Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis Tour Critique

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 10:08
Originally posted by Harold Demure Harold Demure wrote:

Hi, I was on the yesterdays concert in Katowice.
My general impression is very positive, even thought they didn't play a lot of prog rock stuff - there were more songs like Land Of Confusion, I Can't Dance etc. But sill I think that the performance of the whole band was excellent. And Phil Collins proved to be not only a great vocalist, but also a very nice comedian and showman. In spite of his age, he's still in great form. They also showed great musical skills - Collins with his solo on drums, Rutherford in the solo on Firth of Fifth, Banks eg. in organ solo of the same song.
Haven't ever seen such a pompous show, too. Some animations were absolutely brilliant, IMO the best one was in Home By The Sea. It really brought a new light on this song with this horrifying figure from the famous Munch's picture "The Scream" - an excellent idea to display it during this song.

Apart from that, in this concert there was something special, precisely - the weather. It was so awful that the first words of Phil Collins were: "f**king rain"(he used the polish word for rain, of course ). But the rain and the terrible storm instead of spoiling the concert, added a lot of magic to it's atmosphere. It really didn't bother so much that everyone was soaked to the skin. And something unusual happened wihin the last second of Land Of Confusion. - an enourmous lightning tore the whole sky as if it was planned by organizers.

And one more thing - it seemede that the band put a lot of effort in the concert and that they reall enjoyed the show, too, and that's not only my personal opinion.

So generally it was worth going to this concert, and it was the best I've ever seen (apart from VDGG, maybe). The only disadvantage is the repertoire, alhough you can't have everything.

PS. Sorry for all language mistakes and that post is so chaotic and that I am blabbing so much, but I tend to be a hell of a chatterbox.
Big Genesis fan here of the whole entire career!!!
.I'm glad that you enjoyed the show.
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 04:08
Originally posted by Harold Demure Harold Demure wrote:

Hi, I was on the yesterdays concert in Katowice.
My general impression is very positive, even thought they didn't play a lot of prog rock stuff - there were more songs like Land Of Confusion, I Can't Dance etc. But sill I think that the performance of the whole band was excellent. And Phil Collins proved to be not only a great vocalist, but also a very nice comedian and showman. In spite of his age, he's still in great form. They also showed great musical skills - Collins with his solo on drums, Rutherford in the solo on Firth of Fifth, Banks eg. in organ solo of the same song.
Haven't ever seen such a pompous show, too. Some animations were absolutely brilliant, IMO the best one was in Home By The Sea. It really brought a new light on this song with this horrifying figure from the famous Munch's picture "The Scream" - an excellent idea to display it during this song.

Apart from that, in this concert there was something special, precisely - the weather. It was so awful that the first words of Phil Collins were: "f**king rain"(he used the polish word for rain, of course ). But the rain and the terrible storm instead of spoiling the concert, added a lot of magic to it's atmosphere. It really didn't bother so much that everyone was soaked to the skin. And something unusual happened wihin the last second of Land Of Confusion. - an enourmous lightning tore the whole sky as if it was planned by organizers.

And one more thing - it seemede that the band put a lot of effort in the concert and that they reall enjoyed the show, too, and that's not only my personal opinion.

So generally it was worth going to this concert, and it was the best I've ever seen (apart from VDGG, maybe). The only disadvantage is the repertoire, alhough you can't have everything.

PS. Sorry for all language mistakes and that post is so chaotic and that I am blabbing so much, but I tend to be a hell of a chatterbox.
Sounds like even mother nature had some input. Glad to hear the show is underway. Hopefully by the time they get to the U.S. the set playlist will change with some earlier stuff. Getting to see Tony Banks is worth the whole show for me. Rutherford played Firth Of Fifth? Thanks for sharing with us.

Clap
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 05:01

I went to the Cardiff, um, 'cinema showing' of the Dusseldorf gig yesterday- phenomenal.Clap If you get the opportunity to see them live, do so. The set list was excellent, imho, one of the best the band have come up with in years- heavily weighted towards their lengthier material, and not that many pure pop tunes to speak of. Even those were enjoyable enough in this setting.

There was a very big turnout at the cinema- not many empty seats. The transmission went relatively smoothly, occasional and brief glitches in sound/picture notwithstanding.

Wotgorilla View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 10:14
They are doing over 40 shows in Europe and North America, so why don't they add a few more and come over to Japan and Australia?  Based on the reviews thus far, I'd certainly fork out a fair bit to see them if they played here in Melbourne.

(The success of this tour will probably make a 5 man reunion with PG and SH less likely. I suspect the current trio may even record a new album next year)
"Thru the darkest age we can surely fly, thru the darkest age with the Fist of Fire"
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 11:13
Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

Holy hell...  it looks like they've played Supper's Ready at the most recent show...  IN ITS ENTIRETY!

Check it out, guys Big%20smile

Genesis 2007 - Supper's Ready

Hahaha.. i actualy like the 80 Genesis.. Duke ftw ! Heart
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 12:54
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

I went to the Cardiff, um, 'cinema showing' of the Dusseldorf gig yesterday- phenomenal.Clap If you get the opportunity to see them live, do so. The set list was excellent, imho, one of the best the band have come up with in years- heavily weighted towards their lengthier material, and not that many pure pop tunes to speak of. Even those were enjoyable enough in this setting.

There was a very big turnout at the cinema- not many empty seats. The transmission went relatively smoothly, occasional and brief glitches in sound/picture notwithstanding.

I too saw the 'Cinema Show'  and agree it was very enjoyable . There was one or two tunes that I could have done without but hey, they provide an opportunity for a toilet break. I wish Rutherford would stick to just playing 'bass' & '12 string' though as his limitations as a 'lead guitarist' were evident. Steurner on the other hand did some great improvs like at the end of 'In The Cage'.

The stage set was very impressive !

Edited by Progger - June 28 2007 at 12:58
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12