Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFranco Battiato Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which of these you prefer (first era)?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
4 [23.53%]
10 [58.82%]
1 [5.88%]
1 [5.88%]
1 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2007 at 11:30
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Sulle Corde di Aries and Clic will be on my next purchase list. Have to see what the Xmas damage will be first. The cool thing is Battiato's CD's are still available in the US for a reasonable price. ($10) Thumbs%20Up

when you do get them.. I'd love to know what you think. Drop me a line or dig this beast of a thread up.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2007 at 12:28

Sulle Corde di Aries and Clic will be on my next purchase list. Have to see what the Xmas damage will be first. The cool thing is Battiato's CD's are still available in the US for a reasonable price. ($10) Thumbs%20Up
Odd that - I'm sure a couple of months ago they were around $30 each, so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw how cheap they were yesterday and with the exchange-rate going in my favour at the moment they are a bargain...
What?
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2007 at 12:35
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

Odd that - I'm sure a couple of months ago they were around $30 each, so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw how cheap they were yesterday and with the exchange-rate going in my favour at the moment they are a bargain...

$10 is a reasonable price indeed, good luck with your purchases, i am sure you will enjoy both albums Tongue

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2007 at 22:29
Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

$10 is a reasonable price indeed, good luck with your purchases, i am sure you will enjoy both albums Tongue

he willl... Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 08:08
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

voted for Sulle Corde di Aries...since it's my favorite of that era (though I'm the only one of the RPI team to think so about that one) .. but Clic is close and love all 4.

LOVE the second era...  I did a poll on  those a month or two ago.  First and Second era...  the third era is soon to come hahhaha.

Sulle Corde di Aries... is the better one from the fitst four. I also like Clic some tracks are worthy of Sulle.

Pollution is still interesting, too. the debut is useless IMHO.

I'll try to attack the second era where I suppose that Battiato is even more up Terry Riley's alley in minimalism. Which one should I start with? (provided my library has it.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 13:41
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

voted for Sulle Corde di Aries...since it's my favorite of that era (though I'm the only one of the RPI team to think so about that one) .. but Clic is close and love all 4.

LOVE the second era...  I did a poll on  those a month or two ago.  First and Second era...  the third era is soon to come hahhaha.

Sulle Corde di Aries... is the better one from the fitst four. I also like Clic some tracks are worthy of Sulle.

Pollution is still interesting, too. the debut is useless IMHO.

I'll try to attack the second era where I suppose that Battiato is even more up Terry Riley's alley in minimalism. Which one should I start with? (provided my library has it.

oohhh... will give you two choices.. (and forgive the reviews Hugues.. I am not a good reviewer.. but they should give the jist of them)

if you care what I like best..I recommend the self titled album, Battiato...

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=122451

or the easier to step into... Jukebox.

(just reread the review.. and proof enough that I suck .. didn't really talk much about the music itself rather I tried to explain it .. might edit this tonight when I get home)

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=122797

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 15:48
oh yeah Hugues... a nice write up I found in internet land some time back,  from some cat  who got the RPI bug.  He had this to say about Battiato. Not sure what you 'think' of Terry Riley.  But like me,  this guy thinks his work.... is far superior. Also mentions the track on the S/T album,  Cafe-Table-Musik, that alone was worth 3 stars to me (2 for the site)

ranco Battiato: Sulle corde di Aries

One can half imagine at Progressive rock meets they have heated discussions about which of Battiato's LPs are the most superior. It's probably a toss-up between this from 1973 and Clic (1974) which garnered a reissue on Island records, one of the very few feats of cross-over that Italo Prog achieved. Clic is a little too anti-septic for my now hoary tastes, and I'm suspicious of anything like Bill Bruford, Peter Gabriel or Robert Fripp's work which dons a smart suit, tidies up the synth parts and saunters into the post-punk vanguard pretending it was now trendy.

Like those mass classroom scraps you had when you were a kid, the lame thing to do when the teacher showed up was to tuck your shirt in, loiter at the back pretending you were just examining the poster with the frog-spawn on it, that in no way were you involved in any kind of debacle. The stupid kids on the other hand didn't notice the teacher had come in, might have still been brawling, perhaps one holding a dustbin in his hand. Clic is a little bit too clean and thus, even though ten years ago we might have applauded it for being presciently new-wave, now I sort of despise it for its sleek textures.

My friend, the scholar Jon Dale gets plenty of props from me, so he can field the occasional catty swipe; he loves it! Jon is something of an authority on Battiato, indeed he was the first person to play me any, but in some way I suspect this may in some way be to do with the fact that FB survived the blood-letting that was punk and went on to do records such as "Cafe-Table-Musik", which Dale incidentally loves. Dale veers away from the unacceptable horror that these Italo Prog records represent and indeed some of the stuff he recommended I check out was rather too tasteful for me. Stuff like Prima Materia recordings and the Die Schnatel label. Ah, the meta-critical, nitty-gritty, bitch-fest that is music blogging! Doncha just love it.....

"Sulle corde di Aries" is a masterpiece and an essential purchase. Franco's singing is almost in the style of a Franciscan monk layered over these harpsichord and hand-drum grooves which are drenched in echo, hand-triggered bass pulses reverberating over freely-plucked mbira. In many ways it follows the original hairy impulse of minimal music as manifested in Terry Riley records like "Persian Surgery Dervishes" but Battiato's feel for melody and harmony is infinitely superior, one finding oneself adrift on these organic, divinely lyrical tracks is as though one was drifting down-river on a makeshift raft encircled by swallows.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2007 at 06:47
hope everyone gets a Battiato album under the tree this year LOL

Hugues... let me know if you get a chance to listen to any of those 2nd period albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12