

Well, my thoughts on it are that it'll only worsen the prog look for a bunch of pop fans who don't give a rats ass about anything prog, or reasonably complex for that matter will spread the word that this band and there kind of music sucks, and persuaded by friends a lot of people will just hate prog. Oh well.

But uhh... good for Mostly Autumn, it'll get them a quick buck and certainly won't hurt there fans view of them in any way.
Harkmark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 18:18
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Without any deeper elaboration of your statement, it just look childish.
Why not?

The statement is not childish, but arrogant, generalizing and not very thoughtful. Arrogance is needed when it comes to Bryan Adams. Thoughtfulness is in this case not a necessary trait of an argument. I prefer oblivion...
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 20:25
Originally posted by puma puma wrote:

well that's just a mean judgment to make. Think of all the juvenile dipsh*ts who listened to King Crimson in 1971.

I didn't say all Tool's fans were juvenile dipsh*ts, but that is the stereotypical group.  I mean I love Tool a lot, but have you ever been around a large group of Tool fans?  It can be quite amusing, but at the same time, some of those people are in their late 20s acting like 13 year olds.  Its like a Beavis and Butthead festival or something. 
Vince View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 20:42
I personally think that the Bryan Adams fans will be either uninterested by Mostly Autumn, or pleasantly surprised... I always thought MA was a very pop-oriented prog, i.e., they are among the most accessible prog bands...
"The mind is like a parachute: it doesn't work until it's opened"... Frank Zappa.
Hyperborea View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 23:25
Imagine the pathetic and awfull Celine Dion being upstaged by a worse act than her.....Dream Theater.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 16:57
Nothing can be any worse. I mean that, really. It embarasses me to be Canadian and even worse from the same province as this waste of a carbon unit.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 23:45
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

.........And that's not just because I work with Iain Jennings, their former keyboard player!

Can you tell us what Mr. Jennings is doing now (probably in a separate thread)?
After his departure from MA it seems we lost his traces.

Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 23:48
Bryan Adams made a good choice, thanks to him.
But after MA set he really risks to find himself in the shadow of supporting band.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 12:24
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Nothing can be any worse. I mean that, really. It embarasses me to be Canadian and even worse from the same province as this waste of a carbon unit.

Ah, c'mon ... so he's popular. Compared to too many other "rock" stars, he's kept out of the celeb mags, delivers the goods for his fans on a consistent basis for a period of 20 plus years, has never really followed trends, and basically just put out enjoyable (if you like this type of music) stuff. In fact, he's a classic canadian - i.e. nice. So I find it hard to see what in blazers you see in him that would make you hate him. Oh, I know, he's more successful than your pet band Big%20smile
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 12:25

Ah, c'mon ... so he's popular. Compared to too many other "rock" stars, he's kept out of the celeb mags, delivers the goods for his fans on a consistent basis for a period of 20 plus years, has never really followed trends, and basically just put out enjoyable (if you like this type of music) stuff. In fact, he's a classic canadian - i.e. nice. So I find it hard to see what in blazers you see in him that would make you hate him. Oh, I know, he's more successful than your pet band Big%20smile
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 16:41
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

I wasn`t refering to Byan Adams. I can handle him. I was refering to that witch Céline Dion who couldn`t sing her way  out of a wet sogy paper bag even if she had a loaded shotgun held to her head. ( look at the post just above mine )

Edited by Vibrationbaby - July 13 2007 at 16:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12