Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoy Harper.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roy Harper.
    Posted: June 22 2007 at 13:23
I've read the threads on new suggestions but it's gonna take a while to accumulate all the required info., so for now I'll just post this to get some sort of feedback (hopefully). Roy Harper. If ever an artist deserved the title Prog Folk Rock then it is he. At the very least he should be listed as Prog Related, and here's why:

1966, Roy records his first rough and ready collection of self penned folky songs. The result is his debut LP, "The Sophisticated Beggar". Hardly Prog, but hey, it was '66.

The LP was released in '67. Later that same year he recorded his second LP, "Come Out Fighting Genghis Smith", produced by Shel Talmy, (who also produced The Who's first album "My Generation".)  One track, "Circle", was 11 minutes long. Roy's audience was already starting to expand beyond the confines of contemporary folk.

1969 saw the release of "Folkjokeopus" which contained the 15 minute (epic, by '69 standards) "McGoohan's Blues".

1969, and Roy signs to Harvest and releases "Flat Baroque and Berserk". Here's where the prog connections really start to kick in. One track, "Hell's Angels", features electric instruments played by none other than THE NICE.

1970. Led Zeppelin and Roy play the Bath festival and a bond is instantly struck. Zep, inspired by Roy's acoustic folk, record Led Zeppelin III including the track "(Hats off to) Roy Harper." An admirable and honest acknowledgement. Imagine Marillion Writing a song called "(Respect To) Peter Gabriel".
Roy records his best (by common consent) LP "Stormcock" containing four epic tracks and featuring Jimmy Page playing acoustic lead guitar under the pseudonym S. Flavius Mercurius, and orchestral arrangements by David Bedford.  Harper went on to appear in "The Song Remains the Same" and to provide photography for the sleeve of "Physical Graffiti".

Ian Anderson has sited his friend Harper as a major influence on Tull's transition from blues to folk.

After "Stormcock" came "Lifemask", (the soundtrack to the film "Made" featuring Harper) on which Page played throughout , followed by "Valentine", again with Page. Then came "Flashes From the Archives of Oblivion", a live album recorded at the Rainbow, London in '74  featuring contributions from Page, Bedford, Ronnie Lane and Kieth Moon.

1975, and Pink Floyd are recording "Wish You Were Here." "Have A Cigar" is proving to be a bit of a problem as the vocal part is out of the range of both Gilmour and Waters. Step forward one Roy Harper, who happens to be in the same studio at the time. ("Prog related" enough for you yet?)

Gilmour then returns the favour by recording the backing track to "The Game" from Roy's next LP, "HQ", along with John Paul Jones and Steve Broughton. The album also features David Bedford's arrangement of the Grimethorpe Colliery Brass Band and Roy's new backing group Trigger, which consists of Chris Spedding, Dave Cochrane and BILL BRUFORD. (Still not prog related enough??)

Next came "Bullinamingvase", with the brilliantly proggy "One Of Those Days In England", an epic which take up one track on side one (with guests Paul and Linda McCartney) and all of side two of the LP. Divided into interweaving suites of varying styles and time signatures, this is a beautiful musical journey about just what historical Englishness really means.
Musicians include Herbie Flowers (Sky), Percy Jones (Brand X), and BJ Cole (session musician for Uriah Heep, amongst others) .
Around this time Roy co-wrote 'Short and Sweet" with David Gilmour, who recorded it for his first eponymous solo LP.

For most of the 70's Roy was produced by Peter Jenner,  whose voice can be heard at the beginning of Pink Floyd's "Astronomy Domine". Yet another prog connection.

1980 sees the release of "The Unknown Soldier". Gilmour plays on four tracks, including Harper's version of their "Short and Sweet", and Kate Bush duets on the track "You." Roy returns the favour by singing backing vocals on Bush's "Breathing" from her album "Never Forever."

He's still at it to this day and I could go on and on, (mentioning things such as Roy's guitar and vocal contribution on "Up The 'Pool" on Jethro Tull's 1996 tribute album, "To Cry You a Song"),but come on, how much evidence do you need? Harper is One of the most prog related artists ever to record a note.

Ladies and gents of the PA Admin, I humbly submit that he be included on this site as "Prog Related".

Perception is truth, ergo opinion is fact.
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 01:54
I'm very surprised he's not in the archives.

Michael Chapman would also be worthy of inclusion.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 03:34
I'm a bit surprised myself...
emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 06:39
Did I forget to mention Roy's concept album "The Dream Society", featuring Ian Anderson on flute? 
And what about the live 1984 video with Hawkwind and the Enid?

Edited by emdiar - June 23 2007 at 06:54
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 09:11
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27289&KW=roy+harper

He's been accepted for prog-related (not full-blown prog-folk, though)

Still waiting for Chris Stacey's bio and his commitment to include tha albums.

Anyone else is willing to write a bio and enter the albums.

The bio must be your own and I will credit the author below.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 09:13
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27289&KW=roy+harper

He's been accepted for prog-related (not full-blown prog-folk, though)

Still waiting for Chris Stacey's bio and his commitment to include tha albums.

Anyone else is willing to write a bio and enter the albums.

The bio must be your own and I will credit the author below.

excellent....  Clap
Heptade View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 09:15
RH is proggy, definitely. Stormcock is a great album!
The world keeps spinning, people keep sinning
And all the rest is just bullsh*t
-Steve Kilbey
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 09:18
Stormcock is one of my all time favourite albums.

