Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBelieving in the Paranormal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: What do you believe in (you may choose many)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [11.36%]
16 [36.36%]
2 [4.55%]
11 [25.00%]
3 [6.82%]
2 [4.55%]
3 [6.82%]
2 [4.55%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 11:31
^ Same!

I think it would be pretty cool to really have a lochness monster or bigfoot or something.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 11:35
I don't believe in any of them.

But telekinesis would be cool....
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 12:48
I'm with Logos, "I want to believe".

But I'm still not entirely convinced. I still voted for ET though.

I actually had a (UFN) experience though (Unidentified flying noise) Wink, and it was not just a night terror.

I was laying awake trying to get to sleep when i notice I start hearing a low-volume kind of sustained pitch with minor variations about on top of me. I turned off the ceiling fan and tried to rule it out but I noticed that the sound source was moving from one side to the other (while staying at an elevation) and the volume of it increased when it was more overhead. Meanwhile, a dog was barking like CRAZY, and noticed the pattern that when the noise was more overhead, it was when the dog barked the most.

I didn't try to go outside and take a look until it was too late and didn't notice anything and the noise was gone and the dog started barking. Note: My parents woke up due to the dog. They too noticed the dog stopped barking shortly before we went outside, so it's not in my mind.

Just a little "unexplained" story that still doesn't necessarily mean that it was a Alien-related UFO

Edited by Zitro - June 25 2007 at 17:05
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 21:13
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

That's better, no one believes in ELP anymore Wink

Yeah, they've become an urban legend, just like global warming and AIDS.

On topic, I'd have to say Ghosts and Aliens. Come on, with a universe like ours, there's got to be SOMETHING out there.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 23:33
Originally posted by Chameleon Chameleon wrote:

Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

That's better, no one believes in ELP anymore Wink

Yeah, they've become an urban legend, just like global warming and AIDS.

On topic, I'd have to say Ghosts and Aliens. Come on, with a universe like ours, there's got to be SOMETHING out there.

I believe there is life (and intelligent life), on other planets, too.  But the poll choice is for "extraterrestrials visiting us," not for the mere existence of extraterrestrials. I believe interstellar travel by living beings to be impossible, because of the unimaginably huge distances (and thus trip times) involved.Stern%20Smile

I also think that if aliens were able to come here, they'd make themselves well known, and not just sneak around  making weird patterns in fields,  and anally-probing rednecks. LOL
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 23:42
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

^ Same!

I think it would be pretty cool to really have a lochness monster or bigfoot or something.

Ermm Well yeah, I suppose it would be cool -- but the "secret" (undocumented by science) existence of animals that big is just total BS.

Loch Ness monsters and bigfoot are 99.9999999999999999999% impossible. Stern%20Smile

Shall i explain why, again?Smile
He chortled in his joy.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 00:14
None of the above, although...

Dowsing...

Anenome With Copper Tongue is an album I want to hear. Big%20smile

I don't believe in any of the above and as Peter rightly says, I find it's mainly those who believe in God who believe in them (not strictly true, mind you).

As we've never been to the Moon (controversial!), then I do not believe other life forms have visited Earth.  I do believe in other life forms however, it makes no sense whatsoever why only the Earth has life forms on it.  I just do not believe they have the intelligence or technology to get here.  We cannot get there, so how would they get here?

Ghosts make no sense either... they would have shown themselves by now (like God would have too, by the way).  Why hide away and be all sppoky?

I think it might (that's a big might) be possible to somehow have telekinetic powers in the future, but not now.  To be honest, I doubt we ever will.  It's a pipedream of mine.

Astrology... yuck.  Surely if they want to remove Pluto (a recently discovered non-planet) as a planet, then surely it'll screw up Astrology?  That's why it's rubbish.  You cannot just add and remove planets and change how Astrology works.

Foreseeing the future... well... my diary says I have something planned for a certain date, but that doesn't mean it will happen.

Fate is fate.  You cannot predict anything... oh wait, yes you can.  You can predict the next DT album won't be to my taste!
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 00:47
Extraterrestrials is not necessarily paranormal. The existence of life on other planets is quite likely.The other stuff is just delusion.
Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 00:49
I saw a program on the Discovery Channel that said Bush was a Lizard-man from another planet.
Jesus Gabriel
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 00:54
The probability that intelligent life exists somewhere else in the universe is basically 1.  The chance that we will meet them is pretty damn close to 0. 

Everything else in this poll is total bullsh*t. 

Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 07:39
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

I also think that if aliens were able to come here, they'd make themselves well known, and not just sneak around  making weird patterns in fields,  and anally-probing rednecks. LOL

Not if they want to gradually take over the planet and are working with the members of a so-called syndicate that is hiding these facts from the public, and the patterns etc. are merely a distraction to keep UFO-enthusiasts' attention away from the truth.

"The date is set."

Wink
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 03:38
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Astrology is one of the worst piles of rubbish ever invented by the human kind, and it should be banned by the law in all the countries. It's too bad that inquisition in the dark ages didn't made astrology extint - by using the pyres for those who had tried to earn something on poor, naive people, desperately searching for a luck in their cruel reality.

You know, that attitude is so typical of a Libran!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 03:41
Originally posted by Logos Logos wrote:

And this sums up a great deal of opinion - people want to believe in the paranormal, the supernatural, in God/s, in aliens; they want that reassurance that comes with knowledge that (to coin a cliche) we are not alone.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 03:51
Quite an eye opener.

I know that if some folk spoke about religion in the way they walk about some of these things that they would probably be booted from the board.
I am not suggesting bootings...far from it, but I do find it interesting that we can say
"oh yes, astrology...... load of unproven mumbo jumo" Oh, but sir, what if I believe and it brings me comfort?I can't help that I am afraid...it's all a pile'o'hogwash!

But if we replace the word astrology with the name of a recognised religion (I wont use an example...it'll get taken out of context and I will get shot) it is clearly deemed unacceptable.

I like debate, I like to hear the opinions of others, and I do find this pack/herd double standard very interesting.......

ok....... as you were chaps............
Neil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 04:02
I believe that (since brain activity is a mixture of chemical, electrical and possibly some other energy yet unknown) esp may well exist.  I mean why not?  We can send radio messages across the Atlantic so why not thought messages.  I'm confident that this may well exist, it's just that we've never learnt to use it.Lamp

As for religion, I'll say it then; Religion is simply a control structure allowing the intelligent to subjugate the lesser elightened masses.  Anyone who believes otherwise is sadly deluded.  (Ducks and covers).Shocked

Edited by Heavyfreight - June 28 2007 at 04:02
When people get lost in thought it's often because it's unfamiliar territory.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 08:04
Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

Quite an eye opener.

I know that if some folk spoke about religion in the way they walk about some of these things that they would probably be booted from the board.
I am not suggesting bootings...far from it, but I do find it interesting that we can say
"oh yes, astrology...... load of unproven mumbo jumo" Oh, but sir, what if I believe and it brings me comfort?I can't help that I am afraid...it's all a pile'o'hogwash!

But if we replace the word astrology with the name of a recognised religion (I wont use an example...it'll get taken out of context and I will get shot) it is clearly deemed unacceptable.

I like debate, I like to hear the opinions of others, and I do find this pack/herd double standard very interesting.......

An excellent point and very true.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 08:10
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Quite an eye opener.

But
, as astrology is NOT in fact a recognized religion.....Stern%20Smile
He chortled in his joy.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 10:03

Quite an eye opener.

But, as astrology is NOT in fact a recognized religion.....Stern%20Smile

It's recognised by those that believe in it. There are some 'recognised' religions that dont 'recognise' other 'recognised' religions. Oh Lord, I'm starting to sound like Donald Rumsfeld..

I think the point being that although Astrology is perhaps not a religion as such, it's a belief system that is no doubt sacred to some people. The same goes for Scientology, which in the eyes of it's followers IS a religion. Few people around here would give Scientology the time of day - myself included - but some would potentially be upset about knocking peoples faith in 'organised' or 'recognised' religions. .
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 10:16

Quite an eye opener.

But, as astrology is NOT in fact a recognized religion.....Stern%20Smile

It's recognised by those that believe in it. There are some 'recognised' religions that dont 'recognise' other 'recognised' religions. Oh Lord, I'm starting to sound like Donald Rumsfeld..

I think the point being that although Astrology is perhaps not a religion as such, it's a belief system that is no doubt sacred to some people. The same goes for Scientology, which in the eyes of it's followers IS a religion. Few people around here would give Scientology the time of day - myself included - but some would potentially be upset about knocking peoples faith in 'organised' or 'recognised' religions. .
PC never said it was a religion, or even a belief system. She was making a point about the way it was being offhandedly dismissed in this thread.

Edited by darqdean - June 28 2007 at 10:16
What?
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 12:45

Quite an eye opener.

But
, as astrology is NOT in fact a recognized religion.....Stern%20Smile

So?  Does that make it any less valid than any religion that has been "recognized" by whomever it is that decides what is and what isn't a religion?

Edited by rileydog22 - June 28 2007 at 12:46

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>