Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Sleep/Dream poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: which of these have you experienced as an adult/teen?(u can vote many)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [40.74%]
5 [9.26%]
5 [9.26%]
15 [27.78%]
4 [7.41%]
3 [5.56%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 08:29
I often have hypnic jerks, and falling sensations. When I was a kid I would be able to jump off the top of our stairs and float away too (in my dreams, that is... )

I still have quite frequent lucid dreams, which get quite involved and detailed. Often something resembling a plot starts to unfold in them. I once dreamt I was lying on the sofa in my girlfriends house watching TV after she had gone to bed. There were no lights on in the house. The door bell rang, and when I went to answer the door I noticed that it was a different front door to normal, and that car headlights were shining through the glass. At that point I realised I was dreaming. I opened the door and was confronted by this huge menacing looking guy who puled a knife on me, and threatened to kill me. Nonchalantly I invited him in and calmly explained to him that he couldn't hurt me because I was only dreaming. He demanded that I prove it so I lit a cigarette and stubbed it out on my arm. I remember kind of jerking, but certainly felt no pain. I remember him looking terrified, at which point he dropped the knife. I picked it up and started threatening him with it, claiming that as it was my dream I COULD kill him. I remember shouting abuse at him, but the sound wasn't coming out. I was completely silent and hoarse. I woke up at that point with my very concerned looking girlfriend looking down at me, saying 'What the f**k were you dreaming about?'

It felt a bit 'Elm Street' at the time! I've had some quite pleasant and plenty of uneventful lucid dreams too.
purplepiper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 01:20
I have on several occasions realized I was dreaming, and gained control of the dream. Unfortunately, I don't remember what I did...
for those about to prog, we salute you.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 01:23
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I often have hypnic jerks, and falling sensations. When I was a kid I would be able to jump off the top of our stairs and float away too (in my dreams, that is... )

I still have quite frequent lucid dreams, which get quite involved and detailed. Often something resembling a plot starts to unfold in them. I once dreamt I was lying on the sofa in my girlfriends house watching TV after she had gone to bed. There were no lights on in the house. The door bell rang, and when I went to answer the door I noticed that it was a different front door to normal, and that car headlights were shining through the glass. At that point I realised I was dreaming. I opened the door and was confronted by this huge menacing looking guy who puled a knife on me, and threatened to kill me. Nonchalantly I invited him in and calmly explained to him that he couldn't hurt me because I was only dreaming. He demanded that I prove it so I lit a cigarette and stubbed it out on my arm. I remember kind of jerking, but certainly felt no pain. I remember him looking terrified, at which point he dropped the knife. I picked it up and started threatening him with it, claiming that as it was my dream I COULD kill him. I remember shouting abuse at him, but the sound wasn't coming out. I was completely silent and hoarse. I woke up at that point with my very concerned looking girlfriend looking down at me, saying 'What the f**k were you dreaming about?'

It felt a bit 'Elm Street' at the time! I've had some quite pleasant and plenty of uneventful lucid dreams too.

I actually had a dream in which Freddy tried to kill me....imagine how scary that was Shocked

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 06:16
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I actually had a dream in which Freddy tried to kill me....imagine how scary that was Shocked

You know you're in trouble if your friends at school also start dreaming about him...

One two, he's coming for you, three four, better lock your door....

Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 06:24
Falling Sensation I get quite often.

I have had only a few lucid dreams and they have a very odd effect on me.I am out of the loop for at least half a day.

I used to sleepwalk during puberty...amongst other pubescent nocturnal happenings.

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 10:16
Hey, im reviving my poll because I had my first lucid dream (I'm also voting for it)

I'm at work in a supermarket and around 6pm (everything looks very similar to the real place), I realized that I have a university class at 6:30pm. It's weird that they would put me to work at a time I really can't work. So, I go to talk to my manager about the problem and halfway, I was realizing that what was going on couldn't be possible. I said aloud something like "It can't be that I'm working when I have to go to class, but my class is really at 12:30pm, this is a dream". When I said "this is a dream", all the surroundings got brighter and more colorful. Since I realized I'm dreaming and I knew something about people controlling the dreams, I tried. I willed myself to levitate successfully to the awe of my boss, and anyone who witnessed it. But when trying to pass through a closed window, I couldn't, and when trying to fly again, it wasn't working very well, everything was getting like blurry and I was slowly waking up. Not a sudden wakeup, just slowly.

It was a pretty interesting moment, especially the brightness change and levitating myself quite a few meters upwards.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2007 at 11:40
I experienced everything from the list expect a night terror and sleep walking, thank god.

I often had lucid dreams, although not 100% controllable. I had a sleep paralysis once, I wanted to scream for help, but  I was only able to breath deeply. Scary.

I had "Out of half body" experience: if I wake up while sleeping on my hand, and my hand is temporarily "dead" , I moved my hand with a help of another hand but still the presence in the old position. Soon after, I felt that my "astral" hand is moving towards my "real" hand, but I wasn't moving my body...the whole thing settled after a minute.
Just nerves playing with the brain I guess.

As for hypnic jerks, I had problems with strong series of spasms mixed with choking and pre-vomiting feeling and causing insomnia, that was awful...I did EEG and I was taking medicines - those hypnic jerks of mine are actually called epileptic myoclonia.

I'm not taking medicines anymore (I would rather be an epileptic than a junkie) I learned to live with my spasms, which are not so strong anymore, and much less frequent.
magnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2007 at 14:48
I had a sort of lucid dream once... I realized that what was going on was too surreal to be real, so I pinched myself to see if I woke up. I did, and now I wish I would have lucid dreams,.
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 03:06
Lucid Dreams & Falling Sensations happen a little now&then
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12