When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease from HQ makes me want to cry every time that I hear it.

It was played at John Peel's funeral

Edited by Man Erg - June 23 2007 at 09:18

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 10:08

Folkjokeopus (69) StarStarStarStar  >>>> a huge step forward, still mostly acoustic folk guitar, but many interesting development in raga or far-eastern influences. The start of his extended tracks with the superb McGohan’s Blues or One For all. Other highlights are Sgt Sunshine and Composer of Life >> poignant lyrics. Definitely progressive although not really “prog per se”

Flat, Baroque And Bezerk (70) StarStarStar,5  >>>debut on prog label Harvest: his back up are The Nice and it has some absolute stunning tracks like I Hate White Man and Hell’s Angels, How Does it Feel and Tiddler’s Ground. >>> more than prog related for sure

Stormcock (71) StarStarStarStar>> One of my favourite. Only four tracks and Jimmy Page as a guest and the collab of very prog arranger David Bedford and produced by Floyd manager Peter Jenner. Same Old Rock is entirely prog and a very impressive One Man RnR Band. Me and my Woman is again very progressive in its nature/spirit >> orchestrations by Bedford. Page will write Hats Off To Harper in his honour on Zep III

Lifemask  (73) StarStarStar, 5  >>> another peak and deeply disturbed album. Guest include Page, Laurie Allen (Gong), one of the Broughton Brothers and Brian Davison (Nice), and still with ex-Floyd Peter Jenner. Harper hits rock bottom in mental health around the same time as Wyatt does physically. Includes the side-long Lord’s Prayer as a five-part suite with a very lengthy lyrical passage that could remind us of Floyd’s Eclipse or more evidently their later Dogs track, but this is hardly the only highlight on the album. >> certainly prog-related.

Jugula (85) >> Harper was much more rare in the 80’s, but this yet another album with Jimmy Page on board (credited to both in some editions). The album that introduced me to Harper, but I was obviously not ready for him, back then. The album is very interesting and is a typically odd and off the bat Harper. Light years away from what was being done at the time. Again a good case for prog related.

Edited by Sean Trane - June 23 2007 at 10:09
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 10:18
sounds like you've made a case for more than just a prog related addtion Hugues.
emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 14:12
SmileClap
Thankyou very much to all concerned. Roy's always been one of my personal faves, and I'm very happy to have him recognised as "Prog Related" as I suggested. I wasn't aware he was already being considered.

I agree with Sean Trane that some of his songs are prog, especially his extended epics, but that may not be enough to catogorise him as a full blown progger. Never the less I would recomend his catalogue to any fan of English progfolk.

Edited by emdiar - June 23 2007 at 14:19
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 16:20
Originally posted by emdiar emdiar wrote:

SmileClap
Thankyou very much to all concerned. Roy's always been one of my personal faves, and I'm very happy to have him recognised as "Prog Related" as I suggested. I wasn't aware he was already being considered.

I agree with Sean Trane that some of his songs are prog, especially his extended epics, but that may not be enough to catogorise him as a full blown progger. Never the less I would recomend his catalogue to any fan of English progfolk.

write up a bio and send it to Hugues...  far too many artists it seems get approved.. then never added. 
emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 05:17
You know what, I might just do that. Time may be a bit of a problem, and as for zipping up mp3s and all that that entails, I must admit to being one of those technophobes who deeply laments the passing of vinyl. In my house it's still 1973.LOL.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 05:23
Originally posted by emdiar emdiar wrote:

You know what, I might just do that. Time may be a bit of a problem, and as for zipping up mp3s and all that that entails, I must admit to being one of those technophobes who deeply laments the passing of vinyl. In my house it's still 1973.LOL.

hahhaha... same here.. (never mind the Iron Maiden blaring in the background here right now). 

Take your time...lord knows he isn't going anywhere hahhaha.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 06:04
Jugular is terrific, drug hazed album!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 09:27
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

sounds like you've made a case for more than just a prog related addtion Hugues.

Actually not really!! I made a case of him being worthy of prog related with his five proggiest albums;  The rest of his dicopraphy (there is something like 25 albums) isn't really prog folk, even if there are prog stars appearing now & then.
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 09:47
I know.... just me and my funny way of looking at things Hugues.. this is a prog site... not a career retrospective site.  It's the prog music that matters.... PR says nothing about what kind of prog he did do ....does it?   Not to bring up PR again hahha.. but is it for related artists.. or artist who did do prog albums but didn't make a 'career' of it.   I know I'm alone in thinking like that... so I sit back and manage my little corner of PA's best I can hahha. 

Edited by micky - June 25 2007 at 09:47
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 04:38
So any takers for writing the bio?
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 12:23
Roy Harper would be a very worthwhile addition IMHO Smile
Prog Archives Tour Van
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 23:52
Emdy (and other) Harper fans: I've heard of Harper in mags (and in that Zeppelin song title, of course) but I've never heard any Harper.Embarrassed

If you could recommend just ONE RH album to make a convert out of a total newcomer, which would it be? Which would best pique the interest of a Harper "virgin" (who's also a folk and classic rock fan)?

I'm Harper-curious! Big%20smile
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>