Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBelieving in the Paranormal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: What do you believe in (you may choose many)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [11.36%]
16 [36.36%]
2 [4.55%]
11 [25.00%]
3 [6.82%]
2 [4.55%]
3 [6.82%]
2 [4.55%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 13:06
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

Quite an eye opener. I know that if some folk spoke about religion in the way they walk about some of these things that they would probably be booted from the board. I am not suggesting bootings...far from it, but I do find it interesting that we can say "oh yes, astrology...... load of unproven mumbo jumo" Oh, but sir, what if I believe and it brings me comfort?I can't help that I am afraid...it's all a pile'o'hogwash! But if we replace the word astrology with the name of a recognised religion (I wont use an example...it'll get taken out of context and I will get shot) it is clearly deemed unacceptable. I like debate, I like to hear the opinions of others, and I do find this pack/herd double standard very interesting....... ok....... as you were chaps............
An excellent point and very true.
But, as astrology is NOT in fact a recognized religion.....Stern%20Smile
It's recognised by those that believe in it. There are some 'recognised' religions that dont 'recognise' other 'recognised' religions. Oh Lord, I'm starting to sound like Donald Rumsfeld.. I think the point being that although Astrology is perhaps not a religion as such, it's a belief system that is no doubt sacred to some people. The same goes for Scientology, which in the eyes of it's followers IS a religion. Few people around here would give Scientology the time of day - myself included - but some would potentially be upset about knocking peoples faith in 'organised' or 'recognised' religions. .

PC never said it was a religion, or even a belief system. She was making a point about the way it was being offhandedly dismissed in this thread.

'Offhandedly dismissed' in a way that many wouldn't tolerate if the target of that dismissal was 'accepted religions'
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 13:42
^ yep, that's what I meant.
What?
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 13:44
I offhandedly dismiss diet sodas as the Devil's work, but the only who seem to get offended by that are preppy young anorexic girls.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 13:47

Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

Quite an eye opener. I know that if some folk spoke about religion in the way they walk about some of these things that they would probably be booted from the board. I am not suggesting bootings...far from it, but I do find it interesting that we can say "oh yes, astrology...... load of unproven mumbo jumo" Oh, but sir, what if I believe and it brings me comfort?I can't help that I am afraid...it's all a pile'o'hogwash! But if we replace the word astrology with the name of a recognised religion (I wont use an example...it'll get taken out of context and I will get shot) it is clearly deemed unacceptable. I like debate, I like to hear the opinions of others, and I do find this pack/herd double standard very interesting....... ok....... as you were chaps............
An excellent point and very true.
But, as astrology is NOT in fact a recognized religion.....Stern%20Smile
It's recognised by those that believe in it. There are some 'recognised' religions that dont 'recognise' other 'recognised' religions. Oh Lord, I'm starting to sound like Donald Rumsfeld.. I think the point being that although Astrology is perhaps not a religion as such, it's a belief system that is no doubt sacred to some people. The same goes for Scientology, which in the eyes of it's followers IS a religion. Few people around here would give Scientology the time of day - myself included - but some would potentially be upset about knocking peoples faith in 'organised' or 'recognised' religions. .

PC never said it was a religion, or even a belief system. She was making a point about the way it was being offhandedly dismissed in this thread.

'Offhandedly dismissed' in a way that many wouldn't tolerate if the target of that dismissal was 'accepted religions'

looks like everyone's been reading The God Delusion...Wink
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 13:49
I'll quite happily dismiss all religion as mumbo-jumbo, security-blanket pseudo-science...

there. said it. Not insulting any individuals though.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 13:51
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

I'll quite happily dismiss all religion as mumbo-jumbo, security-blanket pseudo-science...

But the people who believe are Censored

And they can Censored themselves.

Shocked

Censored mean "huggers/hug" by the wayWink
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 15:12
I took an astronomy class in college. Just for fun, the professor did an astrology experiment. He passed out a list of personality descriptions that are generally associated with each sign. Only, they did not have the signs labeled with them. We picked out the personality that best fit us, and then wrote down the sign we were born with. After all the datat was in, he charted the results. If there was any validity, there should have been some sort of pattern. But, there was not even a hint of a pattern . It was all over the place.
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 17:01
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

I pretty much do that too.  I try to stay respectful of religion, but sometimes that's pretty hard; there doesn't seem to be a hell of a lot to respect. 

Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 18:21

Originally posted by Sasquamo Sasquamo wrote:

Bigfoot

Where are the dead ones? the bones? (surely we'd have found the remains of such large animals, by now!)

Where's the poop?

Where's the bits of fur?

Where's the recent, reliable photographic evidence/pelts/tracks from: native Americans, loggers, prospectors, hikers, environmentalists, campers, etc?

They are very smart, they make sure they always clean up any hair that falls off of them and they put they bury their waste like cats.  They even carry a big makeshift hoe behing them to scrap away their tracks.  They also bury their dead in ten foot holes.  Believe me, they'll reveal themselves when they feel the time is right.
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2007 at 17:36
A collection of possibly the best Ghost/poltergeist/demon activity on tape ... almost everything here just looks too real to be fake. There aren't big screams or things like that, so you can turn up the volume a bit. Maybe you should watch it at least a few hours before going to sleep. Fake or not, it's scary stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deoJUBW9CI8&mode=user&search=#
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2007 at 17:03
Originally posted by Zitro Zitro wrote:

A collection of possibly the best Ghost/poltergeist/demon activity on tape ... almost everything here just looks too real to be fake. There aren't big screams or things like that, so you can turn up the volume a bit. Maybe you should watch it at least a few hours before going to sleep. Fake or not, it's scary stuff.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deoJUBW9CI8&mode=user&search=#

Wow! Some of that poltergeist stuff does look very real, and very scary.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234