FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJan Akkerman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jan Akkerman
    Posted: February 27 2005 at 12:58
He's one of the most magnificent guitar players I've ever seen. Such grace. Does anybody know what he did withput Focus? I see he has wuite a few albums, but what kind of sound are they? Are they worth looking into? It would be a shame to see such an awesome guitarist' skills g to waiste.
Collaborators will take your soul.
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2005 at 13:12

I saw him live last Nov. in London... and he was just awesome.  He may look like my grandfather now.. but he can still sure play with speed and accuracy.  I've not really been into him in the past, but I really do appreciate his skill.  Hearing Hocus Pocus without the yodeling was such a treat tho... Fantastic!!

If someone hadn't of stole my camera.. I'd have quite a few great shots of him!!

THIS IS ELP
Radioactive Toy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2005 at 13:14

I've been to the 5 great guitars show.. along with harry saksioni and jan vaarzon morel (and some other guy)...

really skilled indeed!

Reed's failed joke counter:
|||||
R.I.P. You could have reached infinity....
Rob The Plant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2005 at 13:17

Sorry to hear about your camera 3fates. So do any of you know the best of his albums, or should I just guess?

greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2005 at 13:22
i have profile, one of his solo albums: excellent! he is not only hard rock: he also sound medieval, like on the beautiful acoustic guitar part on glass hammer's beyind the great beyond.
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Rob The Plant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2005 at 13:28
Nice, I'll see if I can order Profile, and maybe some others.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2005 at 13:44
I only have his 3rd album - which is kinda funky, verging on elevator muzak in places - but great chill-out listening. Not much virtuosity on it, but plenty of ambience and grooves.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2005 at 14:52

I have about 20 or so Akkerman solo Lps. He is definitely one of the most versatile guitar players on the planet. Here are some of my faves with brief descriptions. Ready? Then we'll begin.

10,000 Clowns On A Rainy Day- Double Live album from the 1990's featuring a lot of Focus material.

Tabernakel- From 1973. Lots of unacompanied Lute. Electric version of House Of The King. 14 minute showpiece with drum solo and Akkerman playing sitar sounding guitars.

Profile- From early 1970's. One side of electric freaking out and another with unaccompanied lute pieces concluding with a straight up blues number called Stick.

Talent For Sale- Lots of cover versions including (if yo can believe it ) Green Onions

From The Basement- Early eighties. Akkerman experimenting with the Roland Synth Axe. Reggae like cover version of Dylan's All Along The Watchtower. No acoustic guitar on this one

The Complete Guitarist- A great compilation of some of the more esoteric stuff he did in the first half of the eighties.

Also check out the first Brainbox album for sure features an Akkerman extended solo as wellas as some great solos. In CD form it offers bonus tracks.

Other bands he played with before brainbox or Focus were the Hunters and more obscurely Johnny and The Cellar Rockers.

My best advice ,though is to visit his website as well as a couple of others which are not official to get a complete discography.

One last thing. Avoid Jan Akkerman 3. I just don't know what was going on in his mind when he recorded this bomb. Best descripion for this bomb is bad really bad bad elevator music.

Try and check out a band called Forcefield II he played on their last two albums in the early eighties with Cozy Powell on drums. They're hiding somewhere in my record collection. I'll try and dig them out to give you the titles.

Finally if you can find it and I don't believe it ever came out on CD is The Two Sides Of Peter Banks ( solo album from the original Yes guitarist ) which features Akkerman on about half the tracks as well as John Wetton on bass, Steve Hackett on guitars and Mr Phil Collins on the kit. Sounds a lot like Banks' early 70's band Flash in some places.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Vibrationbaby
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2005 at 15:29
I'm going to see Jan Akkerman next month.I've seen him twice in the last 12 months already including the Progeny gig that 3fates mentioned.Great player,great guy.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 10:32
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I'm going to see Jan Akkerman next month.I've seen him twice in the last 12 months already including the Progeny gig that 3fates mentioned.Great player,great guy.
You are a lucky man Rich. Unfortunately I have to settle with just the recordings. Ithink Focus played Montreal in the early seventies bu that was a bit before my time.
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 20:59
For all I know the last years he's kinda troubadouring around, he played the blues festival in Utrecht a couple odd years ago, I never give the man due credit when he's not around, but the few times I saw and heared him play it was manna from the skies, absolutely terrific.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
TBWART View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 03:44
Try Eli with Jan Akkerman and Kaz Lux, it's a prog concept about some guy who is a lumberjack. It's very emotional and has beautiful lyrics and harmonies. Akkermans playing is very jazzy and flawless (which is virtually never the case) (and for the Dutch among us; it has Patricia Paay as a background singer!!!LOLLOL)
''progression is trying to eliminate boundries''
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 09:06

One of my Top 5 guitarists for the whole history of prog rock!! Hackett and Oldfield are in this personal Top 5, too.

Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 09:12

He made some excellent jazzy albums with Phillip Catherine during his time with Focus and after

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 10:13
ROB: He's done some fantastic solo-albums that u MUST check out! Start with Tabernakel and Profile....then move on with Aranjuez, Jan Akkerman and a few others. You can trust me in this, I know! Cheers:) Ps. Read more about him on "Rate your music" web-site and on his own home-page and the two major Focus-sites  Ds.
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 10:34
Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

If someone hadn't of stole my camera.. I'd have quite a few great shots of him!!

Bast*rds. I always look forward to your piccys.
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 14:00
Originally posted by Rob The Plant Rob The Plant wrote:

Sorry to hear about your camera 3fates. So do any of you know the best of his albums, or should I just guess?

Rob my man, you couldve just asked, we merely cross the road from my house to my unlces, and give a listen to his Jan albums. i think he has two or three, dont jump into it blindly

Fantômas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 14:05
Originally posted by Rob The Plant Rob The Plant wrote:

You should guess!
And above all, is punk
Hiwatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 10:14

Excellent guitarist with great feeling and technique melted together. I have video of Focus 1973 Concert At Rainbow and he plays like virtuoso on his black Les Paul Custom. Great show!

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 17:36

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I enjoyed the third gig ..in case anyone was wondering

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>